My View

Christy

b*tch rocket
Okay, trying to get more dots so I'm not a newbie anymore, since I've been around for quite some time!  Anyway.....

I'm glad this forum was established because there is nothing more I like to talk about than religion and politics!

I'm not a preacher.  Can't say that I'm really "born again" because I've yet to understand the term and concept except for running to the front of the church screaming "I've been saved".  I think it's more complex than that.  I do know for an absolute there is a God.  There is not a soul in the world that can tell me different.  I'm not saying that because that's how I was raised, I know that because I know.  That is the only way to explain it.  I did not seek God, he sought me out and beat me on the head until I believed.  For the longest time, every strange experience I ever had I chalked up to intuition an coincidence.  I still don't go to church.  I don't stand on the corners preaching "the word".  I do pray.  Simple as that, I pray.  Not a hard thing to do.  You do it alone, you need no witnesses, you need no priest to tell you if you are praying right.  You just do it.

I've lived six years of my life with a devout atheist (raised Catholic).  He now believes.  I didn't sit up and make him read scripture, drag him to church, etc....

He always asked me how the hell can I deal with all the crap that is doled out on a daily basis.  I just prayed.  I really did.  It's that simple.  It does work.  Just ask my devout atheist.  It may have taken 6 years, but he tried it and it works.  Anyway, now that you all think I'm a kook, say a little prayer for me!

Frank

Chairman of the Board
"I say a little prayer for you....."
(apologies to Dionne Warwick)

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I don't think you're a kook, Christy.  Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I don't respect someone who does.  See, that's one of the things I think is most important - that you're faithful to your beliefs and to your God, however you choose to define that.

I tend to have an "I'm okay, you're okay" philosophy about religion - the only thing I despise is hypocrisy and when strangers knock on my door trying to convert me to their religion (see my quote below).  They say things like "If you were to die tomorrow, are you CERTAIN you would go to heaven?"  Well, I don't believe in heaven or hell so that's kind of a pointless question to ask someone like me.  I believe that when you die, you're dead and that's it.  That's why it's so important to make good with the time you have - if you waste it, it's gone forever and there's no getting it back.

I think the most important thing about belief in God is that, if you do it right, it will bring you serenity and peace in your life.  Not in a "pass the buck" kind of way, but it's supposed to help you accept the mysteries of life and find strength in times of despair.

I, too, am fascinated with religion and politics and don't consider them taboo subjects in polite conversation - as long as everyone is civil, what's the big deal?

Frank

Chairman of the Board
"I, too, am fascinated with religion and politics and don't consider them taboo subjects in polite conversation - as long as everyone is civil, what's the big deal?"

The key word is 'civil' - if you're not sure how everyone will react, I think it's a good idea to talk about something else. I play cards at lunch with a bunch of people, and all but one are liberal, three of them very much so. If you even *breathe* a word about international events - and it could be something as innocuous as the hoof and mouth disease problem, or the failing Euro - and three of them will be off to the races about how bad a president Bush has been, even though it has nothing to do with it. At my home, you start talking religion, there'll be shouting before long. Every once in a while, a stranger will come into one of these circles and start up one of these subjects, and I'll quickly deflect the situation and give my best "please don't" glare at the offending party.

PmoneyandTT

Great to hear Christy.

When you know who you are, you don'thave to struggle to live up to what someone else thinks you're supposed to be.  That was Jesus' attitude when he met the woman at the well.  As she approached, with her waterpot on her shoulder, she was all upset and worried.  Jesus went straight to the heart of her problem; "Whoever drinks of this water will thirst again, but whoever drinks of the water that I shall give him will never thirst" (John 4:13-14) Jesus went on to tell her all about herself and her five husbands - things that only God could know.  Like this women, you may be wounded and upset.  This kind of hurt can't be healed through human effort.  You must get in the presence of God and let Him fill the voids in your life.  Follow God's advice in Deuteronomy 4:29-31 and "Seek the Lord your God". You will not settle it by going from friend to friend.  This women had already tried that.  She had gone through five men.  The answer is not getting another man.  It's getting in touch with The Man- Jesus the Lord.
After she met Jesus, the woman at the well didn't even go back home.  She threw down her waterpot and ran into the city to tell everyone to come and see the Man who had told her about her life.  This woman could never had rid herself of the old man until she met the new Man.  When you meet the new, you find the power to say good-bye to the old.  You will never be able to break the grip of those former ways on your life until you know Jesus Christ.  You must come to Him just as you are.  If something has attached itself to you that is not of God, you won't be able to break it in your own strength.  "Submit to God.  Resist the devil and he will flee from you." (James 4:7) Knowing Him will give you the power to break away from the old self and the ties that hold you prisoner to your past.
Jesus satifies. Everyone else may pacify, but He satisifies. Seek His presence.  He meets every need and every yearning.  He heals every pain and every affliction.  He lifts every burden and every trouble in your life.  He's The Man.

inkah

I have to admit, I was sure I was going to find hotcoffee as the author of the very first poster on this forum.