Anyone else notice that most cars

Pete

Repete
have the gas tank filler neck on the drivers side? You would think for peak efficiency automakers would get all together and decide to split it evenly, 50% on the drivers side, 50% on the passenger side. That way when yo go to WAWA there is not a line at every pump for drivers side fillers, and empty pumps for passenger side fillers.

dustin

UAIOE
Pete said:
have the gas tank filler neck on the drivers side? You would think for peak efficiency automakers would get all together and decide to split it evenly, 50% on the drivers side, 50% on the passenger side. That way when yo go to WAWA there is not a line at every pump for drivers side fillers, and empty pumps for passenger side fillers.
I just drive in reverse up to the pump :yay:

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Its a scam....................They make you wait so your passengers will go inside and buy junk food! :popcorn:
Cause you know most drivers don't bother to drive around to face the other way, they'll just wait instead.
Me....I go to BJ's.....never a line there, its not any cheeper, but no crowd.

B

bennydafig

cattitude said:
Mine is in the back. :biggrin:

You own a '73 piece of chit sky blue cadillac??

And both of ours are on the passenger side.

Pete

Repete
iceeyes9 said:
Its a scam....................They make you wait so your passengers will go inside and buy junk food! :popcorn:
Cause you know most drivers don't bother to drive around to face the other way, they'll just wait instead.
Me....I go to BJ's.....never a line there, its not any cheeper, but no crowd.
Same here but there is always a line for drivers side fillers. I would just back in but I don't want the gas pump police to give me a ticket. :bawl:

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Pete said:
Same here but there is always a line for drivers side fillers. I would just back in but I don't want the gas pump police to give me a ticket. :bawl:

Thats right this is St. Mary's County.....You can have 30 DWI's and Murder up to 10 people, but DON'T ever get caught backing into a gaspump, they'll give you life for that!!!! :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:
They have a schedule posted at Sheetz
OK, I just went to the window and of the 21 cars within view 18 were drivers side fillers and only 3 were passenger side.

What say you......

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
How do car designers decide which side to put the gas tank on?

(100%, 2 ratings) submitted by ben91069 (A, 95%, 28 ratings), Nov 23, 04

This is a difficult question in that by engineering standards there is no limitations on where to put it other than space, form, and expense. By practical standards, this is a little more evident considering who might be buying the car. If you consider a driver side gas cap, which is what I think you are asking (not so much about tank placement), then it is easier for a driver to manuever next to a pump as most drivers in America (right side of the road drivers) are better at judging clearances on the left side of the car - this is easier for the driver to see and most drivers use the left side of the vehicle to maintain lanes and clearances. The problem with this, however is that it is inconvenient in that you are sometimes hindered by opening the car door inbetween you and the pump when you get out to fill the tank. The driver side gas cap is also easier to see in the rear view mirror when aligning the gas cap door close to the pump mozzle you will use.

The passenger side gas cap has all the disadvantages of manuevering close to a pump, but you never have to worry about not being able to get out of your door because you are too close - unless of course your passenger wants to go in and buy a beef jerky.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Why do some manufacturers build their cars with the gas-tank filler tube on the driver's side, and some put it on the passenger side? My theory was that my Subaru had the gas- tank filler on the right side because that's the driver's side in Japan. When they moved the steering wheel to the left side for American sales, they didn't bother moving the gas filler. However, my research (done in a megamall parking lot) does not support this hypothesis, and the placement seems to be random. Any idea what the rationale behind the placement is? -- William

Tom: As far as we know, there is none. We've heard one argument that it's safer to have the filler cap on the passenger side. Why? Because if you run out of gas by the side of the road, you won't have to pour your little gallon of gas into the car on the driver's side as semis and milk trucks go whizzing by. That sounds kind of bogus to me, but that's an argument that's been made.

Ray: The case for having the filler tube on the driver's side makes more sense to me. First of all, when you drive up to a gas station "island," you pull up on the right side, just like you do everywhere else in the United States of America. Plus, if you're pumping the gas yourself, it's more convenient to pump the gas from the side you're already on, isn't it?

Tom: But as far as we know, there's no universal standard, nor is there any overwhelming reason to go one way or the other. The exhaust system has to go down one side of the car, and the gasoline filler tube generally goes on the other.

Ray: If you think you have a compelling argument for one side or the other, write to us care of this newspaper or through our Web site (the Car Talk section of cars.com) and we'll print your thoughts.

Tom: And remember, since every major automobile manufacturer reads our column religiously (as do their legal staffs), your ideas will be going right to the top!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Dear Yahoo!:
Why is the gas tank on the right in some cars and the left on others?
Oh
Atlanta, Georgia

Dear Oh:
Apparently, this question has plagued car owners for some time. We found a number of theories in various automotive forums. Here are a few:
Car makers place the fuel door on arbitrary sides so everyone doesn't try to pull up to the same side of the pump at gas stations.
On German vehicles, the gas door is always on the right so people don't have to stand in a traffic lane when fueling on a roadway.
The gas filler will almost always be on the opposite side of the vehicle from the exhaust pipe.
This last theory appears to be correct. Indeed, none other than Car Talk's Click and Clack, in the employ of NPR, confirm this last hypothesis.
According to the boys, there is no universal standard for placement of the gas filler, but "the exhaust system has to go down one side of the car, and the gasoline filler tube generally goes on the other." So it's the vehicle's engineering design that determines the location of the gas tank. And who knows -- perhaps in the future gas tanks will only be available as an option.

Just kidding about that last part.