Help.. Appy Maybe?

watercolor

yeah yeah
We got a new rattie baby! It has been almost 3 weeks since we have got her, and she is still skiddish. Anything you know to do about this?

We have the other 2 rats also. We of course want them to be able to live in the same cage. Problem is- our girl rat (who is about 11 mths old) still picks on her (meaning the new rattie baby). Will gaurd her, jump at her, on her, sqeek at her, and just is plain mean to her. She hasnt bit her- but I am not so sure- it wouldn't happen if they were in the same cage together overnight or something.

I watched to see if it was just rough housing and such- but it isnt. Penny Lane (the new baby) is always running over to her- and stands there and looks at her- wanting to play and or cuddle, but Rayne will not have anything to do with her. Sir Lucas will play, cuddle, clean and run back and fourth with Penny- but Rayne wont. :(

When Rayne (the girl rat) was introduced to Sir Lucas (our neutered male rat) she did fine- and they are best buddies. Always nuzzling, and cuddling, etc etc. But she just wont have it with Penny.

Any ideas on what to do? Why this is happening? I mean we put them in familiar open territory together- its not like we just put Penny in the cage with them. We put them on neutral grounds- and rayne STILL is a beyotch to her. I dont want to keep Penny seperated in her own cage much longer- that is why I am soliciting the advise. Thanks!

watercolor

yeah yeah
cattitude said:
You have one male and two females in the same cage? Isn't that a problem?

Male and female in 1 cage. The baby is in her own cage. No. Hasnt been yet. He is neutered. So no babies will come of that.

watercolor

yeah yeah
DoWhat said:
What does a rattie look like?

Which one? do you think their color markings would make a difference? Just currious. And the baby rat, actually looks like Rayne- although her markings are a little different.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
watercolor said:
Male and female in 1 cage. The baby is in her own cage. No. Hasnt been yet. He is neutered. So no babies will come of that.

I would just think the females could be a bit territorial.

watercolor

yeah yeah
cattitude said:
I would just think the females could be a bit territorial.

Well, she hasnt ever been territorial around Sir Lucas. Maybe because it was his cage first? :shrug: I am not sure. Maybe she respected the bounds- noticing it was his home first. I have no clue. She just will not have anything to do with Penny.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
watercolor said:
Which one? do you think their color markings would make a difference? Just currious. And the baby rat, actually looks like Rayne- although her markings are a little different.
Never heard of a rattie (rat) as a pet.
Are they somekind of special rats?

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
watercolor said:
Well, she hasnt ever been territorial around Sir Lucas. Maybe because it was his cage first? :shrug: I am not sure. Maybe she respected the bounds- noticing it was his home first. I have no clue. She just will not have anything to do with Penny.

Do a google search...there's a bunch of stuff out there to read on the topic.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Sounds like common female jealousy. She doesn't want to share her space, toys, or playmate with another female.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Catt- I found a ratty forum, and have searched there- they have some weird things about putting vanilla on their backs- to show that they smell the same or something. I mean- its not going to hurt to try- but, I just wasnt sure- if there was a way to do something else. Didnt know if maybe I should switch them cages for a night or something. Put Rayne in Penny's cage and vise versa- so that she could get use to penny's scent and such- or what. I, although, dont want to traumatize Rayne- because she is so use to being around Sir Lucas and is rarely ever seperated from him- unless its a vet appt or rayne gets in trouble.

watercolor

yeah yeah
bresamil said:
Sounds like common female jealousy. She doesn't want to share her space, toys, or playmate with another female.

Maybe that is what it is and its just going to "Take Time". I have no clue. Its just that Sir Lucas was so welcoming to Rayne- and then he has also be very welcoming to penny. Rayne is very loveable and affectionate- just not towards penny. Very well could be the jealousy thing. Almost like "Im the top beyotch around here"... but I would have thought she would have backed off by now.

When we first brought Penny home- Rayne acted almost like she was scared and was VERY clingy to jesse and I- almost like she thought she was being replaced.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
watercolor said:
Rayne acted almost like she was scared and was VERY clingy to jesse and I- almost like she thought she was being replaced.
You let them out of the cage and play around the house?

watercolor

yeah yeah
DoWhat said:
You let them out of the cage and play around the house?

Only in certain areas. They dont roam the house. You cant just keep rats in a cage and never hold them or pay attention to them. They get very depressed if that happens.

watercolor

yeah yeah
Look guys. I appreciate the help from Catt and bresamil and even DoWhat (in a way)...... but if you dont have anything to contribute other than to be dumb and make comments and such- that are fully irrelevant or dumb- I ask that you PLEASE leave the thread alone. I am just asking for some help on something.

and Kwillia.. cute picture. That is what sir lucas looks like but with a tan head! :)

watercolor

yeah yeah
appyday said:
Yes as Catt said the females are territorial...More so to another female then a male...they will get along I am sure..but Rayne could end up killing Penny if you are not careful when she is young..

I would get a cage for Lucas and Rayne..let them bond..and let Penny grow some (which will not take long) then put Rayne in Pennys cage and let her be the outsider...just a thought...good luck...I had pet rats before...did not know they neutered males..good idea I hate when they crawl around on you dragging their big bald balls...

Thank you Appy! Fortunately, we already have a cage for penny that is seperate from rayne and sir lucas' cage. So, no worries there. And yes- as I commented earlier- it very well could be that she just thinks she is top rat- and so she is being territorial.

Yeap- they can neuter the males. Sir Lucas got neutered about a mth after we got him (had to be 6 mths old) and it was pretty brutal. I hated it. Poor thing had to wear one of those cones- they made it special for him. Ended up from the cone- it rubbed the hair off from his neck. Of course it is grown bac now. But I felt bad for him. But yes, they can. They did it by laser to- rather than actually cutting.

Thank you very much for replying. I was thinking- after bres and catt said it- that it was just that rayne was being territorial. Never occured to me- until someone said it. Sheesh. I appreciate your reply! :flowers: