Any dog-oriented activities in SOMD?

Otherblood

Hiya,

I'm pretty new to the forums here, but finally decided to register and ask a few things here and there. I have a heeler/pitbull mix named Dakota that is currently going through some behavioral issues. He's very cautious around strangers, to the point of being defensive-aggressive. Someone he doesn't know can't approach him quickly or he'll turn tail, or snap. If anyone knows the two breeds well, they'll know that a mix of the two is a severely hard-headed and active, but loyal and intelligent combination. He's going through a regular PetsMArt puppy class for the sake of socialization.

Anyway, my reason for posting is because I wanted to know if there's anything happening in SOMD concerning dog activities happening often. Do any of you people organize casual dog-walks/obedience training days/behavioral socialization type things? At my old community, we used to go walking/train with our pups every week or so. It was fun, and healthy.
I feel the petsmart class is helping somewhat, but most of the people I encounter there are somewhat annoying.. they try to pet Dakota without my permission and try to huddle around him at times, and it's really not helping.

I feel if there were a group of people that know ABOUT dogs and RESPECT the wishes of the owner, I could get him to the point where he'd enjoy being around people.

Either way... Any activities you guys go to?