Obtaining a Permit to Carry a Handgun

calvertcrazy

Anyone know if you can simply use "Self Defense" as the reason. My understanding was that you had to show some pretty good justification.

calvertcrazy

aps45819 said:
:killingme :lmao: :killingme :lmao: :killingme

To get a permit in MD, you have to have been shot and killed to qualify.

That's what I thought... then a friend showed my his permit and said he always uses 'self defense' as a reason. Said he had to take a class, but that was it.

calvertcrazy said:
That's what I thought... then a friend showed my his permit and said he always uses 'self defense' as a reason. Said he had to take a class, but that was it.

Good luck :youwillnevergetone: :yay:

Bonehead

Self defense is not considered valid in MD unless you have proof i.e. a police report of your being mugged or stalked etc. or being a business person that takes receipts to a bank after hours. Many other states are very liberal but not "the free State".

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
They wouln't give me one, because I panic....just like when the school calls at 5:00 in the morning. Their afraid I might shoot the phone! :whistle:

iceeyes9

Born and Bred Hillybilly
Seriously..........You have to have 3 documented valid threats against your life....or show a money reason, such as making large buisness deposits on a regular basis.

dustin

UAIOE
There are some old threads on this subject with some good links IIRC.

here's one

here's another

If you are an everyday joe schmo like the rest of us you can forget about getting a concealed carry permit here in MD.

Last edited:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Maryland does not trust its law abiding citizens. You can get out of state permits as a Maryland resident in Florida, Virginia, and a lot of other states too, but they are not recognized by Maryland.

Join us in trying to change the law in Maryland. Here are some groups that lobby Annapolis to try to change things for the better. I have gone to testify at hearings on bills. Get active. The more people that show up, they more the politicains have to pay attention. They want to get re-elected. http://www.mcrkba.org/ http://www.marylandshallissue.org/ http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maryland_Alert/

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
2A,

Has the law changed. I haven't read this in a while but the wording now seems to say it is "shall" issue.

§ 5-306. Qualifications for permit.

(a) In general.- Subject to subsection (b) of this section, the Secretary shall issue a permit within a reasonable time to a person who the Secretary finds:

(1) is an adult;

(2) (i) has not been convicted of a felony or of a misdemeanor for which a sentence of imprisonment for more than 1 year has been imposed; or
(ii) if convicted of a crime described in item (i) of this item, has been pardoned or has been granted relief under 18 U.S.C. § 925(c);

(3) has not been convicted of a crime involving the possession, use, or distribution of a controlled dangerous substance;

(4) is not presently an alcoholic, addict, or habitual user of a controlled dangerous substance unless the habitual use of the controlled dangerous substance is under legitimate medical direction; and

(5) based on an investigation:

(i) has not exhibited a propensity for violence or instability that may reasonably render the person's possession of a handgun a danger to the person or to another; and
(ii) has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger.

(b) Applicant under age of 30 years.- An applicant under the age of 30 years is qualified only if the Secretary finds that the applicant has not been:

(1) committed to a detention, training, or correctional institution for juveniles for longer than 1 year after an adjudication of delinquency by a juvenile court; or

(2) adjudicated delinquent by a juvenile court for:

(i) an act that would be a crime of violence if committed by an adult;
(ii) an act that would be a felony in this State if committed by an adult; or
(iii) an act that would be a misdemeanor in this State that carries a statutory penalty of more than 2 years if committed by an adult.

calvertcrazy

I think it's kind of wishy-washy... After reading the laws, I thought that I needed to register the handgun that my father gave to me... Turns out the registration is voluntary. However, I don't think you will deem it voluntary if you simply read the law.

dustin

UAIOE
Ken King said:
2A,

Has the law changed. I haven't read this in a while but the wording now seems to say it is "shall" issue.

§ 5-306. Qualifications for permit.

What source have you now? Out with it!

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
dustin said:
What source have you now? Out with it!
WTF? The same one I have used for years. I think you or someone posted a link to it elsewhere. It's the LexisNexis site linked off of the General Assembly page. This was taken from the Public Safety Article of the code.

dustin

UAIOE
Ken King said:
WTF? The same one I have used for years. I think you or someone posted a link to it elsewhere. It's the LexisNexis site linked off of the General Assembly page. This was taken from the Public Safety Article of the code.
oh yeah i forgot i was a mindreader

Cletus_Vandam

Go to the site: www.packing.org

This is a very good for CCW information throughout the County. Aside from Hawaii, there isn't a tougher state to get a concealed carry permit.

A friend of mine has one. He got is because he has a FFL (Federal Firearms License) and it permits to buy and sell firearms. The process was surprisingly simple according to him. But my guess is that it all has to do with having the right reason for requesting one in the first place.

I'm betting that living in the State with one of the highest burglary, robbery and murder rates in the Country isn't one that's going to fly... There is a certain irony to having to ask permission from the agency responsible for keeping crime low that you need a handgun to protect yourself because the crime rate is too high. Yeah, that makes a lot of sense. The more permits that MSP gives out with crime rates as a valid reason only counters MSP saying they are doing such a great job policing.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Ken King said:
2A,

Has the law changed. I haven't read this in a while but the wording now seems to say it is "shall" issue.....
Every CCW permit has to be approved by the State Police in Maryland. They use the clause "ii) has good and substantial reason to wear, carry, or transport a handgun, such as a finding that the permit is necessary as a reasonable precaution against apprehended danger." to invalidate all requests unless you can prove that you carry large amounts of money for business regularly or that your life has been threatened.

I really wish it was "shall issue". It would be if your removed clause 5-ii, and all of section b. Maryland has tried to use overseas criminal convictions to invalidate applications even if the offense is not a crime in Maryland. :dork:

Cletus_Vandam

Ehrlich

I really would have thought that Ehrlich would have been a proponent on changing the gun laws here in Maryland, but he has really done nothing.

Considering the damage that Kennedy-Townsend would have done with her gun-grabbing ways, we are all better off with Ehrlich being in office. I just wish he would have been a bigger supporter of changing the current ultra-restrictive CCW laws here in Maryland.

I will vote for him again the next go 'round, but I honestly think he has a snowball's chance in he11 of winning.

Cletus_Vandam

calvertcrazy said:

Does your friend own his own business?, is he a doctor or lawyer?

I've never heard the self defense getting issue getting a lot support. Check out the site I mentioned in an earlier reply.

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Cletus_Vandam said:
I really would have thought that Ehrlich would have been a proponent on changing the gun laws here in Maryland, but he has really done nothing.

Considering the damage that Kennedy-Townsend would have done with her gun-grabbing ways, we are all better off with Ehrlich being in office. I just wish he would have been a bigger supporter of changing the current ultra-restrictive CCW laws here in Maryland.

I will vote for him again the next go 'round, but I honestly think he has a snowball's chance in he11 of winning.
He managed to get the local gun groups that supported him angry that he has done little or nothing, and he and his campaign have been told. Maybe he thought he could pull the typical politician crap of tell some lies before the election and then hope noone calls him on them. He has been called.