Horse shows ?

ponyperson

Our trainer says that we will be showing the MSA schooling shows in the Spring. Does anyone know anything about MSA? Are they nice shows? Do they have rated judges? Anything would help. If you know of any other decent schooling shows within 2 hours distance please let me know. We are new to the area.

fredsaid2

MSA has rated classes (C) on saturday, sunday is a schooling show (unrated). SMHA is a schooling show. Both are nice local shows with MSA having a larger more competitive turnout. Some of the riders showing also show the A circuit and do well there.

MSA

SMHA

fredsaid2

Some of the zone divisions are C rated no matter where you go, like Children's Hunter. I'm not clear on it all but have a friend who knows the ins and outs. She could explain if the poster needs, though her trainer should be up on it all. MSA is a nice start and very convenient. They should have fun. :smile:

ponyperson

Our trainer is from Florida, and has never shown in the area. She just brought her two horses up. She is learning about the shows around here, but thinks that upper Marborlo is our nearest bet on a decent schooling show. We are not ready for rated yet. We need to find a good horse/pony to lease or 1/2 lease, so we can move up. We had to sell our medium pony because we were moving and the girls were growing out of her. Thanks for the replies. We are going to watch the 100,000 Grand Prix this weekend. Is anyone going? What discipline do you guys ride? Do you show the circuit around here? I heard the local shows are kind of like 4-H shows. Is that true?

fredsaid2

The Equiery has a 'Coming Events' section in the back. Check there for other local circuits. Merrymount in PG county runs a summer series, Equilibrium in Grambills has summer and winter circuits and there are some in Fredericksburg that's about a 1.5 hour drive. Whitley's usually has VA flyers. You'll find plenty to do within that 2hr drive time.

spellbound

ponyperson, you must ride with Jana. I like her and I think she's a great trainer. I've ridden with Jana a little bit. I do equitation, hunters, and jumpers.

MSA is a very good C rated show. In my opinion though the Sunday schooling shows are not really worth your time. The classes are huge and extremely competitive for a schooling show. I think that defeats the purpose of going to a schooling show. I have coached students there, and left the show grounds after 9 PM, and there were classes still going on.

There are some really good shows in Virginia (about an hour and a half from here). The VHSA has an Associate program where the shows are not considered rated but they are recognized and governed by the VHSA. You can find out more if you go to www.vhsa.com.

Are you looking for another medium pony? I know of one for sale or lease. The pony is not as fancy as Jana's pony, but is a very nice pony and very cute.

spellbound

for the judges: Rated shows, whether MHSA, VHSA, or USEF must hire judges that are either registered or recorded judges with the respective organization. The VHSA Associate shows have some exceptions to this rule. I think they will allow non-carded individuals to judge if they've been a member of the organizaiton for a certain number of years and get a recomendation from a carded judge. Check the rulebooks for these organizations for all the details.
A schooling show or local show can hire pretty much ANYONE. Sometimes you'll find registered or recorded judges at the local level, but you are guaranteed a carded judge if you show rated.

fredsaid2

My daughter rides huntseat, we've done a lot of the nearby schooling series. Sunday MSA is incredibly crowded and it makes for a long day but the ponies generally end earlier. Stick with ponies for your daughters! Spellbound, I think we considered getting out of there at 9pm a good day, doncha remember? :lol:

spellbound

fredsaid2 said:
My daughter rides huntseat, we've done a lot of the nearby schooling series. Sunday MSA is incredibly crowded and it makes for a long day but the ponies generally end earlier. Stick with ponies for your daughters! Spellbound, I think we considered getting out of there at 9pm a good day, doncha remember? :lol:

It has been a while. I do remember it being late every time. Maybe once I left there before nightfall.

ponyperson

Spellbound-Am I allowed to use trainer's names? (Yes, it is who you said) We love her. We have taken from a lot of people in the past and we are thrilled with her level of instruction. Why do I have a red dot by my name and most of you have blue dots? Does that mean anything? I am not sure if we need a large-medium or just a large pony. I guess it depends on how round the pony is. I would be interested to know more about the pony though.

spellbound

Yeah, I don't think using people's names is a "no no" as long as you're not spreading rumors or anything malicious like that.
I'm not sure about the red dot. I see a blue dot next to your name and mine has a red dot.
I do a little bit of teaching myself and the pony belongs to a student of mine. She's outgrown her. The pony is 13.1 with a very round body. I can send you details in email if you want.

ponyperson

I'll ask her. I think our pony was right at 13h. I know our trainer is looking for several horses/ponies that are good enough to show 2'6 -3ft. I think most of us are not ready to buy, but I don't want to speak for everyone in her group. We just would like to lease for now. I told her about your response, and she smiled and said that she new who you were and that she liked you a lot. She also said to tell you that they do have a horse that can jump over 3 foot! I guess you will understand what she means by that. ?

spellbound

I'll have to call her today. I tried to call her last night but she wasn't home yet. I'm not sure what that means but i guess it either meant they got a new horse, or someone was jumping higher than they should have been.