8 yr.old girl, drops black bear...

Agee

"I froze up," she recalled. Regaining her composure, Sierra stood behind a tree, waiting until the bear was about 50 yards away, she said. Then she took careful aim and squeezed the trigger. The bullet struck the bear behind the shoulder. Unfazed by the rifle's light recoil, she said, she ejected the casing, reloaded and fired another round."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9808372/

Is 8 years old to young for a child to be handling and hunting with a high-powered rifle, or any firearm for that matter?

rack'm

Jaded
Airgasm said:
Is 8 years old to young for a child to be handling and hunting with a high-powered rifle, or any firearm for that matter?

Not at all, I was shooting a 30.06 at 6 years old. :shrug:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Airgasm said:

Sounds like she's a better shot than most cops I know, so why not?

Steve

Enjoying life!
Oh my god!! We have to protect the children! Her parents are obviously negligent and she should be placed into protective custody immediately!!

:sarcasm: :rolleyes:

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
[Donald Stiles beamed as his daughter, dressed in hunters' camouflage with a fluorescent orange vest, told how she skipped school to shoot the male bear]

How can you be proud that your teaching your kid its ok to skip school if its for something cool. Responsibilty first, play later. She could of murdered herself one of dem big ol bers on the weekend.

Steve

Enjoying life!
baileydog said:
How can you be proud that your teaching your kid its ok to skip school if its for something cool. Responsibilty first, play later. She could of murdered herself one of dem big ol bers on the weekend.
So you've never contemplated or actually let a child of yours stay home from school to do something family related? If the limit is 40-55 bears for the state, and the season began on a weekday (not sure if it did) then pulling her from school to hunt with her daddy is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. What was school teaching that day anyway? Maybe how to be a perfect politically correct drone?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Steve said:
So you've never contemplated or actually let a child of yours stay home from school to do something family related? If the limit is 40-55 bears for the state, and the season began on a weekday (not sure if it did) then pulling her from school to hunt with her daddy is perfectly acceptable in my opinion. What was school teaching that day anyway? Maybe how to be a perfect politically correct drone?

sounds like she learned a lot more that day than she would have in school. Teaching good marksmanship, calm under stress, and self sufficiency is much better than reading about Johnnies two daddies.

Steve

Enjoying life!
MMDad said:
sounds like she learned a lot more that day than she would have in school. Teaching good marksmanship, calm under stress, and self sufficiency is much better than reading about Johnnies two daddies.
:yeahthat:

mAlice

professional daydreamer
baileydog said:
[Donald Stiles beamed as his daughter, dressed in hunters' camouflage with a fluorescent orange vest, told how she skipped school to shoot the male bear]

I've allowed my daughter to skip school plenty of times for something educational, or just because she needed a mental health day....it's not just for grown ups. I never did understand the whole "perfect attendance" thing. Stoopid.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
baileydog said:
When I was a kid, they might as well have closed the schools on opening day because EVERYONE was out hunting with their dad or grandfather.

SeaRide

vraiblonde said:
When I was a kid, they might as well have closed the schools on opening day because EVERYONE was out hunting with their dad or grandfather.

:yeahthat:

Good 'ole days! dayum!

Jameo

What?!
Airgasm said:
"I froze up," she recalled. Regaining her composure, Sierra stood behind a tree, waiting until the bear was about 50 yards away, she said. Then she took careful aim and squeezed the trigger. The bullet struck the bear behind the shoulder. Unfazed by the rifle's light recoil, she said, she ejected the casing, reloaded and fired another round."

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9808372/

Kick ass! :yay:

Airgasm said:

No way! I remember I was about 8-9 when my dad let me shot his 12 ga :lmao: propped me up against a tree and let me have at it. :lmao: Only shot it once, but I loved every second of it!

snuzzy

MMDad said:

:yeahthat: I'm a teacher (7 year olds) and I wouldn't mind helping her make up the work that may have been missed knowing that she was getting a "life" education and was with an attentive parent. My only disclaimer would be that taking her out of school wouldn't be a weekly habit/occurance.

snuzzy

elaine said:
I've allowed my daughter to skip school plenty of times for something educational, or just because she needed a mental health day....it's not just for grown ups. I never did understand the whole "perfect attendance" thing. Stoopid.

:yeahthat: But don't tell the principal!

Agee

Jameo said:
Kick ass! :yay:

No way! I remember I was about 8-9 when my dad let me shot his 12 ga :lmao: propped me up against a tree and let me have at it. :lmao: Only shot it once, but I loved every second of it!
:lmao:

And you probably got a Red Ryder BB gun, and a fly rod for your first bithday :lol: :razz:

Jameo

What?!
Airgasm said:
:lmao:

And you probably got a Red Ryder BB gun, and a fly rod for your first bithday :lol: :razz:

:killingme No, but I've always wanted a Red Ryder BB gun :sad: and it was a Mikey Mouse fishing pole! :lmao:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
IN PA they actually do close some county schools for the first day of Buck.. LOL Was great not having to skip school the first day of the season..

Sounds like she was well taught and it did say light recoil. The main problem with a young child shooting a high powered rifle is that they always remember the kick and it can cause flinching in the future.

desertrat said:
Sounds like she was well taught and it did say light recoil. The main problem with a young child shooting a high powered rifle is that they always remember the kick and it can cause flinching in the future.

:whistle: Who might we be reffering to?