Hardwood Floor Cleaning

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Daily dustmopping aside ...

I don't know for sure if they are the pre-finished ones or not as they were put in the house in 2000, but my guess is they are not, by looking at the strips themselves, but they do have a shine to them as if they were finished following installation. I want to clean them, so I picked up some Murphy's Oil Soap, but I'm a bit skeered. I don't want to strip the finish off them, or have them dry with a dull finish or residue.

I've never had hardwood floors before so I don't know what works/doesn't. Suggestions? :shrug:

TIA! :cheers:

crabcake

BuddyLee said:
My momma just said that if it's 'real' hardwood floor she uses Liquid Gold.:biggrin:
I did that as a test in the formal LR, and about busted my ass when I went to walk on it afterward. :yikes: Of course, it was funny when the dogs when tearing through the house and hit that patch of floor. :lmao:

It is real hardwood ... not laminate or pergo (I hate that crap!) but I don't know if it's got a wax or urethane finish. :ohwell:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
crabcake said:
I did that as a test in the formal LR, and about busted my ass when I went to walk on it afterward. :yikes: Of course, it was funny when the dogs when tearing through the house and hit that patch of floor. :lmao:

It is real hardwood ... not laminate or pergo (I hate that crap!) but I don't know if it's got a wax or urethane finish. :ohwell:
My mother always washed with tea. Yup, iced tea with out the ice. Hot. And of course no sugar!! I think she would also put a small amount of ammonia. And she had a buffer, and would use bowling alley wax about 1 a year. You could always see your face in her floors. I don't know where she got the wax. I'm thinking.......damn it's on the tip of my tongue....... It used to be home parties now you can buy on line... they sell all kinds of brooms. STANLEY!! That's it.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
I have Bruce hardwood floors. I use Swiffer dry cloths for light cleaning, Swiffer wet cloths for medium cleaning, and a Hoover Floor Mate machine using Old English Wood Floor Cleaning liquid for a through cleaning. With 2 dogs and 2 cats, the flooring gets dirty and takes a beating but still looks great. :yay:

crabcake

jazz lady said:
With 2 dogs and 2 cats, the flooring gets dirty and takes a beating but still looks great. :yay:
That's what I'm talking about ... I know the dogs and cat will be the biggest beating the floors take. I have DQ and myself trained to take our shoes off when we come into the house, and we keep a pair of slippers by the door to wear around if need be, and I keep area rugs by the doors and kitchen sink. :yay:

crabcake

Homesick said:
I love wood floors, they are the best.
Me too! They really make a house feel more like a home. :smile: We have 'em in the formal LR & DR, foyer, hallway, kitchen, brkfst room and guest bath, and it takes me all of 10 minutes of dust mopping to get 'em all, whereas vacuuming all those area's would take a good 30 minutes.

I'm glad I thought to ask about this; I just read the back of the Murphy's bottle, and it says to not use it on waxed wood. :frown: I wish I'd have known that before buying it, but luckily, it can be used on other stuff/surfaces to clean, and I love the smell. :yum:

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
crabcake said:
Shocker ... I have a penetrating finish. :whistle:

Does that mean "wax"? :shrug:

Is it considered a role reversal if you wax your own penetrating finish to renew its shine?? :confused: