What do you want in a boarding facility?

fredsaid2

Due to the recent topics I wondered what boarders in Southern Maryland look for in a facility. What's your price range, do you want an indoor, a ring of any type, kind of footing, how much turnout, full/partial/self care, onsite trainer, opportunity to show? Anything else you would like to see? Even if you have your own place what would you want if you did board?

fredsaid2

I'll give my wish list. Grain 2x a day fed on a consistent timetable. Plenty of decent quality hay when stalled and if pastures are sparse. Water, water everywhere! A dry bucket or trough shouldn't exist. 12x12 stalls cleaned daily and bedded well. Running water and electric in the barn. A lockable tack room. Small turnout groups with maximum day or evening turnout. A 100x200 lighted outdoor ring w/ a good base for drainage and firm watered sand footing that's well maintained. A near similar size indoor would be great but not completely necessary. Full care 365/year, open to outside insured instructors, trailer parking, a friendly atmosphere open to boarder input. There's always more but that's what I can come up with for now.

fredsaid2

When you find that $10 per horse place I'll have a 10th for you :lol:

We'd hope the water supply wasn't dry, is that an excuse used locally in the past?

I don't love haynets, they're a pita to fill and a potential hazard to boot. Only use them to trailer. Should I ever get a super-duper new trailer with hay bags that will be a moot point.

I love tack lockers and oversized stalls too.

R

remaxrealtor

appyday said:
We assumed the water supply would not be dry :lmao:

If I was boarding my show horse I would not want it out with others..I would insist on individual turn out. For boarders individual locked small storage areas are nice..not tack room everyone can access..

My stalls are 12 X 14 (or 16) I would not want anything smaller for a large horse if locked up a majority of the time..to me a large horse in a 12 X 12 all day is too small...

Oh I was at a boarding facility the other day and saw hanging hay NETS in the stall...I wanted to take a knife and cut them all down...You would be proud of me...I was good..Boy did I want to open my mouth though.. :lalala:
Here comes the idiot question...why are the nets bad?

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
appyday said:
When you find him standing there one day...foot hung and twisted in it.(hope he has not hung and twisted it so long he has cut off circulation to his foot)..ask me that question again...they need to be high high so when they empty and fall down they do not paw and get their feet hung up...ever see how a horse paws at hay??....and..I had a friends horse eat the bag and have to have colic surgery to remove it...buy a steel $20 corner hay rack and hang it up..takes 4 screws..
Originally Posted by remaxrealtor
Here comes the idiot question...why are the nets bad?

I have hay nets in all my stalls at the moment...they aren't bad...

I plan on replaceing them eventually with the steel corner racks but until then, the nets are fine.. just tie them up high enough so that when they are empty they don't sag far enough to get caught up..
Tie them up,,, they are fine..

W

WildHorses

What I would like to see in a boarding facility:
1. Horse savvy managers/owners
2. Barn rules prominently posted
3. Indoor arena
4. Private paddocks/turnouts
5. Quality grain fed twice a day
6. Quality hay (alfalfa/grass mix or timothy) fed at least twice a day regardless of pasture
7. Managers/owners on premises 24/7
8. Minimum 12x12 stalls
9. Multiple water receptables available for turn out
10. Clean water buckets filled as needed
11. Stalls cleaned daily
12. New bedding weekly
13. Stripping monthly
14. Blanketing as needed
15. Happy horses in and out of stalls
16. Horses w/body condition scores between 4-6
:cheers:

Mary Roach

Not too shabby!
I can't ride horses because of my spina bifida gene. It's dormant, but they still say absolutely no straddling of any kind! :ohwell:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
Um, it appears to me that someone is hijacking this thread.....I'm not mentioning ANY names.

W

WildHorses

Pensacola said:
I totally agree, and certified instructors. (hahaha) I crack myself up!
Okay, okay, I stayed away as long as I could, but I can't resist and my sincere apologies to Appyday. Yes, certified instructors! :smack:

fredsaid2

Certified....or certifiable?? :biggrin:

Might know some in the latter category!

Oh! and someone to crack the whip when barn rules are ignored, says one who cleaned several piles from the ring tonight.

spellbound

fredsaid2 said:
Certified....or certifiable?? :biggrin:

Might know some in the latter category!

Oh! and someone to crack the whip when barn rules are ignored, says one who cleaned several piles from the ring tonight.

UH OH!

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
The most important rule is open communication and using all neg. or pos. comments as a potential asset and improvement to your farm. We can all learn from others. I am a farm owner and board horses and it is SOOO important to me that my clients are happy and feel open to discussing any issues that they forsee. Just because a barn owner or manager has been "working with horses for years" doesnt mean that their initial idea for managing your horse and the living enviroment is always the best. You want someone that is open to weighing the pros and cons for the subject at hand and discussing it...rather than having a firm hand. What works for the herd may not always work for all. (people and horses)

Last edited: