Any Detailing Enthusiats here?

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
I recently got bitten by the detailing bug. Was looking to find some like minded folks in the area to kick ideas around a little. Also maybe keep ourselves abreast of who has good deals/sales on what stuff. And who knows, maybe get together to apply some "shine"

I live in the Lexington Park area. I use Meguiar's stuff for the most part. I think I have about everything they make. Just received their new catalog and looked through it and could not find anything I did not have except for a Garden Hose nozle so it looks like I am all set up. Recently bought 2 Dual Action Poishers and also a new Makita Rotary. I have an old Geo sitting inthe Driveway I hope to gain some Rotary Practice on soon. Have everything I need. Just need to dedicate some time to it.

I bought one of these new Honda Ridgeline Truck-A-Ma-Bobs about 3 months ago and have been working on the perfectshne ever since. Learned alot in the process but realize kicking ideas around with other folks in the area might be a good thing.

MMDad

Lem Putt
At first I thought "I would hate that job!"

That's why you'll make a ton of money off of people like me. Good luck!

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
Hehe,
Actually I don't charge. I usually invite friends over or even total strangers who have approached me. They ask what I do and how I do it. I give them my phone number tl them I'll supply all we will need but they supply the food. I get them to help and show them how to do things. They usually are awestruck. I have learned quite a bit. It takes us about 3 days, 7 hours or so on the first day and 3-4 each day on days 2 & 3. The only I do it this way is because some of the LSPs (Last Step Products = Waxes and/or sealants) need some cure time before adding an additional layer on top of it.

I enjoy it. made a hobby out of it. I love to get out in the nice weather when all the rest of the work is caught up and spend the day cleaning and shining one of my most expensive toys. Kinda Theraputic. Guess I spelled that right.

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
janey83 said:
:howdy: I keep my car meticulously clean, too!

I have been neglecting my interior. My main focus has been getting the exterior prepped up for the winter months. Plus, I have all these fancy waxes I have been trying out. I like experimenting and trying different glazes, polishes, waxes and sealnts to see what kind of effect I can get out of them.

Too bad the ladies are not attracted to the smell of car wax. I'd be one popular fellow.

I don't know where you folks are located. I am usually around the Lexington Park area. I drive a new White Honda Ridgeline Pickup with Chrome Wheels.

I am unfamiliar with posting links here but I'll try. Here is a link to the Meguiar's Online Forum where I post regularly and this is my Gallery.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4233

H

HollowSoul

A trick i learned while trying to get the perfect shine out of a jet black paintjob
wash and dry of course
next....using a clean microfiber go over the entire vehicle with....WINDEX
next....i use maguiers NXT wax apply lightly and let dry
next....using a clean microfiber gently wipe off wax (no circle motion) and dont be afraid if you leave some behind..
next....i use a small 7" orbital buffer but instead of using the buffing pads that come with....
i will lay a clean mirofiber on the fresh wax....place the buffer on the microfiber....and use that as the buffing pad
do not press on the buffer, allow it to just sit on the microfiber and let it's natural action buff out the remaining wax.....the result....a shine that i could have never achieved before..WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SWIRL MARKS!!!!

also my application method..

apply wax to entire hood---buff half.....apply wax to front fender---buff other half of hood....apply wax to door---buff fender.....abbly wax to rear quarter----buff door....ect

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
HollowSoul said:
A trick i learned while trying to get the perfect shine out of a jet black paintjob
wash and dry of course
next....using a clean microfiber gently wipe off wax (no circle motion) and dont be afraid if you leave some behind..
next....i use a small 7" orbital buffer but instead of using the buffing pads that come with....
i will lay a clean mirofiber on the fresh wax....place the buffer on the microfiber....and use that as the buffing pad
do not press on the buffer, allow it to just sit on the microfiber and let it's natural action buff out the remaining wax.....the result....a shine that i could have never achieved before..WITH ABSOLUTELY NO SWIRL MARKS!!!!

apply wax to entire hood---buff half.....apply wax to front fender---buff other half of hood....apply wax to door---buff fender.....abbly wax to rear quarter----buff door....ect
Orrrrrrrrr pay someone else to do all that crap! :yay:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
RoseRed said:
Would you steal all my CD's and kid toys all over the back seat?

Not me. Hope you are not refering to a bad experience there. I guess it hapens though. I do this mainly as I enjoy it. Invite folks over and clean their car. I usually end up polishing all the scratches out while they do things like clean glass, tires. detail plastic etc.

As I do it for enjoyment, I am pretty slow. So folks don;t just drop their car of to me. Heck, as slow as I am I'd have it 2-3 days. They get a kick out of seeing what I do and how I do it. I teach them what little I think I know and usually stick a polisher in their hands pretty quickly. This isn;t a rotary, just a polisher. They usually take to it pretty fast.

H

HollowSoul

Jeff said:
I have been neglecting my interior. My main focus has been getting the exterior prepped up for the winter months. Plus, I have all these fancy waxes I have been trying out. I like experimenting and trying different glazes, polishes, waxes and sealnts to see what kind of effect I can get out of them.

Too bad the ladies are not attracted to the smell of car wax. I'd be one popular fellow.

I don't know where you folks are located. I am usually around the Lexington Park area. I drive a new White Honda Ridgeline Pickup with Chrome Wheels.

I am unfamiliar with posting links here but I'll try. Here is a link to the Meguiar's Online Forum where I post regularly and this is my Gallery.

http://www.meguiarsonline.com/gallery/showgallery.php?cat=500&ppuser=4233

for interior forget armor all.....i use TIRE WET
it last's longer and looks alot better

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
HollowSoul said:
wash and dry of course

I used 2 coats of NXT last week. I appl;y to the entire truck then grab a cup of coffee and take aout a 10 minute break then put a Bonnet over a 7006 cutting pad and use the DA to reove the wax. Works well for me but everybody has their own technic.

H

HollowSoul

Jeff said:
I used 2 coats of NXT last week. I appl;y to the entire truck then grab a cup of coffee and take aout a 10 minute break then put a Bonnet over a 7006 cutting pad and use the DA to reove the wax. Works well for me but everybody has their own technic.
with black, you gotta get it off quick or it just gunks up

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
HollowSoul said:
for interior forget armor all.....i use TIRE WET
it last's longer and looks alot better
I had been using NXT Cockpit Shine (Formerly NXT TECH PROTECT). I am getting ready to try Hyper-Dressing pretty soon.

H

HollowSoul

Jeff said:
I had been using NXT Cockpit Shine (Formerly NXT TECH PROTECT). I am getting ready to try Hyper-Dressing pretty soon.
tried it......didn't like it.......TIRE WET :yay:

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
HollowSoul said:
with black, you gotta get it off quick or it just gunks up

I think alot of that would depend what pads you use. I did a Black Silverado a couple of weeks ago. had no problem with it gunking up. I used the Porter Cable Dual Action Polisher with Meguiar's 9006 pads to apply. Then put the 7006 cutting pad on the polisher with a Gold Class MFBonnet over that. Worked like a champ. Pretty much use the same technic for most waxes/sealants.

I love the NXT but seem to find #21 seems to go better with machine application. Just my opinion though

Jeff

Stop Staring!!!!!
HollowSoul said:
tried it......didn't like it.......TIRE WET :yay:

Tire wet is solvent based. Thats OK for some but I like waterbased stuff on the interior. Minimizes the glass hazing as well.