Aircraft Sound Barrier Pics

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Someone sent these pics to me via email with the description: This phenomena happens only at the instant an aircraft breaks the sound barrier and it literally looks like the aircraft goes through a wall. Very interesting!

Not sure if it's true or not, but the pics are pretty cool! :yay:

Attachments

• B-1B.jpg
    B-1B.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 260
  • F-18.jpg
    F-18.jpg
    3.3 KB · Views: 192
  • FA-18.jpg
    FA-18.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 211

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
crabcake said:
Someone sent these pics to me via email with the description: This phenomena happens only at the instant an aircraft breaks the sound barrier and it literally looks like the aircraft goes through a wall. Very interesting!

Not sure if it's true or not, but the pics are pretty cool! :yay:

yeah that is true.......only when they break the barrier does the cloud form. pretty cool to see

dustin

UAIOE
I've seen it happen about 50 yards from the flightdeck of the USS John F Kennedy (RIP). Pretty sweet pics :yay:

gwa

the sonic boom is awesome to see. It is funny when the airwing does a airshow on the ship and the A/c has a compressor stall.
Air Boss "and coming from the fantail and an slicked F18 doing a high speed run"
A/C goes by with a tease of a cloud and a weird sound
Powerplants LPO "oh *&^%!!....again!?"

tomchamp

The Caption under that photo!

A real, unaltered photo taken over the Pacific July 7, 1999 by Ensign John Gay. The plane is an F/A-18 Hornet assigned to Strike Fighter Squadron One Five One (VFA-151). The plane is approaching the speed of sound, causing a vapor cone to form around it. The image is available on a Navy website.

Wonder what his call sign is... :lmao:

tomchamp

LooseTooth said:
I always liked this one of the B2...

b2.jpg

The B-2 is subsonic..so the cloud theory has nothing to do with the sound barrier, but just how much moisture is in the air!

LooseTooth

open loop stable
tomchamp said:
The B-2 is subsonic..so the cloud theory has nothing to do with the sound barrier, but just how much moisture is in the air!

It's a little more complicated than that. Check the link I posted above if you want to learn more :yay:

dustin

UAIOE
well whatever the heck the explanation is its pretty cool to see that cloud around the plane. :yay:

What's next? Discussing how roller bearings create a lesser drag coeffecient within a zero gravity wind tunnel than ball bearings?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
tomchamp said:
No doubt about that! I flew in a C-130 from France to Naples, 3 1/2 Hrs
hated every minute of it, but felt somewhat safe. :yay:
I gotcha beat! I flew from Tucson to Aviano AB in a Herc ... 3 days. And to make it a tad bit worse, it was an E model ... the oldest models flying at that time. That specific fleet had Hercs w/over 30K flying hours on 'em, and that was 9 years ago. Kinda scary to think about when you're flying over the Atlantic. :jet:

dustin

UAIOE
crabcake said:
:nono: You know I was a zoomie. We did have seats that went horizontal for the flight, which made it a bit more tolerable. :whistle:
you said you flew over the Atlantic :shrug:

and just what were yall doin in the horizontal seat positions...