Bike Tunes

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Just saw a clever solution to eliminating dangling wires if you want to listen to tunes on your bike and don't have a bagger with a built in stereo. Oakley sunglasses make the Thump 2 shades with a built in (up to) 1 gig mp3 player.
Comparable price for a 1 g. player, especially when you throw in a pair of the overpriced Oakley shades.

LooseTooth

open loop stable
This would work out fine as long as they fit inside you helmet well.

I have to say that I have never listened to music while riding. I think it might cut into my concentration.

Hmmm, maybe for interstate riding, but can't see it for around town or in the twisties. Maybe I just need to relax and try it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
LooseTooth said:
This would work out fine as long as they fit inside you helmet well.

I have to say that I have never listened to music while riding. I think it might cut into my concentration.

Hmmm, maybe for interstate riding, but can't see it for around town or in the twisties. Maybe I just need to relax and try it.
I think Autocomm is going to come out with Wireless Intercom this year, no more dangly wires out of the helmet..

And like LT said, those glassed maybe wireless, but they got this big LUMP of plastic right in front of your ear, anything more then 1/2 helmet, your helmet will be pushing that into the side of your head.

I've got XM pumped into helmet speakers, love it, and if I want peace and quiet, I just hit the off button. Have the ability to hook up an intercom for a passenger, and bike to bike comms with a Motarola (sp?) or other FRS radio. Has VOX for the intercom, and when a call comes in, either cell, intercom, or bike to bike, it turns off the music.

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
I think Autocomm is going to come out with Wireless Intercom this year, no more dangly wires out of the helmet..

And like LT said, those glassed maybe wireless, but they got this big LUMP of plastic right in front of your ear, anything more then 1/2 helmet, your helmet will be pushing that into the side of your head.

I've got XM pumped into helmet speakers, love it, and if I want peace and quiet, I just hit the off button. Have the ability to hook up an intercom for a passenger, and bike to bike comms with a Motarola (sp?) or other FRS radio. Has VOX for the intercom, and when a call comes in, either cell, intercom, or bike to bike, it turns off the music.
I don't need an intercom. I just ride up next to the other bike and say "I'm hungry" or "need gas" or "do these chaps make my ass look big" :shrug:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
"do these chaps make my ass look big" :shrug:
It ain't the chaps :lol:

Since I'm FO for the local SCRC chapter, not having comms is becoming a problem. If you've got a string of 15 bikes and one breaks, it's nice if the sweep rider can just talk and let you know to pull the group over.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:

Since I'm FO for the local SCRC chapter, not having comms is becoming a problem. If you've got a string of 15 bikes and one breaks, it's nice if the sweep rider can just talk and let you know to pull the group over.
Exactly... even if it's just two of you, and the trail bike misses a turn, or breaks down.. FRS has a range of up to 12 miles now.

APS.. if you are looking, Autocomm systems are 1/2 price while they last. You can get portable systems that you can just carry on your belt or in a pocket.. or get the 12V power supply and do a permanent install on the bike. Mines underneath my seat, and right now runs on a 9V battery. They all come with one or two sets of headphones and microphones. (Caberg is not the best helmet for internal speakers the pockets are in the wong place, but it does work) If you call up Mortons and tell them what you want it for they can tell you whcich system and which accessories you'll need. Right now you can get the speakers, microphone, junction/ comm box for the price of a set of J&M speakers at Motovation

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:

Effing Oldguy? :confused:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
itsbob said:
APS.. if you are looking, Autocomm systems are 1/2 price while they last. You can get portable systems that you can just carry on your belt or in a pocket.. or get the 12V power supply and do a permanent install on the bike. Mines underneath my seat, and right now runs on a 9V battery. They all come with one or two sets of headphones and microphones. (Caberg is not the best helmet for internal speakers the pockets are in the wong place, but it does work) If you call up Mortons and tell them what you want it for they can tell you whcich system and which accessories you'll need. Right now you can get the speakers, microphone, junction/ comm box for the price of a set of J&M speakers at Motovation
Most of the folks with comms in SCRC all have CB radios. If I got the FRS I'd still be out of the loop. Dan at Motovation does a good job of installing speakers in the correct position in the Cabergs. I think I'll hold off till I get the V Strom. Hope that on in FL is still there first of next year. It's still on BikeTrader. Can't get down there till then.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
So when you get ready to pull out the main dude looks at you and says "Make it so number 1." ?
I be the main dude. :yikes:
We're doing a Polar bear ride on Jan 1. Leaving Motovation @ 10:00 for a resturant in Annapolis where we'll meet up with some other chapters. Feel free to join us.

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:
I be the main dude. :yikes:
We're doing a Polar bear ride on Jan 1. Leaving Motovation @ 10:00 for a resturant in Annapolis where we'll meet up with some other chapters. Feel free to join us.
I am not sure I will be around. I rode Saturday for about 4 hours. It was chilly but good.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
I am not sure I will be around. I rode Saturday for about 4 hours. It was chilly but good.
I rode up to our breakfast meeting at St. Mary's landing, about 60 miles total for the day. Hands were cold but other than that I was quite comfy. Gonna hit WalMart for some of those chemical hand warmers before the ride.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Was looking to see if the CB/FRS/GMRS had compatible frequencies and found this..

CB communications occur on frequencies in the 11-meter High Frequency(HF) band. HF frequency communications are affected by the ionosphere, which is in turn affected by solar radiation. Right now we are at the peak of an 11-year sunspot cycle, which has rendered the CB Radio Service useless for handheld operations at the current time, due to massive ionospheric interference. At the present time, mobile and base stations with good antennas will have more luck communicating. In fact they may be able to communicate at extremely long distances, due to the ability to bounce signals off the ionosphere(skip waves). This feature is really not a desirable, as it leads to ionospheric interference, and is one of the reasons why the CB Radio Service may not be a good choice for those looking for reliable short range communications, and it is one of the reasons why the FCC created the FRS as an alternative to CB

Just thought it an interesting fact.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Pete said:
Do you guys have a really cool secret hand shake or something?
No, but when your Harley breaks down, we'll point and laugh

Attachments

• 27Theydontmakeemliketheyusedto.jpg
    27Theydontmakeemliketheyusedto.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
The one in the picture is a 70? something iron head sporster he cobbled together out of various parts. We're taping off the tail light wires after the nuts holding it on backed off... for the second time that day. :lol: Then it started mis-firing, wouldn't go over 50 mph :ohwell:
The newer ones do seem to hold up better.

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:
The one in the picture is a 70? something iron head sporster he cobbled together out of various parts. We're taping off the tail light wires after the nuts holding it on backed off... for the second time that day. :lol: Then it started mis-firing, wouldn't go over 50 mph :ohwell:
The newer ones do seem to hold up better.
I think so, that one looked pretty old and tired