Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake

Blondie76

My friend at work made this for our Thanksgiving Pot Luck and everyone loved it, she only had one small piece left to take home to her boyfriend. She got the recipe off of the Food Network show with Paula Deen. This "cake" is awesome. If you want an alternative to Pumpkin Pie try this for your Thanksgiving dessert. Enjoy! :smile:

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Yield: 6 to 8 servings

Cake:
1 (18 1/4-ounce) package yellow cake mix
1 egg
8 tablespoons butter, melted

Filling:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
1 (15-ounce) can pumpkin
3 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
8 tablespoons butter, melted
1 (16-ounce) box powdered sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon nutmeg

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Combine the cake mix, egg, and butter and mix well with an electric mixer. Pat the mixture into the bottom of a lightly greased 13 by 9-inch baking pan.
To make the filling: In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and pumpkin until smooth. Add the eggs, vanilla, and butter, and beat together. Next, add the powdered sugar, cinnamon, nutmeg, and mix well. Spread pumpkin mixture over cake batter and bake for 40 to 50 minutes. Make sure not to overbake as the center should be a little gooey.
Serve with fresh whipped cream.

Variations:

For a Pineapple Gooey Cake: Instead of the pumpkin, add a drained 20-ounce can of crushed pineapple to the cream cheese filling. Proceed as directed above.

For a Banana Gooey Cake: Prepare cream cheese filling as directed, beating in 2 ripe bananas instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

For a Peanut Butter Gooey Cake: Use a chocolate cake mix. Add 1 cup creamy peanut butter to the cream cheese filling instead of the pumpkin. Proceed as directed above.

Blondie76

cattitude said:
This sounds really good. :yay: I'm gonna give it a try.

May not be all that healthy, with the 2 sticks of butter and all...but damn it's GOOD! :yum: I guarantee everyone will like it. Let me know how it turns out. :smile:

L

ladylara

i am in love with paula deen. everything she makes is just heavenly.

V

Vixen

This just came out of the oven. Hummm.... too soon to eat it :tap:

It smells yummy.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Blondie76 said:
My friend at work made this for our Thanksgiving Pot Luck and everyone loved it, she only had one small piece left to take home to her boyfriend. She got the recipe off of the Food Network show with Paula Deen. This "cake" is awesome. If you want an alternative to Pumpkin Pie try this for your Thanksgiving dessert. Enjoy! :smile:

I was just flipping through my recipes and remembered I actually made this last year. :stupid: It's very good. It also has a double chocolate variation that I haven't made. I'll post the recipe later.