Religious Fanatics

BL

It is funny how there are no religious fanatics that want to talk about all of these priest that have molested children in the New England area.  I see in previous posts that some individuals were preaching and quoting the Bible, but now you are silent.  And the arrogance of the one Cardinal that won’t step down is sickening to me.  He should be thrown in jail.  

Sharon

Staff member
PREMO Member
I'm not a religious fanatic, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night. :lol: (sorry, couldn't help myself.) :crazy:

And the arrogance of the one Cardinal that won’t step down is sickening to me.  He should be thrown in jail.

I totally agree with you.  Anyone that molests children (or rapists) should be thrown in jail, enough of this reform crap.  They get off too easy. :cussing:

jimmy

Drunkard
Many of the religious "fanatics" on this board don't want to address this issue, I'm assuming, because they constantly provide examples of the way that people they deem "imoral abominations" are leading their lives. Now, they see it from Christians and they don't want us throwing back in their faces "see? I guess ALL christians are child-molesting, bat=sh*t loons!" Which, of course, we WON'T say, cause that'd be stupid and short sighted.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
I am some what religious, but I'm not catholic.  I never have gotten the catholic religion?  But I say throw his A@@  in jail too.

The problem here is a catholic church problem not a christian church problem. There are problably fewwer Catholics on this board, hence the silence. I for one am proud to say that I am a Cafteria Catholic and the kind of catholic church that I would like to see would include woman religious as priests/clerics and there would be no celibacy (a man-made imposition). The problem with the RC church now is that the clergy are so out of touch with what is going on all around them. Or maybe they just close their eyes. I've heard of priests owning vacation properties and having girlfriends and boyfriends on the side. How's that possible with vows of celibacy and proverty?  

Christy

b*tch rocket
Jimmy, you are way off base on your assumptions.  I for one consider myself Christian, however, I am far from Catholic.  Catholicism is in a league of it's own, so please don't be presumptuous and spew that we've all tucked tail because of a bunch of pervy priests!   What is it with you and  your hatred of anyone or anything Christian?  

And I can't believe everyone is so shocked about the Catholic Priests molesting a bunch of kids.  It's been talked about and written about for eons!  No big shocker there.  What shocks me (well not really, cause I'm cynical like that) is how much reverence and faith people put into a Priest (or any human being other than Reagan :wink: for that matter ), like he's some sort of God himself.  

I say send them all to jail, but since child molestors tend to get minimal sentences as it is, my hope (and belief) is that God sorts it all out in the end, and has a very special place in hell for those who prey on children.

missi1013

Catch Me If You Can!
:clap: Christy!!!!  Christian and Catholic two way seperate religions.  Yes they are based on one god, but different ways of going about it!!!!

jimmy

Drunkard
First of all, I wasn't bashing christians. I was saying that many of the Hard core religious, which BL noted were not really bringing this up, are probably not doing so because it looks bad. And the Catholic sect of Christianity IS different than the protestant sects but they are all CHRISTIANS. And don't try and make it seem like I hate Christians. I take issue with fundamentalist and I'm not a beliver myself but I have no hatred towards christianity itself. Calm yourself.

SxyPrincess

musicmaker57 on 12:39 pm on April 17, 2002[br] How's that possible with vows of celibacy and proverty?  

R.C. Priests do not take vows of poverty.  That would be R. C. Religious Sisters (Nuns). Priests take public vows of obedience and celibacy.  If you looked up the meaning of celibacy in the dictionary, it would explain "no marriage."  Therefore, they are allowed sexual relations.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Sxy,

The Merriam Webster dictionary says celibacy means;
1 : the state of not being married
2 a : abstention from sexual intercourse b : abstention by vow from marriage

It seems that 2a above covers that for the priests unless of course you want to look at the Clinton definition of sexual intercourse.  And just so I am clear on your comment "Therefore, they are allowed sexual relations", are you saying that you think perverted sex with children is okay if it is a priest doing it or is it okay for them to indulge in sexual activity as a consenting adult?  

SxyPrincess

Ken,

Notice I DID NOT say intercouse.  I don't think it's right for anyone to have sexual relations/intercourse with children, Priests included.  

