Worried new mommy...

R

remaxrealtor

I'm sure it's just an adjustment thing, but Lou is a little stressed in his new environment. I went by today and he's trying to come over to me and the other horses block him! I walked out and slipped the lead around his neck and they came over and spooked him so he took off on me. Once I got him again he was acting really skitzy. It seems like one mare in particular is giving him a hard time. Any advice?

PrepH4U

remaxrealtor said:
I'm sure it's just an adjustment thing, but Lou is a little stressed in his new environment. I went by today and he's trying to come over to me and the other horses block him! I walked out and slipped the lead around his neck and they came over and spooked him so he took off on me. Once I got him again he was acting really skitzy. It seems like one mare in particular is giving him a hard time. Any advice?
They have been establishing the herd pecking order, they are mean to the newbies at first. We used to have that problem when we boarded and tried to get our horse out of the pasture. It always seemed to take two of us, one to lead and one to swing a lead in the air at the others so they wouldn't attack ours. Some mares are just queen biatches, I have one now! Appy will have some suggestions I am sure!

Pete

Repete
remaxrealtor said:
Make friends, take the other horses cheese steak sammiches :yay:

PrepH4U said:
They have been establishing the herd pecking order, they are mean to the newbies at first. Some are just queen biatches, I have one now! Appy will have some suggestions I am sure!
Are we still talking about horses...:confused:

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
remaxrealtor said:

Yup, he is finding his place in the herd. Take a short lunge whip if needed when you go out to get him, DON'T take food in the pasture with you, don't feed him treats when he is in the pasture - or even right in front of the dominate horses - they will sometimes remember who got the extra goodies and take it out on him more. Usually it takes 2 weeks or better before every knows their place. Make sure that at dinner time he is able to eat in peace. If they are fed in the pasture in a group there should be one more food bucket than horses. Good Luck!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
remaxrealtor said:
It seems like one mare in particular is giving him a hard time.
Happens all the time. Some unsuspecting newbie comes waltzing into the pasture and, next thing ya know, all the other horses are giving him grief. Just tell Lou to find something to talk about other than his bad experiences at restaurants and finding a new filly to entertain him and his wife. He'll be just fine. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
appyday said:
Paybacks are hell...thats what he did to Arty when I put him over with Eli...(or was that Jacob :confused:) ask Jazz she might remember...
Eli (Lou) is not as tolerant as Roger and Arty learned REAL quick to mind his manners. :lmao:

Like others have said, horses are herd animals and need to establish a "pecking order." I'm sure he will find his place and be fine in a couple of days. :huggy:

R

remaxrealtor

appyday said:
He is still trying to come with grips that I had him gelded :lmao:

Just got back from the stables. Lou has a couple nasty hoof marks, but he has teamed up w/the pinto and he's ruling the roost now. Debbie said he really stood his ground yesterday.

No problems with eating, he gets fed in the stall, thanks to everyone for the tips, especially about not giving himtreats in front of the others!

Rode for an hour in the arena, he's coming along really well, but has discovered the incredibly handsome horse in there with him (the walls are mirrored LOL) and he would much rather admire himself than listen to me!

Appy, let me know how much for the fridge and saddle, I'll send R up with a check to pick the fridge up! You're the best! I like Flat Iron, but miss the company! :sad:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
appyday said:
He is still trying to come with grips that I had him gelded :lmao:

:yikes: Meamie! :lol:

remaxrealtor said:
Just got back from the stables. Lou has a couple nasty hoof marks, but he has teamed up w/the pinto and he's ruling the roost now. Debbie said he really stood his ground yesterday.
See - the pecking order has been established. He just needed to kick butt and take names. :yay:

Rode for an hour in the arena, he's coming along really well, but has discovered the incredibly handsome horse in there with him (the walls are mirrored LOL) and he would much rather admire himself than listen to me!
A little narcissistic tendencies there. :lmao: He really IS a handsome horse. :smile:

R

remaxrealtor

Don't let Appy hear you saying that, she seems to e blind to his dashing good looks!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
remaxrealtor said:
How's his karma holdin up? is he still in the green, or does he need to be bumped up a little??