Appy, say it aint so!

K

Kali

Have you ever heard of this?

I got a letter in the mail today from Dorus Day Animal League. It said, and i quote:
"Elderly family pets, retired working horses, foals and racehorses are all being bought for top dollar, because top dollar is being offered by the meat market from Europe and Asia, where horse meat is eaten."
:twitch:

K

Kali

dustin said:
dog food too
:barf: I must be sheltered. It says also in this letter that
"Already there is a bill in the House of Representatives (H.R. 503)-the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act and we expect the Senate version to be introduced soon.

This legislation will end the slaughter of horses for human consumption, no matter whether destined for dinner tables in Europe or Asia."
so its still ok to feed them to dogs? What difference does it make whether its dogs or people eating them, its still weird.

dustin

UAIOE
appyday said:
Actually I would never eat one of MY horses..but what is the difference between a cow and a horse for human consumption??
:yeahthat:
They were eaten during the Civil War and World War 1.

MMDad

Lem Putt
appyday said:
Actually I would never eat one of MY horses..but what is the difference between a cow and a horse for human consumption??
:yeahthat: What's the difference? Culture vs. hunger. Muslims and Jews don't do pork. Hindus don't do beef. Americans don't eat horses. And hungry people eat bugs or anything else they can get. I know a Vietnamese guy that told me about how some ate dogs before he left in '74. Never a pet, but as a piece of meat, why not? We excuse the party from Alive or the Donner party because we think we understand.

W

WildHorses

There is a difference when you have taken an animal, domesticated it to the extent it cannot take care of itself and, when it is no longer of any use to you, send it to slaughter. It is a terrible way to end the life of an animal that has been a companion, a servant and, many times, a friend. And for what, a few dollars?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
MMDad said:
I know a Vietnamese guy that told me about how some ate dogs before he left in '74.
:lmao: We were at Potomac Mills this weekend, and stopped at the Food Court. There was a girl working at Frank n Stein, who was Asian. She was wearing a shirt that said "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty". :killingme

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Kali said:
:barf: I must be sheltered. It says also in this letter that so its still ok to feed them to dogs? What difference does it make whether its dogs or people eating them, its still weird.
Whys it OK to kill a cow or a pig, or a lamb to eat for Americans, but taboo to kill a horse for someone else to eat?? Personally I've never eaten horse, but they did sell it in the commisary in Germany.. and I didn't see a problem with it.. food is food.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
dustin said:
dog food too
Chows were bred specifically to be eaten. The darker the meat, the sweeter, the straighter the stifle, the more meat etc. etc. I believe some monastaries still raise Chows for food. They were called chow-chow because they were transported alive in the food hold to preserve them, and were lumped in with the "chow" (all the food products in the hold) hence the name. I agree with you Appy, well stated.

Now we also have all these PMU foals from huge draft mothers (drafts because they put out more urine) to contend with as well. Oh Please...."rescue" this PMU foal who is born BY CHOICE with no regard for his temperament from conception and imprinting to weaning somewhere in Canada and shipped here to us dumb Americans.... My sister just bought a PMU foal who is 10 months old and the snottiest, nastiest, most unsocialized draft/paint baby you've ever met because her former (non-horseperson) owner bought her from a PMU sale and did nothing with her. :burning:

dustin

UAIOE
Nickel said:
:lmao: We were at Potomac Mills this weekend, and stopped at the Food Court. There was a girl working at Frank n Stein, who was Asian. She was wearing a shirt that said "Here Kitty, Kitty, Kitty". :killingme
oh....I get it now :roflmao:

As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Appyday's statements. I abhor the idea of horses going to slaughter - but I don't see any other choice in some situations. The elderly family pets, retired work horses, racehorses, foals - while to us it's horrible that "die for a few bucks," what are the other options? There aren't enough homes for them all - much less, enough GOOD homes that will take care of them all until they die peaceful deaths. Look at Cincy - of course, he had some good last few months - after two decades of neglect. I can't say that Cincy would have been better off going to slaughter years ago, because his life ended happily and with love - but what about all the other "Cincys" out there that will never be rescued?
I wish I could say that we, the American people, would take care of each and every horse that we wantonly create if we were to stop slaughter entirely. But we won't. And, seriously, what is the difference between slaughtering horses for food and putting down MILLIONS of dogs and cats at shelters across the country? Just because we're eating the horses? At least their deaths are good for something in some way. And, while their deaths aren't necessarily calm and serene, as we imagine they should be, keep in mind that some shelters still use gas chambers to euthanize unwanted pets - not a pretty death. And a very MEANINGLESS one at that.
The real problem is not the slaughter industry. It is people who have horses, dogs, cats, etc, that they exploit during their lives, such that their death is only a reflection of their existence.

