Home water softener installation...

cattitude said:
I thought my s-i-l installed theirs. I'm wishing more and more that we had one.
I'm definately getting one. I just am not sure what to go with... salt or filtered or magnetic or...:banghead:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
We had a Rainsoft whole-house system installed at our house in Tucson (it's almost a requirement out there cuz the water quality sucks so bad) and we loved it. :yay: :yay:

Pete

Repete
I have an iron filter that uses potassium parmaganate, or something like that. I can only find the stuff at Sears in Waldorf or online. I ordered it online and ran out a few months ago and keep forgetting to order more.

It is kinda messy, purple crystals that stain whatever it touches. you have to dillute it in a gallon of water, then siphon off a gallon, pour it in a little hole that even with a funnel it gets all over, let it sit for a hour, then let it recharge, then purge it for a long time until the purple goes away. If you don't get it all the way purged the water in the lines will get a purple tinge and you have to run the water for a long time at each faucet.

I am not that familiar with any of the other models but if they are less maintenance intensive I would.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
We don't know anything about the one we have, but the compnay that installed it before we moved here has done warranty work on it, and their service was excellent. Ours uses salt that we get at Lowes for like $4.00 a bag. We put three bags in there about 4 months ago, and just now need to put more in. That is all we have to do, dupmp the salt pellets in the holding tank every few months.

It's a Culligan System and we have NO complaints, and the water tastes EXCELLENT.

itsbob said:
We don't know anything about the one we have, but the compnay that installed it before we moved here has done warranty work on it, and their service was excellent. Ours uses salt that we get at Lowes for like $4.00 a bag. We put three bags in there about 4 months ago, and just now need to put more in. That is all we have to do, dupmp the salt pellets in the holding tank every few months.

It's a Culligan System and we have NO complaints, and the water tastes EXCELLENT.
Pete's system sounds like too much work. I wanna know what company installed your system...:tap:

We had our water tested at Sears a few weeks back... PH is fine... no iron, but we are at the top of the ratings in calium and magnesium...:dead:

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
kwillia said:
Pete's system sounds like too much work. I wanna know what company installed your system...:tap:

We had our water tested at Sears a few weeks back... PH is fine... no iron, but we are at the top of the ratings in calium and magnesium...:dead:
The company that installed my system is out of Edgewater/Annapolis - Culligan, 3119 Solomons Island Road, Edgewater, MD. 1-800-492-9189. The unit was installed by the former owners of my house about three months before I bought the place. A few months after settlement, the unit was making a weird noise, and I didn't know what to do about it. I phoned Culligan and within a day or two they were out to re-set the poower supply (the power went out for a few hours which had caused the unit to go down temporarily). The service call was covered under warranty, so I didn't have to pay a cent.

The salt pellets are easy to get at Lowe's at a reasonable cost (probably about $5 per bag), and usually five bags is enough to top off the storage tank. I last filled up the tank in early spring, so the tablets last a fair amount of time. [This reminds me that I need to check the salt levels now]. A larger family using more water would naturally go through more salt tablets than I've used in this past year.

Good luck! :yay:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
itsbob said:

That sounds like the exact same system we had, and Bob & BG are right -- it's very easy to maintain. Just dump in the salt pellets every couple months and you're good to go. I'd have both Culligan and Rainsoft come out and price compare between the two. I'm sure, though, that Lowes has a similiar system you might be able to get for less, and have it installed. :yay:

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
crabcake said:
That sounds like the exact same system we had, and Bob & BG are right -- it's very easy to maintain. Just dump in the salt pellets every couple months and you're good to go. I'd have both Culligan and Rainsoft come out and price compare between the two. I'm sure, though, that Lowes has a similiar system you might be able to get for less, and have it installed. :yay:
My water still gets hard everytime it thinks of you.:shrug: