Declawing

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Am I a mean mommy for even thinking about this? I know the procedure is a lot less painful now, but I'm sure it still hurts. :sad:

Catt, can you offer any assitance with a veterinarian who performs this? What are the pros/cons?

Timon's nails stay trimmed, but he still manages to claw at furniture. He wants nothing to do with his scratch pad. :lol:

FancyBelle

I'm 2 old 2 die young!
Three Notch Vet does it with a laser and they don't even know they have been declawed. I have been thinking about it too, but bigfoot said absolutely not.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Naturally, I don't agree with it. My cats don't really bother my furniture. They don't like scratching posts either. I do trim their nails regularly and there's not much of a problem.

It can make them biters in some cases.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
FancyBelle said:
Three Notch Vet does it with a laser and they don't even know they have been declawed. I have been thinking about it too, but bigfoot said absolutely not.

:mad:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
We had Blu, our snowshoe siamese who is now 4 year old, all four paw declawed. He did not become a biter but we did have the surgery when he was 4 months old.

If you don't want to have him declawed Chasey....they used to make, probably still do, a spray you put on the places you don't want the cat to scratch. Maybe try that to see if that would work.

Jameo

What?!
Chasey_Lane said:
Am I a mean mommy for even thinking about this? I know the procedure is a lot less painful now, but I'm sure it still hurts. :sad:

Catt, can you offer any assitance with a veterinarian who performs this? What are the pros/cons?

Timon's nails stay trimmed, but he still manages to claw at furniture. He wants nothing to do with his scratch pad. :lol:

MEAMIE :frown:

Do you know how they declaw a cat? Imagine having your finger cut off at your first knuckle :yikes:

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
I had it done to my older kitty, and am going to get it done to Magoo when the daughter takes her kitty home to her new apt next week (I haven't told him yet). Magoo keeps jumping onto our Terrerium for the lizards and raking his claws down the screen and tearing it. We have some valuable lizards in there, not to mention the crickets getting out. I've even gone as far as putting a stool right in front of the thing so he can watch them like TV, but he still climbs on it. :frown: Rottncop has put his foot down on it. It was painful for the other kitty, but only for a few days then she was fine. And they gave me some pain meds for her, which seemed to make her sleep it off? She survived, and she still scratches the carpet and door jambs like she still has claws. No ill effects here and no biting.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
jwwb2000 said:
If you don't want to have him declawed Chasey....they used to make, probably still do, a spray you put on the places you don't want the cat to scratch. Maybe try that to see if that would work.
I've seen some clear film at Petco and I'm thinking about buying it. I keep Timon's nails trimmed, but he still loves ONE corner of Day's big comfy chair. :ohwell: Thanks for the tip.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
if declawing is mutilation, what is circumcision?
Sorry if it comes to declawing or getting rid of my kitty....he'll loose his sharpies...sorry Appyday...

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
happyappygirl said:
if declawing is mutilation, what is circumcision?
Sorry if it comes to declawing or getting rid of my kitty....he'll loose his sharpies...sorry Appyday...
I honestly didn't know the extent of the procedure until Jameo just showed me a picture. I just did a quick Google search and found additional, more narrative pictures. I don't know if I can put my son through that. :frown:

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Jameo said:
MEAMIE :frown:

Do you know how they declaw a cat? Imagine having your finger cut off at your first knuckle :yikes:

I worked at a vet many years ago..before the days of vet techs. I used to assist in surgeries. This was the one that got to me. They would mash down on the cats paw to fully extend the claw and then take the super toenail clippers and WHACK!!! I'm not squeemish but that used to get me at every whack

I know the laser is less painful and it severs the nerve endings and there's no bleeding but you are still taking part of the toe.

I dunno, I have pets. My house takes a hit everynow and then. :biggrin:

CityGrl

Time for a nap
Chasey_Lane said:
That makes me :sad: :frown:

Everyone makes this into a big inhumane deal, but every cat I have ever owned has been declawed in the front. My Sunny was declawed and neutered at the same time (6 months old).

What it comes down to is this: cats have short-term memory.

The cat DOES NOT REMEMBER the procedure, and even if he was in a little pain afterwards, he DOES NOT REMEMBER that either. People can continue to say that this makes them biters, mean, etc., but Sunny is the sweetest, most well-adjusted cat.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
being a log cabin, we can take the hit on the doorways...but the leather sofa, and lizard cage....rottncop ain't thrilled with them taking the hit, remember them stormclouds for eyes i mentioned? how do ya think i've seen 'em? :lol:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
Also Chasey....you can get catnip and rub it into what you approve the cat to claw on such as a scratching post. This is also "supposed" to help the cat to learn what can be scratched.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
CityGrl said:
Everyone makes this into a big inhumane deal, but every cat I have ever owned has been declawed in the front. My Sunny was declawed and neutered at the same time (6 months old).

What it comes down to is this: cats have short-term memory.

The cat DOES NOT REMEMBER the procedure, and even if he was in a little pain afterwards, he DOES NOT REMEMBER that either. People can continue to say that this makes them biters, mean, etc., but Sunny is the sweetest, most well-adjusted cat.
Timon turned 1 in October. I am worried about the long-term effects. My stepmoms cat was declawed at an early age and she never had any problems. I'm just worried that his paws could end up damaged. :sad:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
cattitude said:
I know the laser is less painful and it severs the nerve endings and there's no bleeding but you are still taking part of the toe.

Well what about spaying and nuetering? Way more invasive and not really medically beneficial to a cat (a dog yes). It is a partial amputation yes but if done with a laser it is virtually painless.