Baseboard Heat

I have a question....I have hot water baseboard heat in my house and we just turned it on for the first time last night. We just moved in in May so we haven't used it before.

Is there a safe distance I have to keep furniture and stuff away from the baseboards because I'm not trying to catch my house on fire ya know.

:peace:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
workin hard said:
I have a question....I have hot water baseboard heat in my house and we just turned it on for the first time last night. We just moved in in May so we haven't used it before.

Is there a safe distance I have to keep furniture and stuff away from the baseboards because I'm not trying to catch my house on fire ya know.

Nope, it's just hot water. I wouldn't put anything that could melt directly against it though. They do get pretty warm.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
workin hard said:

In the house I grew up in, we had electric baseboard heat.
We kept everything about 6-10 inches from the walls and never had a fire. :shrug:

Also, you might want to arrange your furniture differently in the winter than in the summer to keep it away from baseboards.

pixiegirl said:
Nope, it's just hot water. I wouldn't put anything that could melt directly against it though. They do get pretty warm.
Thats what I thought but I just wanted to make sure with comforters and our furniture that sit on the wall aren't going to burn my house down. :lol:

Pete

Repete
workin hard said:

8 feet, you have to push all your furniture to the middle of the room until March :yay:

Pete said:
8 feet, you have to push all your furniture to the middle of the room until March :yay:
You are still smartin' from that azz scorch you got when you fell out of bed last winter, are'tcha...:ohwell:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
It won't get any warmer then what the boiler is set (usually 170 to 180) so if something has a flashpoint below that I wouldn't put it near it but otherwise it's no problem how close you put your stuff.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
workin hard said:
Like Boom "there goes my house" time?
Like Boom "there goes whatever is against the baseboard" time.

Basically, if there's anything that will begin to soften, melt, or ignite at temperatures below 170-180 (or whatever your system is set at), don't put it next to the baseboard.

Not sure what most fabrics are good for.

StanleyRugg

workin hard said:
Whats a flashpoint? :confused:
Flash point is the tempature what something busts into flames. A sofa has a real high flashpoint, whereas methane from bovine flatulence trapped in a inner tube aint so high.

You had ought to leave flash point stuff to professional scientists like myself.

camily

Peace
StanleyRugg said:
Flash point is the tempature what something busts into flames. A sofa has a real high flashpoint, whereas methane from bovine flatulence trapped in a inner tube aint so high.

You had ought to leave flash point stuff to professional scientists like myself.
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
The baseboards should have a covering so that nothing makes contact with the radiant part of the heating system.

Make sure that you have a good airflow below the baseboards and an opening near the top for air circulation. Overall it is an extremely safe and very dry heating system.