dustin

UAIOE
foxxynhounds said:
As much as I hate to say it, I agree with Appyday's statements. I abhor the idea of horses going to slaughter - but I don't see any other choice in some situations. The elderly family pets, retired work horses, racehorses, foals - while to us it's horrible that "die for a few bucks," what are the other options? There aren't enough homes for them all - much less, enough GOOD homes that will take care of them all until they die peaceful deaths. Look at Cincy - of course, he had some good last few months - after two decades of neglect. I can't say that Cincy would have been better off going to slaughter years ago, because his life ended happily and with love - but what about all the other "Cincys" out there that will never be rescued?
I wish I could say that we, the American people, would take care of each and every horse that we wantonly create if we were to stop slaughter entirely. But we won't. And, seriously, what is the difference between slaughtering horses for food and putting down MILLIONS of dogs and cats at shelters across the country? Just because we're eating the horses? At least their deaths are good for something in some way. And, while their deaths aren't necessarily calm and serene, as we imagine they should be, keep in mind that some shelters still use gas chambers to euthanize unwanted pets - not a pretty death. And a very MEANINGLESS one at that.
The real problem is not the slaughter industry. It is people who have horses, dogs, cats, etc, that they exploit during their lives, such that their death is only a reflection of their existence.
now that i think about it. all those stray dogs and cats would be some good eatin for thrid world countries. I wonder how exporting doggy and kitty kat cuts would do?

HorseLady

Painted Spirit
appyday said:
In France and other euro countries they have herds of horses being raised intentionally for food purposes as we do here with cows, hogs, etc. They are an acceptable food source. I agree with your views Appy - if a horse has been a part of our family and earned his keep we'll keep them here until they die. We had to put down a mare 2 yrs ago due to age and it cost us $400.
But we've come accross 2 or 3 horses that were healthy but extremely dangerous. We are very experienced with horses but if you have one that has turned the corner mentally due to bad handling, poor genes, whatever, there is only one place I feel comfortable sending that animal to. Some horses can never be trusted and are unstable - you may never know what will set it off or who will be the next target of their hooves or teeth.
Older horses who can be kept comfortable on senior feed, unsound horses that can find homes who will accept them as pasture ornaments, are difficult enough to find homes for. But a bad tempered and dangerous horse is taking space away from the limited available resources. Not to mention the liablility involved. It is a very emotional issue for most people and it always will be controversial.

W

WildHorses

appyday said:
yes...but there are dangerous horses out there that I would send to slaughter in a minute...there needs to be an outlet for "trash" but a humane outlet..Let me ask you Wildhorse...have you ever put a horse down and buried it on a farm (Now illegal) have you ever put a horse down and had to send it away...very expensive and had to find..tell me about your experiences please and what you would do after you had a "dead" horse...you know the slaughter house does not take dead ones right..if you had a dangerous horse you would not trust with kids or people what would you do with it...send it to someone so it could kill their kids..just like dogs..I am an animal lover but some need to :dead:
Yes, I've had to have an animal put down and sent away. It was a very trying time. Now I know a wonderful vet who will cremate and return the ashes to me.

W

WildHorses

appyday said:
What did it cost to have a 1000-1200 lb horse put down..hauled off...creamated and ashes returned to you? How long ago was that??

I did not have the horse I referred to cremated, he had to be taken away and it took approximately $500 in 1994. Subsequently I have met a vet who will cremate when the time comes and I haven't the foggiest idea where I would put the ashes.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
WildHorses said:
I did not have the horse I referred to cremated, he had to be taken away and it took approximately $500 in 1994. Subsequently I have met a vet who will cremate when the time comes and I haven't the foggiest idea where I would put the ashes.
Have to be someplace BIG :lol: My dog's box is pretty heavy and he was only 100 lbs or so. multiply that by 10! :shocking:

W

WildHorses

Hope I don't have to know for a while but still good to know it can be done. Could always use them as blocks for jumps (just kidding). :lmao: Still have to say even though I may not always agree with the content of the conversations, I love you watch you guys communicate. You are funny.