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I thought the following was interesting:

Electronic Journal of Human Sexuality, Volume 2, Feb. 6, 1999
www.ejhs.org
MANDATORY CELIBACY AND SEXUAL ETHICS
IN THE LATIN RITE OF THE ROMAN CATHOLIC CHURCH

Part 1
CELIBACY DEFINED

Celibacy is the state of being unmarried.  Chastity is the avoidance of all sexual activity outside the married state.  As far as Rome is concerned, any attempt to distinguish between celibacy and chastity in the priesthood is an idle exercise in semantics.  Priests who marry (without a dispensation) violate the law of the Church and the divine law of chastity. Throughout the first part of this paper, then, we will be using the word "celibacy" according to the definition proposed by theologian Leonard Weber:
"Celibacy here means not simply the fact of not being married…celibacy is here understood as the unmarried state chosen in the light of the Christian faith, and in particular as one of the duties of the state in life of the clergy of the Latin Church by which they are forbidden to marry and obliged to live in total continence." (Weber, 1975, p.178)

However, later in our paper, we hope to demonstrate that, even though celibacy (renunciation of marriage) and abstinence (renunciation of extra-marital sexual activity) have come to be identified in Roman Catholic hierarchical and populist thinking, they proceed, in fact from two separate ideologies, one born of power, the other born of sex negative asceticism.  By twinning and identifying celibacy and abstinence, the Roman Catholic Church had found the perfect formula for controlling the lives of its ordained.

One common misunderstanding (evidenced by the way people speak, e.g. "He broke his vow and married") is that celibacy is a vow taken by ordained priests of the Latin Church.  Celibacy is not a vow.  In Roman Catholic theology, a vow is a promise made directly to God.  Celibacy is an obligation imposed by the institutional Church.  We notice the use of "obligation" words in the most recent Code of Canon Law where no reference is made to celibacy as a vow:
    “Clerics are obliged to observe perfect and perpetual continence for the sake of the kingdom of heaven and, therefore, are obliged to observe celibacy." (canon 277)
And, again:
    "...loss of clerical state does not entail a dispensation from the obligation of celibacy." (canon 291) (Code of Canon Law:  1983. pp. 97 & 103)

BL

Christy,

I brought this up because it just shows how big of hypocrites some people are.  On one hand they are saying, live this way because that is the way God wants you to live and then on the other hand they are molesting children.  This does not make a lot of sense to me.  I believe in God and believe religion is a good thing.  I just don’t like the hypocrites and religious fanatics who throw the bible around thinking they are better than everyone else because everyone else does not agree with them, or in there eyes what God believes (as if they know)

Christy

b*tch rocket
Jimmy, liar liar!  Pants on Fire! :lmao:  You are always frothing at the mouth anytime anyone quotes the Bible! :wink:

And I think you're wrongo again on the hard core religious types not wanting to bring it up (unless of course they are Catholic hard core).  Protestants of any sort love to trash the Catholics whenever possible! :)

SxyPrincess

Ken,

Do I really need to explain sexual relations?  I thought it was self-explanatory!

Anyhow, I don't feel like arguing with you because you have nothing better to do.

Christy

b*tch rocket
BL, you don't have to be religious zealot to be a hypocrite.  Case in point LIBERALS!   :angel: :twitch:

Don't even get me going with examples of liberal hypocrisy!  

You know what, you just made me think of a very good thread!  Going to start one strictly on hypocrisy!  Of any sort, it will be an equal opportunity rant on hypocrites. :cheers:

Ken King

PREMO Member
Sxy,

You make comments that are as clear as mud and then don't want to clarify what it is you are talking about.   My interest isn't in arguing with you it is in discussing this topic at hand and I find your tone as shallow as your mental process and responses.  

SxyPrincess

Ken,

Sure I'll discuss the topic with you.  I work for the Roman Catholic Church and have excellent resources on this topic.  I'll give you my website and you can check it out for yourself.

Ken King

PREMO Member
And you make a six figure salary (based on much earlier postings you have made) working for them?  Right.