Gallblader Removal

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
I may have to have this done. Went to have a right upper quadrent ultrasound on Saturday and they were unable to obtain good images of my bile duct and my gallbladder was not full even though I had not eaten any fat in the previous 24 hours and had fasted for 12. The radiologist suggested that I get a biliary scan as initial findings lean towards my gallbladder not functioning. If that is indeed the case it'll be removed.

I'm not concerned about the surgery itself but the after effects. It's my understanding that the gallblader is a storage tank for bile. When fat is consumed the gallblader releases the bile to aid in the digestion of fat. My fear is that if I'm not digesting fat for the most part right now that could be a factor in my weight. The rest of my family minus my sister, who has a different mom, is on the heavy side. I myself was much heavier up until I was 18.

Has anyone had thier gallblader out and is weight gain a commom occurance afterwards?

morganj614

Q. ... My 42 y/o girlfriend weighs a bit over #350. How is this obviously going to affect her surgery and convalesence?

WOW, that makes 4 Pixies..:lmao:

I've l read thru several websites and I'm not seeing any mention of post-removal weight gain issues. Besides, Pixie, you need a little junk in your trunk to balance out your rack...:huggy:

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
pixiegirl said:
I may have to have this done. Went to have a right upper quadrent ultrasound on Saturday and they were unable to obtain good images of my bile duct and my gallbladder was not full even though I had not eaten any fat in the previous 24 hours and had fasted for 12. The radiologist suggested that I get a biliary scan as initial findings lean towards my gallbladder not functioning. If that is indeed the case it'll be removed.

I'm not concerned about the surgery itself but the after effects. It's my understanding that the gallblader is a storage tank for bile. When fat is consumed the gallblader releases the bile to aid in the digestion of fat. My fear is that if I'm not digesting fat for the most part right now that could be a factor in my weight. The rest of my family minus my sister, who has a different mom, is on the heavy side. I myself was much heavier up until I was 18.

Has anyone had thier gallblader out and is weight gain a commom occurance afterwards?

Well i had mine taken out a couple of years ago, And i have had no weight gain from it. The problem is that the fatty foods don't stay in you, you lose that slow down process. You shouldn't have much a problem..... :)

mv_princess said:
Well i had mine taken out a couple of years ago, And i have had no weight gain from it. The problem is that the fatty foods don't stay in you, you lose that slow down process. You shouldn't have much a problem..... :)
Translation: When you get the Wendy's #5 for lunch, stay near a bathroom...:yay:

fttrsbeerwench

I had mine out in January..

I'm not happy about it.. My digestive is a wreck now...:tmi:
So basically that means no tequila and cheesesteaks for me, :bawl:

I think it made it a bit harder for me to lose weight, but since you're already skinny.I dont think it shall be a problem for you.

Good Luck! I hope you get the small scar like I did:yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
kwillia said:
It's all good, Pixie... You can still wear your thong over your depends...:huggy:
That is so wrong:killingme

Good luck Pix:huggy: Everyone I know who has had the surgery hasn't had any "after effects" problems.

morganj614

CMC122 said:
That is so wrong:killingme

Good luck Pix:huggy: Everyone I know who has had the surgery hasn't had any "after effects" problems.

And with the laser surgery your recovery will be quick since you are so young and healthy :yay:

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
My wife had it done not long ago. We did a lot of research before hand. Most people actually lose weight right after and then return to normal. Your body just adjusts to processing as it did before except without the gallbladder.

Here are the fun things you don't want to hear but you should.. put your blinders on if you don't want more information then you needed:

1) After it, you will at least be running to the bathroom at high speed anytime you eat anything for a few months after. A lot of people still get set off by certain foods for years, if not forever, after.

2) There may be foods you will no longer tolerate (at least for a few months after). My father couldn't eat tomatoes for about a year after his for some reason. My wife says very little bothers her already. Again, though, the restroom factor is high

3) Your diet may change completely because right after surgery you will naturally avoid what causes greater indigestion/restroom problems. So, you may end up permanently behavior mod'ing yourself to eat less high fat and high proteins without meaning to (this can be a plus for some people).

Also, it should not change who you are now (unless you were overweight to start). It tendency is to make people skinnier (as said above), and I have not heard a case of fatter. Its function is relatively minor in the scheme of things. The only cosmetic difference you should face is 4 little scars (most, if not all, of which will be seen when you wear a two piece).

And.. the big and... if you have a gallbladder problem it can just as dangerous as appendicitis. The gallbladder, if it gets blocked, can become badly infected and then we risk having no more pixie. We would be sad. We would mourn. We would not be able to make asking for advice jokes. :ohwell:

R

rallwine2000

I am going through the same thing. Just had a series of x-rays with an injection to mimic the gall bladder in an attack. It worked, now I am waiting for the Dr. to call with results. Let me know how you are doing.

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
Fortunately for me I have no symptoms of gallbladder disease. I went to a new doctor to get some Zyban and she wanted to do a quick once over on me. When she was pressing around on my belly the right upper quadrent was painful. I've never had any pain otherwise but to put pressure on it was painful.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
pixiegirl said:
Fortunately for me I have no symptoms of gallbladder disease. I went to a new doctor to get some Zyban and she wanted to do a quick once over on me. When she was pressing around on my belly the right upper quadrent was painful. I've never had any pain otherwise but to put pressure on it was painful.

You probably just needed to go potty. :huggy: