Wind chill table for motorcycle riding

marianne

While trying to figure out the best time to rent a Harley in Vegas, I found this handy-dandy wind chill table that illustrates varying riding temperatures. I'm sure you long-time riders out there have a pretty good sense of this and don't need the chart but I thought some other folks might find it useful. You know, beginner riders or overly analytical people like me :biggrin:

http://www.xs11.com/tips/riding/ride4.shtml

That's interesting that the effective temperature rises after about 75mph. Friction I wonder? Ride fast, stay warm. haha.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
Thanks. Back that URL down and you get some more interesting charts.
Windchill only affects skin that is left uncovered to the elements.. if you are covered head to toe.. 32 degrees is 32 degrees no matter how fast you are going..

to "feel" this, go out when it's about 40, wear only one glove, doesn't even have to be a glove, just something to keep your hand out of the wind. Neck gaiter's, and full face helmets (even though that wouldn't be cool) are your friend when it gets below freezing.

itsbob said:
Windchill only affects skin that is left uncovered to the elements.. if you are covered head to toe.. 32 degrees is 32 degrees no matter how fast you are going..

to "feel" this, go out when it's about 40, wear only one glove, doesn't even have to be a glove, just something to keep your hand out of the wind. Neck gaiter's, and full face helmets (even though that wouldn't be cool) are your friend when it gets below freezing.
Could that be what they meant by unprotected skin?

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:

I wore my Full face this morning. :shrug:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
Roads were still wet at 0555 when I came this morning so I wore full cage with heat and stereo
Beautiful morning for a ride in.. even left the riding pants in the side cases this morning. Cranked up the tunes, zipped up the jacket and zoomed up 235.. even put the windshield back down it was so nice out.

itsbob said:
Beautiful morning for a ride in.. even left the riding pants in the side cases this morning. Cranked up the tunes, zipped up the jacket and zoomed up 235.. even put the windshield back down it was so nice out.

Well of course it was nice on the Bimmer, what with standard heated seats and fully automatic climate control devices! :lmao:

dustin

UAIOE
thakidistight said:
Well of course it was nice on the Bimmer, what with standard heated seats and fully automatic climate control devices! :lmao:
I miss being a human flyswatter sometimes...

itsbob

I bowl overhand
thakidistight said:
Nope, NOT that high speed.. No electric clothes.. no heated seats.. just heated grips, that really do nothing when you have winter golves on. No full size windscreen, just a little wind "diverter".. so am still in the wind, still have a helmet covered in bugs.. hell even took a bat(furry flying kind) to the chest last summer.

BTW.. cars are Bimmers.. bikes are Beemers..

itsbob said:
Nope, NOT that high speed.. No electric clothes.. no heated seats.. just heated grips, that really do nothing when you have winter golves on. No full size windscreen, just a little wind "diverter".. so am still in the wind, still have a helmet covered in bugs.. hell even took a bat(furry flying kind) to the chest last summer.

BTW.. cars are Bimmers.. bikes are Beemers..

:lmao: I know bob, Ive seen your bike! We just like to give you BEEMER guys crap cause we are soooooooooooo jealous :sarcasm: :lmao:

You really got hit by a bat??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Got hit at night (of course) and I thought it was a Bird, woke up the next morning and found it on the bike.