Authors

smiley_bookworm

Does anyone out their know of any new 'upcoming' Fantasy Authors? I'm getting bored with my current ones and I'd like some new works to read. Currently I've read novels by the following authors:
- Terry Brooks (I've read all of his works)
- Terry Goodkind (i'm going through his Sword of Truth Series again)
- Elizabeth Haydon (read them all and waiting on the next one)
- LoTR by J.R.R. Tolkien (Loved it)
- Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Haven't picked this one up yet - got it for Xmas)

Can anyone recommend any new authors? I've tried reading George R.R. Martin's work but i'm afraid he bores me. Anything would be helpful. Thanks!
:wink:

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
smiley_bookworm said:
Does anyone out their know of any new 'upcoming' Fantasy Authors? I'm getting bored with my current ones and I'd like some new works to read. Currently I've read novels by the following authors:
- Terry Brooks (I've read all of his works)
- Terry Goodkind (i'm going through his Sword of Truth Series again)
- Elizabeth Haydon (read them all and waiting on the next one)
- LoTR by J.R.R. Tolkien (Loved it)
- Narnia by C.S. Lewis (Haven't picked this one up yet - got it for Xmas)

Can anyone recommend any new authors? I've tried reading George R.R. Martin's work but i'm afraid he bores me. Anything would be helpful. Thanks!
:wink:

did you get "Lion, The Witch, the Warddrobe", OR the "Chronicles of Narnia" series? there are 8(?) books to the series i believe (its been awhile since i read them)

Get "The Hobbit" also by Tolkien, prequel to LoTR. Also theres "The Silmarillion" which tells some of the backstory to the LoTR and The Hobbit

Harry TurtleDove - a good alternative History author, has a couple of Series, they do get kinda boilerplate after awhile

Brian Lumley - has a good Vampire/Necroscope series, kinda fantasy (about half the series takes place on a alternate planet). more of a horror fantasy though (it is vampires)

Stephen King - Dark Tower series, 7 books (Gunslinger, Drawing of the 3, Wastelands, Wizards & Glass, Wolves of the Calla, Song of Susanna, DarkTower). think its taken him about 30 years to complete it, if you've read any of his other books, its kinda fun to see some of the characters and/or references in this series

Herbert - Dune Series (the first few books are pretty good, the last few get kinda long and preachy)

Herberts Son - has two different Dune Prequels. a 3 book prequel that takes place just before the Dune series, and a 4 book Prequel that takes place WAAAY back before the Dune Series (tells how the different families came about and got started)

smiley_bookworm

SAHRAB said:
did you get "Lion, The Witch, the Warddrobe", OR the "Chronicles of Narnia" series? there are 8(?) books to the series i believe (its been awhile since i read them)

Yes I got the Chronicles of Narnia.
I've read the Simillarion, I couldn't get into it - it wasn't as appealing to me as LOtR. I've read some of Stevie Kings works, they are good. I'll probably pick up those couple of books you recommended. As for vampire books, I'm pretty much burnt out on them due to the fact Laurell K. Hamilton's series is going Rapidly Downhill. You see i'm looking for the fact that Fantasy is still in the storyline it's just that I want a fresh set of chracters. Maybe not so as all of them being 'goody goody', instead i'd like a set of bad @$$ characters. Hardcore bad. Like If you don't do this I WILL keep my promise and kill you or ruin your life bad. Anyone know of an author like that?

SAHRAB

This is fun right?
smiley_bookworm said:
Yes I got the Chronicles of Narnia.
I've read the Simillarion, I couldn't get into it - it wasn't as appealing to me as LOtR. I've read some of Stevie Kings works, they are good. I'll probably pick up those couple of books you recommended. As for vampire books, I'm pretty much burnt out on them due to the fact Laurell K. Hamilton's series is going Rapidly Downhill. You see i'm looking for the fact that Fantasy is still in the storyline it's just that I want a fresh set of chracters. Maybe not so as all of them being 'goody goody', instead i'd like a set of bad @$$ characters. Hardcore bad. Like If you don't do this I WILL keep my promise and kill you or ruin your life bad. Anyone know of an author like that?

Thats exactly how Lumleys Necroscope series plays out. Vampires (their called Wamphyrs in the series) arent the main focus, the fact that he's a necroscope is.

barncat

Have you tried the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I stopped reading at book 8 or 9, the repetition was killing me and I started reading a new series.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
barncat said:
Have you tried the Wheel of Time series by Robert Jordan? I stopped reading at book 8 or 9, the repetition was killing me and I started reading a new series.
Did he ever finish that series? It's been awhile since I read the last one.

I've been enjoying the books I received as gifts - all horror by John Saul. Midnight Voices, Black Creek Crossing, and The Right Hand of Evil. I'm in the middle of the last one now.

meangirl

Nice lady!
bresamil said:

I've been enjoying the books I received as gifts - all horror by John Saul. Midnight Voices, Black Creek Crossing, and The Right Hand of Evil. I'm in the middle of the last one now.
I love John Saul. His earlier works are even better, check them out if you get a chance.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
meangirl said:
I love John Saul. His earlier works are even better, check them out if you get a chance.

I had read them all up to about 2003- have most in hardback. Haven't had much time for pleasure reading in the last 2 years, so I'm catching up with his most recent works. Dean R Koontz is also a favorite.

meangirl

Nice lady!
bresamil said:
I had read them all up to about 2003- have most in hardback. Haven't had much time for pleasure reading in the last 2 years, so I'm catching up with his most recent works. Dean R Koontz is also a favorite.
Dean Koontz is also a favorite of mine! I am loving his Frankenstein series...can't wait for book 3!

Toxick

Splat
bresamil said:

No it's not done yet, Book 11 (Knife of Dreams) came out in October.

BUT: Jordan has gone on record as saying that Book 12 is the FINAL book, even if it has to be 2000 pages to do it.

I was such a big fan of Wheel of Time, until I realized that books 7-10 could have, and should have, been condensed into a single book.

In all fairness, however, I have a feeling that if I had read the entire series at once it would have been better... I started reading after book 5 came out, and I consumed the entire epic from 1 through 6 in one go-round and I savored every page. Then I had to wait 2-3 years between the subsequent books - and frankly, they weren't worth the wait.

On the other hand, I have heard that Knife of Dreams was quite worth the wait. I haven't had a chance to get it yet - with the move, and the new job, and the chaos that is currently my life - but I'm looking forward to this one.

smiley_bookworm

barncat said:

I have read his series, I got up to Lord of Chaos and from there I couldn't handle it anymore. I stopped and I've given up on the series. He has sooooo much going on in one book it's hard to remember who everyone is, what they are doing, etc.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
Toxick said:
No it's not done yet, Book 11 (Knife of Dreams) came out in October.

BUT: Jordan has gone on record as saying that Book 12 is the FINAL book, even if it has to be 2000 pages to do it.

I was such a big fan of Wheel of Time, until I realized that books 7-10 could have, and should have, been condensed into a single book.

In all fairness, however, I have a feeling that if I had read the entire series at once it would have been better... I started reading after book 5 came out, and I consumed the entire epic from 1 through 6 in one go-round and I savored every page. Then I had to wait 2-3 years between the subsequent books - and frankly, they weren't worth the wait.

On the other hand, I have heard that Knife of Dreams was quite worth the wait. I haven't had a chance to get it yet - with the move, and the new job, and the chaos that is currently my life - but I'm looking forward to this one.
I can't remember where I left off. If I just jump into 11 will I be confused?

I just finished my last book and if I don't get something to read today I'll go nuts.