HSA's

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Is anyone currently enrolled in one? Can you offer input about them? I've just heard a pretty good pitch and I'm thinking it's the way to go for health insurance/savings. I have some information if anyone is interested, but I'd love to hear from individuals who are actually using it. :cheers:

I use it for Daycare and medical expenses. Daycare is easy since you have only one place to go to get an itemized receipt. I find that medical can be a pain in the rear if you don't have a big expense (such as braces) because it's tedious to collect and file all the little individual receipts from prescriptions, co-pays, etc.

It does help reduce takes considerably enough to be noticable in your take home pay.

One more thing... I use it as a "forced savings" and only file for reimbursement once or twice in the year. Last year I filed once and received the $6000 all at once at the end of the year. This year I filed half way thru the year and got $2500 all at once cause I wanted new furniture for my addition. I will file for the rest at the end of December and use that lump sum to buy something nice for Otter.

aps45819 said:
Do you mean Flexable Spending Account?
I am assuming that is what she means... I have heard different variations of the title because each company seems to call it something different...:shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Either way, the money spent is an adjustment to your taxable income. Can't see the advantage. If you put to much in, it's lost.

aps45819 said:
Either way, the money spent is an adjustment to your taxable income. Can't see the advantage. If you put to much in, it's lost.
I put in $6,000 and it reduces my taxable income noticably so... why don't you see an advantage...:confused:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
kwillia said:
I put in $6,000 and it reduces my taxable income noticably so... what don't you see an advantage...:confused:
If you spend $6k on daycare, isn't that the same adjustment to your income?

aps45819 said:
If you spend $6k on daycare, isn't that the same adjustment to your income?
You can only do a max of $5,000 for daycare withholding. If I remember correctly, if you do the adjustment at the end of year on your tax form, you can only do a max of $3,000. Is that what you are talking about?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
The spending accounts are pre-tax, so the amount of income you actually use to determine your tax rate is reduced rather than taking a deduction at the end of the year with a higher income, or using a credit against your income.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
kwillia said:
You can only do a max of $5,000 for daycare withholding. If I remember correctly, if you do the adjustment at the end of year on your tax form, you can only do a max of $3,000. Is that what you are talking about?
It would make sense if you're only allowed to use a portion of the expense as an adjustment to your income.
I did it a couple of years for my daughters braces. Wasn't going to get up to the required percentage to get the med cost deduction.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
kwillia said:
I use it for Daycare and medical expenses. Daycare is easy since you have only one place to go to get an itemized receipt. I find that medical can be a pain in the rear if you don't have a big expense (such as braces) because it's tedious to collect and file all the little individual receipts from prescriptions, co-pays, etc.

It does help reduce takes considerably enough to be noticable in your take home pay.
You're talking cafeteria plans which are different from HSA's (Health Savings Accounts). An HSA is specifically for healthcare costs only - not dental, vision, etc. The money is yours to keep if it is not used.

Pete

Repete
Talk about a drag. We are having open enrollment time now too. I feel sick to my stomache clicking the block for "Dependent child life insurance"

CMC122

Go Braves!
aps45819 said:
It would make sense if you're only allowed to use a portion of the expense as an adjustment to your income.
I did it a couple of years for my daughters braces. Wasn't going to get up to the required percentage to get the med cost deduction.
You have daughters! I had no idea:lol:

LJCreason

HSA Health Savings Accounts

Most of the replies are talking about FSA's Flexible Spending Accounts. These are use it or lose it money that you have deducted pre-tax and there are real advantages to those.

But the original question was about HSA's Health Savings Accounts. To my way of thinking these are awesome. Usually very low premium, very high deductible - that's where the savings account comes in. Instead of paying the premium to the insurance company - bank it. It's your money - it is used towards the very high deductible, but then if you don't use it whatever you have banked is yours - you keep it in the HSA. If you are enrolling through an employer make sure that if you quit you can take your savings account with you - I believe the answer is always yes, but make sure. This money will accrue for as long as you contribute and can always be used to pay for a list of medical expenses. However, say year after year you allow for the high deductible (there is a limit to how much you can contribute), but year after year you do not spend what you are banking, at or after age 59 1/2 you can withdraw that money for non-medical same as you could from a 401k or IRA, that money would then be taxed as you withdraw for non-medical at that time. The idea is that you would begin to draw on the money in your retirement years when your income is lower and so then your tax bracket would be lower. The current tax benefit is that you lower your taxable income, and pay for medical expenses out of tax-free moneys. The other current benefit is that instead of giving the health insurer a large premium, you pay it to yourself. The later tax benefit is that when you want to begin to spend it on non-medical after 59 1/2 assuming you are retired and in a lower tax bracket then you will end up paying less tax than you would have during your working years. Also you are contributing towards your retirement fund. It's very cool!

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
LJ,

You are correct! I spoke with an individual who specializes in HSA's and I will be able to save over 4K a year in medical premiums by going with a HSA. Typically, I only go to the doctor once, maybe twice a year. I can pay for my visit in 2 months of premiums. HSA's ARE the way to go, but I'd love to get more information from individuals/organizations who are currently utilizing this advantage.

Thanks for your input!

LJCreason

Chasey_Lane said:
LJ,

You are correct! I spoke with an individual who specializes in HSA's and I will be able to save over 4K a year in medical premiums by going with a HSA. Typically, I only go to the doctor once, maybe twice a year. I can pay for my visit in 2 months of premiums. HSA's ARE the way to go, but I'd love to get more information from individuals/organizations who are currently utilizing this advantage.

Thanks for your input!
I forgot to mention that I am enrolled in one. The administrator issues a debit card and it couldn't be any easier to use.