Pen explodes in the laundry!

snuzzy

After telling my son, over and over again, to check his pockets before sorting his laundry, he leaves a pen in his pocket and it exploded in the dryer :spank: ! My husband is furious, my son is contrite, I feel like I'm in a war zone! Any suggestions on how to get it out of the dryer, and then the clothes?! We tried Chlorox scrubbing towels and Spray Nine. My husband (the mechanic) wants to use brake cleaner, but would have to take the dryer outside because of the toxic fumes! :lalala: TIA for any ideas you may have!

snuzzy

Thank you, I'll try it. I'm not too concerned about the clothes, that was just an afterthought, I think an "appropriate consequence" for my son will be to replace the clothes that were ruined, so I don't want to try too hard to save them!

MMDad

Lem Putt
snuzzy said:
Thank you, I'll try it. I'm not too concerned about the clothes, that was just an afterthought, I think an "appropriate consequence" for my son will be to replace the clothes that were ruined, so I don't want to try too hard to save them!

After you remove whatever you can, run the dryer with old sheets or towels to absorb anything remaining.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Oh darn. I thought this thread was going to be about something else. :ohwell:

I would try Oxyclean (Janey is weeping even as we speak). Soak the clothes in a solution of it, then make a paste to clean the inside of the dryer.

janey83

Twenty Something
Maybe the manufacturer of the dryer (ie Maytag) can answer your question? Or have tips on cleaning; this prolly isn't the first time that a pen has exploded in the machine.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
You know what also sucks? Finding out too late that you left a tube of chapstick in your pocket. It leaves random nasty grease spots on all your clothes. :ohwell:

janey83

Twenty Something
:bawl: or finding out that someone left a kleenex in their pocket and getting lint over all of the sweaters.

V

Vixen

janey83 said:
:bawl: or finding out that someone left a kleenex in their pocket and getting lint over all of the sweaters.

Shesh, a Kleenex, that is nothing, I have washed a few disposable diapers, accidentally of course. :dork:

janey83

Twenty Something
vraiblonde said:
Four daughters - happens all the time. Oxyclean.

shout stain remover, oxyclean, clorox bleach (the one with pink flowers), tide with downey, and downey fabric softener...oh and snuggle dryer sheets...

:diva:

Last edited:

snuzzy

I'll try Oxyclean, Mr. Clean's Magic Eraser didn't touch it. I think it is "baked on" and may never come clean, good news is, it probably won't come off on any more clothes. It looks tie-dyed in there! :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
janey83 said:
and downey fabric softener...oh and snuggle dryer sheets...
Why do you use fabric softener and dryer sheets? The only reason I'd use dryer sheets is to keep the clothes from getting static-y, and the fabric softener seems to do the trick by itself. Seems a little redundant to me. :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Am I the only person who checks the pockets of any item of clothing that has pockets before I put it in the washer? :confused:

I usually check them while I'm sorting, especially blue jeans.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Nickel said:
Why do you use fabric softener and dryer sheets? The only reason I'd use dryer sheets is to keep the clothes from getting static-y, and the fabric softener seems to do the trick by itself. Seems a little redundant to me. :shrug:
I use both because I like liquid Downy and C_Jo likes Bounce sheets. :lol:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
sleuth said:
Am I the only person who checks the pockets of any item of clothing that has pockets before I put it in the washer? :confused:

I usually check them while I'm sorting, especially blue jeans.
I check, but sometimes stuff jumps in there when I'm not looking. :shrug: Sometimes it's gum. :dead:

mainman

Set Trippin
sleuth said:
Am I the only person who checks the pockets of any item of clothing that has pockets before I put it in the washer, because I am terrified a rogue penny might find its way to the drain? :confused:
:whistle:

nomoney

janey83 said:
:bawl: My Hubby left a lighter in his pants pocket. Now I need to know how to clean out charred pieces of dryer out of my ceiling ...any ideas? Would oxy clean work? :confused:

Elle

Happy Camper!
Hairspray works great to get ink out of clothes. If the pen exploded though, there may be a lot of larger marks, not sure how it would work for a big job.