Leaf distribution

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I've never had a yard where I had a ton of leaves (a good 20-25 bags worth I'm guessing) and I'm wondering what to do with 'em. I have 4 huge piles in the back yard now. There are a couple areas back there where there is no grass; just dirt. Would it make for better grass growing next spring or fall if I were to distribute the leaves over those areas and just let 'em sit there over the winter, or just bag 'em up? :ohwell:

There are also some trees/shrubs back there that I'm thinking it would make for good mulch around the roots/base, but I don't know how leaves work as a mulch if they're not chopped/mulched up. :shrug:

TIA! :smile:

crabcake

carolinagirl said:
If you are in the city limits, you can rake them to the curb and the city will send a crew every few days that sucks them up.
I'm doing that with the ones from the front yard, but to bring THIS many leaves to the front curb from the back yard ... it'll cause a street blockage! :yikes: :lol:

The pile we've accumulated up front is massive! The neighborhood kids keep bringing others' leaves into our pile, and they ride their scooters from the end of the street down and into them; it's cute to watch 'em. :lol:

crabcake

rack'm said:
Mulch'm......:yay:

Till your bare spots and plant grass seed.
I don't know how I could mulch this many leaves ... if you mean with a mower ... chop 'em up. I can't get my (now useless) riding mower in the back yard b/c the gate isn't wide enough, and there are tooo many for the push mower. Plus, they're all wet cuz we've had rain on and off for days. :frown:

But if you mean "just scoot 'em in those areas and under the trees", I'm all over it! :biggrin:

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
I don't know how I could mulch this many leaves ... if you mean with a mower ... chop 'em up. I can't get my (now useless) riding mower in the back yard b/c the gate isn't wide enough, and there are tooo many for the push mower. Plus, they're all wet cuz we've had rain on and off for days. :frown:

But if you mean "just scoot 'em in those areas and under the trees", I'm all over it! :biggrin:

Buy a mulcher.....:neener:

crabcake

rack'm said:
Buy a mulcher.....:neener:
:tap: Whatta they run, and is there another use for it besides leaves? I don't really need it for trees/limbs and crap. How big are they, etc?

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
Biatchin'! :yay: Have you used it or one like it before? This is gonna be an annual chore so it'd pay for itself the first year! :clap:

Yep, but the leaves should be dry. :yay:

crabcake

One question, though ... what's the difference between the leaves as they are and chopping 'em up? I'm guessing it's just better/faster for them to decompose if they're in smaller pieces. :shrug:

crabcake

rack'm said:
Yep, but the leaves should be dry. :yay:
It says it's okay if they're wet. :confused:

Is this something I can get at Lowes or HD, ya know? I'm impatient as a :gossip: so I want it NOW! :jet:

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
One question, though ... what's the difference between the leaves as they are and chopping 'em up? I'm guessing it's just better/faster for them to decompose if they're in smaller pieces. :shrug:

:yay: Exactly......shredding the leaves starts them breaking down.

rack'm

Jaded
crabcake said:
It says it's okay if they're wet. :confused:

Is this something I can get at Lowes or HD, ya know? I'm impatient as a :gossip: so I want it NOW! :jet:

It seems to work faster and easier with dry leaves.......I'm sure you can get one at Lowes, but I don't know the cost.

crabcake

rack'm said:
It seems to work faster and easier with dry leaves.......I'm sure you can get one at Lowes, but I don't know the cost.
I looked online (lowes and HD) to no avail. :frown: I'll call and see what they have in-store. :yay:

Thanks much! :love:

crabcake

dustin said:
you cant burn them?
I'm pretty sure the city has a no-burn ordnance ... besides, we're on the tail end of a drought (even with the rain we just had) and I'd hate to be the cause of my neighborhood going up in flames right before Christmas. :biggrin:

dustin

UAIOE
crabcake said:
I'm pretty sure the city has a no-burn ordnance ... besides, we're on the tail end of a drought (even with the rain we just had) and I'd hate to be the cause of my neighborhood going up in flames right before Christmas. :biggrin:
that sucks :ohwell:

Could you pay those kids riding their scooters into the front leaf piles a few bucks to put the leaves out back in an empty trash can and then empty them out front?

crabcake

dustin said:
that sucks :ohwell:

Could you pay those kids riding their scooters into the front leaf piles a few bucks to put the leaves out back in an empty trash can and then empty them out front?
Nahh, they're really not old enough ... they'd quit after the second trip. :lol: Besides, I enjoy doing the work for exercise, and I play with the dogs while I do it. I just don't wanna move this many leaves to the curb (too tedious getting 'em all through the gate, down the driveway, and there's really too many to leave at the curb. If I can mulch 'em up and improve my growing conditions in the spring for flowers and whatnot, I'm happy with that. I wouldn't even mind bagging 'em up, but if there's a good use for 'em besides the dump, I'd rather do it. :yay: