Wainscoting Question

We are painting the top half of the kitchen and hallway a creamy gold color and putting white wainscoting on the bottom for a country cottage look.

My question is the height of the wainscoting. DH said that we should go doorknob height but I'm looking for more of a country look and I want to go higher but with only 7ft or 8ft( I'm not sure) ceilings I'm not sure how high I should go.

Any suggestions?

workin hard said:
We are painting the top half of the kitchen and hallway a creamy gold color and putting white wainscoting on the bottom for a country cottage look.

My question is the height of the wainscoting. DH said that we should go doorknob height but I'm looking for more of a country look and I want to go higher but with only 7ft or 8ft( I'm not sure) ceilings I'm not sure how high I should go.

Any suggestions?
Are you buying the wianscoting already cut or are you cutting it? They have it pre packaged and I believe it comes in 36" length.

morganj614

I've always heard it was 1/3 of the wall height. But I have seen it done higher for a different look, like 6 feet with either molding or a shelf around the room. There are no rules when it comes to decorating, it's what you like.

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
I would guess 36" but that leads to waste if you are using 4x8 sheets so 32" would be a better number. At 30+ bucks a sheet waste could be a concern At lowes the other day and they have precut sheets for chair rail height.

Dougstermd said:
I would guess 36" but that leads to waste if you are using 4x8 sheets so 32" would be a better number. At 30+ bucks a sheet waste could be a concern At lowes the other day and they have precut sheets for chair rail height.
I didn't realize Wainscoting came in a sheet. Make putting it up easier I guess.....

Justanotherjoe said:
Are you buying the wianscoting already cut or are you cutting it? They have it pre packaged and I believe it comes in 36" length.
It is pre packaged I believe in 4' or 8' height.

I can't remember if it is 8' and we are thinking about cutting it to 4' or if it comes in 4'.

workin hard said:
It is pre packaged I believe in 8' height.
Okay mine was pre packaged and when I opened it I found it was already cut to 36". It was fun putting it up. Haven't painted it yet. May not paint, may just leave it as is....

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
Justanotherjoe said:
I didn't realize Wainscoting came in a sheet. Make putting it up easier I guess.....
it paneling but it is cut to look like the real thing and it is prefinished.

Justanotherjoe said:
Okay mine was pre packaged and when I opened it I found it was already cut to 36". It was fun putting it up. Haven't painted it yet. May not paint, may just leave it as is....
How hard was it to put up? We are putting it up tonight and putting with it being already pre painted ( I think) and the chairrail is going to have a little ledge on it. Gonna be cute when it's done just got to find a height and trust my instinct.

I'm hoping once we go and buy the stuff and then put it in there and put it up against the wall then it will be much easier to determine this. :lol:

workin hard said:
How hard was it to put up? We are putting it up tonight and putting with it being already pre painted ( I think) and the chairrail is going to have a little ledge on it. Gonna be cute when it's done just got to find a height and trust my instinct.

I'm hoping once we go and buy the stuff and then put it in there and put it up against the wall then it will be much easier to determine this. :lol:
It goes up fairly easy using the caulking gun with adhesive. Just make sure you have the lower line set for the foot molding then just glue each piece in place making sure they are straight.

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I've seen rooms where it goes up to about 5' and it looks very nice when done right. :yay: Browse some DIY sites, or look on Lowes/HD for pics. :yay:

I did it in my kitchen and dining area with those "all-inclusive" kits from Lowes and it was very easy. :yay:

crabcake said:
I've seen rooms where it goes up to about 5' and it looks very nice when done right. :yay: Browse some DIY sites, or look on Lowes/HD for pics. :yay:

I did it in my kitchen and dining area with those "all-inclusive" kits from Lowes and it was very easy. :yay:
Pics? :tap:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
workin hard said:
I just browsed through my pictures and I don't have them anymore; I think they were on my old computer, and it was in the house up there. :ohwell:

But basically, it was the doorknob height; the wainscotting, baseboard and chair rail were a dark brick red, and the walls above were a creamy taupe color. It was kind of italian bistro-esque. :lol:

D

dems4me

morganj614 said:
I've always heard it was 1/3 of the wall height. But I have seen it done higher for a different look, like 6 feet with either molding or a shelf around the room. There are no rules when it comes to decorating, it's what you like.

:yeahthat:

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Mine is about waist high I would say 4 feet. I have 8' ceilings and it works great. I have moulding on the botton and a chair moulding on the top and it looks really nice. With my hardwoods done the looks is very cozy

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
FastCarsSpeed said:
Mine is about waist high I would say 4 feet. I have 8' ceilings and it works great. I have moulding on the botton and a chair moulding on the top and it looks really nice. With my hardwoods done the looks is very cozy
48" you must have some long legs :killingme

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Dougstermd said:
48" you must have some long legs :killingme

Nah I just cant tell where my waist ends and belly begins LOL... Ok so maybe its a little higher I will pull out the tape measure and dig camera when I get home. LOL...

willie

4x8 sheets cut at 32" leaves no waste plus 4" Base, 4" Chair Rail and total height should be just under the light switch.

Attachments

• carpenter_sawing_md_wht.gif
    carpenter_sawing_md_wht.gif
    8.3 KB · Views: 52