Calvert Co. Boarding Stables

Pokabout

Hi all, I really need to find a nice barn to board at in Calvert. My mare just passed away Sunday morning, and I am in the process of trying to find a new barn to keep her half-sister at once she arrives here. There is nothing wrong with the place I'm currently at, but I just need a change of scenery and perhaps a place closer to my house, which is located in Saint Leonard.

Thank you for looking at this post, I appreciate it.

fredsaid2

So sorry to hear of your mare, hope you're holding up ok.
Glad you're looking at a new horse and will keep riding.

I've only been at a few barns on the southern end. They sounds too far for you but if you're interested in my experiences there let me know.

Best of luck with your new mare. Hope you find a great place.
:smile:

barncat

I read about your mare passing on COTH, I'm very sorry. I'm glad to see you are going to continue riding and I really can't blame you for wanting to move to a different barn.

The only barn I know about in Calvert is Taney Place. Susie Wells owns the place and leases my Arab and takes wonderful care of him. She's at a dead end so there's not much traffic and you can ride in fields along the river. She also has an indoor. I'm not sure how far it is from St. Leonard, she's off of 231, I forget the number of the route, about midway between Prince Frederick and the Benedict Bridge.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
barncat said:
The only barn I know about in Calvert is Taney Place. Susie Wells owns the place and leases my Arab and takes wonderful care of him. She's at a dead end so there's not much traffic and you can ride in fields along the river. She also has an indoor. I'm not sure how far it is from St. Leonard, she's off of 231, I forget the number of the route, about midway between Prince Frederick and the Benedict Bridge.

Susie is at the end of Adelina Road (508). Absolutely gorgeous place. Susie is a top notch person. :yay:

R

remaxrealtor

Pokabout said:
Hi all, I really need to find a nice barn to board at in Calvert. My mare just passed away Sunday morning, and I am in the process of trying to find a new barn to keep her half-sister at once she arrives here. There is nothing wrong with the place I'm currently at, but I just need a change of scenery and perhaps a place closer to my house, which is located in Saint Leonard.

Thank you for looking at this post, I appreciate it.

I'm so sorry to hear about your mare. Hang in there, there's another girl out there who needs your love now. I'll keep you in my prayers.

barncat

cattitude said:
Susie is at the end of Adelina Road (508). Absolutely gorgeous place. Susie is a top notch person. :yay:

I cannot say enough good things about Susie. When my Arab was having trouble she stuck it through and was dedicated to bring him back to complete health. She's a generous lady who went beyond what was necessary to take care of my guy and I owe her a lot of graditude.

And besides, she has all those gorgeous Fresians, and the babies to play with, who wouldn't want to keep their horse there?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
barncat said:
I cannot say enough good things about Susie. When my Arab was having trouble she stuck it through and was dedicated to bring him back to complete health. She's a generous lady who went beyond what was necessary to take care of my guy and I owe her a lot of graditude.

And besides, she has all those gorgeous Fresians, and the babies to play with, who wouldn't want to keep their horse there?

She used to raise sheep and we met her through 4-H. My son and her daughter went to school together and showed sheep together. Susie was just getting into the boarding as we were finishing up with our "sheeping" days.

Last edited:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
appyday said:
How does Otter get along with sheep? Or is that why you don't DO sheep anymore :shrug:

:lol: We haven't had them for a while now. I loved them, especially Beau...the wether-turned-ram.

Otter

Nothing to see here
The Wells' are probably the finest people we've met in the 16 yrs we've been in Calvert. :yay:

appyday said:
How does Otter get along with sheep? Or is that why you don't DO sheep anymore :shrug:

Her answer wasn't what you expected, was it??? :lmao::lmao::lmao::lmao:

W

WildHorses

Susie's place is very very nice. It it also one of only five licensed boarding stables in Calvert County. I think the others are Fresh Meadows, Lucky Cricket, Reverie Acres, and one more that I can't recall. You can find them listed on the Maryland Department of Agriculture's website under licensed stables. There are many listed in the equiery but the majority are not licensed. Good luck.

changeling

I've visited the four stables listed. All of them are beautiful. Susie has had her indoor arena the longest but the other three have brand new indoors. Lucky Cricket's indoor is a Coverall and quite large. Fresh Meadows and Reverie Acres both have wood construction arenas and Reverie Acres has very nice large veiwing room. I would recommend any of them. They all have something different to offer, depending on what you're looking for.

W

WildHorses

I understand that the last three stables, Fresh Meadows, Lucky Cricket and Reverie Acres all have websites with pictures so an actual physical visit isn't necessary to get a feel for the facility. How is your search coming along? Best of luck.

W

WildHorses

I can't get to her from your site, am I missing something? I clicked on every page but the dogs and cats. Help.

Pokabout

Thank you everyone, I am actually going to be speaking with the owners of Reverie Acres soon about boarding my new mare there. Silly me, they live about 5-7 minutes down the road. :lol:

Appy- Natalie is such a wonderful person, She's actually the one who sold me my mare. I had forgotten about her boarding, though.

Thanks for all the heads up on the different barns everyone, maybe this thread will also become helpful for someone else.

:)

W

WildHorses

Hope Mr. Smith shows up soon. Where are you located in St. Leonard, are you on Mackall Road or on the other side of 4? Happy to see more stables in Calvert County. :dance:

W

WildHorses

Four*Leaf*Farm said:
I would have an opening available if Mr. Smith would come back and put my last two stalls in for me.. :rolleyes:

Just visited your website. Your portraits and purses are amazing. Hope to speak with you soon. Do you have anything at Just One More Tack Store in Prince Frederick? :howdy:

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
Hope Mr. Smith shows up soon. Where are you located in St. Leonard, are you on Mackall Road or on the other side of 4? Happy to see more stables in Calvert County.

:howdy: I'm on Williams Wharf... we've been here since 2000 and love it here.

Just visited your website. Your portraits and purses are amazing. Hope to speak with you soon. Do you have anything at Just One More Tack Store in Prince Frederick?

:blushing: Thanks! I do have a couple things at the tack shop.. I feel bad cuz I haven't been to see them. They are nice in there...

DZIGGY

Have you thought about Cage Farm on Mackall Road. I am not sure what the board would be there but I know there are a lot of people that talk about that place. Do you have a Farrier? Do you need one? Ziegler's Farrier Service 410-586-8056