The Tides

Bacall

Don't forget your parka, because the first thing you will notice when you walk in the door is that it feels like freakin' Greenland inside. The next thing you will notice is the hostess with the mostess, wearing her black cargo pants. Elegant.

After mentioning the temperature to the hostess, my toes and I tried to get past the discomfort and attempt to enjoy a lunch with delightful friends, but they were cold, too. Forgetting was a tad difficult when everyone was sitting at the table making the flat ware rattle.

Placing our order was fairly painless. Our server told us about the day's unremarkable specials, and that the hamburger would not be available today.

It was a bit of a wait for lunch, but we tried to overlook it since we're civilized people and should be patient, even though we only have an hour for lunch. I'm still trying to decide which is more important, dining in this fine establishment or keeping my job so I can pay my bills. Forgive me, I digress.

When our food arrived, our server had to juggle things around a bit, as he couldn't remember who had ordered what. Then he disappeared, never to return. I had ordered the Californa Dream, which consists of an avocado fan, which would be more accurately described as four slivers of avocado, two roma tomato wedges, 6-8 little spanish olives, cucumber rings (they were actually slices, but it was a better presentation), and a pile of shaved red onion (yum). I ordered the fishy tasting crab salad hidden under what tasted like mayonaisse seasoned with old bay, on top of this.

I would have liked a cup of coffee, but I didn't really have time anyway. After all, it was a leisurely hour and half lunch.

After more then enough patience, we decided that not only was our server not going to remove our dirty dishes from in front of us, he also didn't care to bring us a check.

On our way to the entrance/exit, the manager told us to have a nice day, or something like that. It really didn't seem sincere, as he seemed quite preoccupied. We informed him we needed a check. It took him a few minutes to round that up, then he had to run off somewhere into this fine establisment several times before we actually completed the transaction.