Sleep apnea...

Larry Gude

Strung Out
...I think I have this and tonight I get to go be a ginea pig.

I show up at 9:30 and they hook me up to a few monitors and then...I go to sleep while some tech keeps and eye on me all night. This is gonna be wierd. "You don't have apnea, Mr. Gude, but we now know why your wrist is always sore and you really need to cut down on the burritos...".

What kind of a nut job wants to watch people sleep? Some Freddy Krueger wannabe???

Vrai swears I snore. Never heard it myself so, we'll see. Plus I do the classic stop breathing thing for a few seconds that is apnea, or so I read, and then snort back to life again.

Never bothers me but I do keep having this recurring dream of a pillow and some party or celebration I never seem to be invited to...

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
I had the sleep study before I had my sinus surgery. They had to rule out apnea before they did the surgery. It was a little creepy knowing you're being watched. But they mainly watch the results they are getting from all the little electrodes thye stick on your head and wrists and ankles. Oh, and then they want to you fall asleep normally..before 10.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Larry Gude said:
.... "You don't have apnea, Mr. Gude, but we now know why your wrist is always sore and you really need to cut down on the burritos..."
Choking the chicken and farting, sounds like you're healthy to me. :killingme

mAlice

professional daydreamer
I've never done the study, but have started snoring since I collided with the bull. Deviated septum.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Larry Gude said:
Vrai swears I snore.
Snoring is the least of it. At least when you're snoring I know you're still alive.

He does this gasping, fighting for air thing. Like he'll snore out, then everything shuts down and his airway closes. I counted him at 22 seconds one time before he started breathing again.

So off he trots to the sleep disorder place to get that crap fixed.

meangirl

Nice lady!
vraiblonde said:
Snoring is the least of it. At least when you're snoring I know you're still alive.

He does this gasping, fighting for air thing. Like he'll snore out, then everything shuts down and his airway closes. I counted him at 22 seconds one time before he started breathing again.

My father did the same thing. He did the sleep study and ended up with a CPAP machine to use at night. He said he felt like a new person after the first night on it. :yay: Good Luck Larry.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
vraiblonde said:

CPAP and then he'll look like Lloyd Bridges getting ready for a dive.

Toxick

Splat
Larry Gude said:
What kind of a nut job wants to watch people sleep? Some Freddy Krueger wannabe???

Actually, I've been twice to sleep studies. The first time I went there was a hottie nurse who monitored me. The second time, it was an older - but very nice - nurse who did it.

Vrai swears I snore. Never heard it myself so, we'll see. Plus I do the classic stop breathing thing for a few seconds that is apnea, or so I read, and then snort back to life again.

That's me. I never knew that I snored until I started sleeping with Mrs, Toxick. She made me aware of the fact, quick, fast and in a hurry. She said it scared the bejezus out of her when I would choke and gag all night long.

As it turns out, I have hundreds of "apnea episodes" per night. It seems that I get about 2 and a half minutes of actual real sleep nightly. I never noticed this, until they hooked me up to a CPAP machine and I slept the night through.

Holy crap. What a difference.

Trust me, if you have apnea, you will be happy you're doing this.

So will anyone sharing your bed.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. :kiss: He swears he sleeps well, and I'm like, "You can't possibly!" He's up and down all night long. The snoring isn't what keeps me up all night - I can sleep through that. It's the waiting on tenterhooks for him to breathe so I don't wake up next to a corpse that keeps me awake.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
vraiblonde said:

FB does the exact same thing. Makes me nutz.

I've found that relocating works really well. :yay:

CMC122

Go Braves!
vraiblonde said:
Thank you all for your words of encouragement. :kiss: He swears he sleeps well, and I'm like, "You can't possibly!" He's up and down all night long. The snoring isn't what keeps me up all night - I can sleep through that. It's the waiting on tenterhooks for him to breathe so I don't wake up next to a corpse that keeps me awake.
My husband never believed how bad he did that until I video taped him one time. He couldn't believe it when he saw the video.

meangirl

Nice lady!
elaine said:
FB does the exact same thing. Makes me nutz.

I've found that relocating works really well. :yay:

Relocating him works even better. :lol: When my husbands snoring keeps me awake I just stab him with my fingernails and he'll turn on his side which helps. (that doesn't work with people who have sleep apnea though)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
vraiblonde said:

Up the life insurance BEFORE he gets tested!!

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Hey Larry

Wait until Vrai has to sleep next to you with the CPAP machine purring in the background, not to mention the creepy headgear thing you'll have to wear. :lol:

meangirl

Nice lady!
cattitude said:
Wait until Vrai has to sleep next to you with the CPAP machine purring in the background, not to mention the creepy headgear thing you'll have to wear. :lol:

:killingme My son was 3 when my dad got his and when he saw him with it on he screamed and ran out of the room!

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
cattitude said:
Wait until Vrai has to sleep next to you with the CPAP machine purring in the background, not to mention the creepy headgear thing you'll have to wear.
We'll paint it black and I can pretend he's Darth Vader. :hubbahubba: