suspended raider??

E

ez_one20690

Does anyone know the reason the center for the Raiders got suspended for the game?? One of my co-workers said he heard on the radio why, but I am not sure that would be accurate...

JabbaJawz

Be about it
I don't know details, only what I heard before the game. Basically he didn't show up for some pre-game meeting the night before, and the coach decided that if the guy thought he was more important than the other players and didn't need to show up that night, that he didn't need show up for the game either.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
I had heard that he was partying too hard to be able to play. Maybe he was afraid he might have to provide a urine sample, the results of could have removed him from the game forever. He'll probably play for the Dallas Convicts (I mean Cowboys) next year.

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
My guess is that he was partying on Saturday and blew the team stuff. Then, when he found out he wasn't playing in the biggest game of his life, he (or someone) checked him in to the psychiatric ward at a hospital on suicide watch.

After the game, the Raiders coach indicated that he was no longer a member of the team. It'll be interesting to hear the truth.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Raider no-show...

Originally posted by Ken King
I had heard that he was partying too hard to be able to play. Maybe he was afraid he might have to provide a urine sample, the results of could have removed him from the game forever. He'll probably play for the Dallas Convicts (I mean Cowboys) next year.
:smile: I did not hear about the possiblity of partying too hard the night before, but a reporter Sal Palatino(?) on ESPN interviewed hospital officials where the guy is being held for observation, and they said drugs did not show up in exams they administered to him. His wife was also apparently quoted as saying he has a history of depression. Wow! The Saturday before Super Bowl you enter a serious state of depression? That's unusual, you'd think.

:cool: penn

RangerJohn

I'd heard that the Raider in question had toured the bars of Tijuana and cried "Uno Mas Tequila por favor!" just a few too many times. Of course the tequila being sold on Avenida Revolucion' bears an uncanny resemblance to auto coolant, and the local motto is "Let the gringo beware."

Post-game quotes from Raider players indicate that substance abuse was the reason for the no show. Some of the choicer comments from the Raiders (courtesy of the San Diego Union Tribune):

"All year, we tried to bond so that we'd be untouchable," left guard Frank Middleton said. "We wanted to be a family when crunch time came, and one of the family members didn't come through for us. We broke bread together. We did things together with our families. We went to the movies together. And he let us down.

"Once you cross me, you cross me . . . It'll be hard to put that under the bridge."

Will Middleton call him?

"If my wife goes and sleeps with another man, I'm not going to call her," Middleton said. "It's over."

The Raiders announced yesterday morning that the 6-foot-3, 320-pound Robbins had been "sent home" for unspecified reasons and that Adam Treu would start in his place. Citing sources, The Associated Press and ESPN reported that Robbins had been hospitalized in San Diego. But representatives of area hospitals said no one by that name had been admitted.

To a man, the Raiders were less complimentary about the man Treu replaced.

Gannon: "All I'm going to say is, it's unfortunate what happened."

Right tackle Lincoln Kennedy: "It's the Super Bowl. I don't need to say anything else. If you can't get excited about that, why are you here?"

Cornerback Charles Woodson: "It's the biggest game on Earth. He's got to be responsible for his actions. He's got to be the one who hurts the most."

Middleton: "He made a decision. He has to live with that decision now."

Someone asked Collins if he would reconcile and one day accept Robbins back as a "brother in arms."

He shook his head.

"No, not as a brother in arms," Collins said. "I might welcome him back as a business partner, but a brother doesn't leave you hanging like that."

Oakland Raiders offensive lineman Mo Collins to teammate Barret Robbins:

"From whatever (bleeping) rock he came up from yesterday, he needs to stay there as far as I'm concerned."

----
This is a strange change from a team that allowed John Matuszak to roam Bourbon Street till Dawn the Saturday Night before Super Bowl 14 when the Raiders man-handled the Eagles. Of course, this guy likely couldn't "Cruize with the Tooz" even now....with the Tooz six feet under pushing up daisies.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Really amazing....

Originally posted by RangerJohn
I'd heard that the Raider in question had toured the bars of Tijuana and cried "Uno Mas Tequila por favor!" just a few too many times. Of course the tequila being sold on Avenida Revolucion' bears an uncanny resemblance to auto coolant, and the local motto is "Let the gringo beware."
----
This is a strange change from a team that allowed John Matuszak to roam Bourbon Street till Dawn the Saturday Night before Super Bowl 14 when the Raiders man-handled the Eagles. Of course, this guy likely couldn't "Cruize with the Tooz" even now....with the Tooz six feet under pushing up daisies.
:razz2: Geez, that's different than what ESPN reported earlier, but heck, it's a possiblity, I suppose. They're all over the place on this one.
While the report on ESPN said no drugs were found during examinations, they didn't say anything about alcohol. Do you suppose he could have ate the worm?
penn:cheers:

RangerJohn

More choice quotes.....and according to team mate Mo Collins.....

"The Raiders wouldn’t say where Robbins went on Saturday or why, although offensive tackle Mo Collins angrily said, “Too much bad tequila,” according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
Collins didn’t end there.
“Whatever (expletive) rock he came up from, he can stay there as far as I’m concerned,” he said.
Regardless, the first-time Pro Bowl selection wasn’t around to battle the Buccaneers’ punishing defense at the culmination of his most successful season.
Many of the Raiders apparently didn’t know the reason for Robbins’ absence from their Saturday activities. Several other players declined comment, while coach Bill Callahan wouldn’t discuss specifics.
“If somebody chooses to do something wrong, nobody can tell them what to do,” guard Frank Middleton said. “We have to go with the guys who want to be here. ... My concern is not B-Robb. He’s safe, and he paid the price for what he did. I haven’t talked to him, and I don’t know if I’m going to talk to him.”
Middleton later let his emotions show, the Chronicle reported.
‘Whatever rock he came up from, he can stay there as far as I’m concerned.’
— RAIDERS OFFENSIVE TACKLE MO COLLINS
On teammate Barett Robbins, who was absent from the game “I probably won’t be back here next year, a lot of us won’t,” Middleton said of a team that is expected to be perhaps $45 million over next year’s salary cap. “But I’ll tell you this — if Barret Robbins comes back, I won’t. You can print that.
“I want to play with people I can rely on. I don’t want to go into next year worrying about some cat making it to the game.”

---------

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Musings......

Originally posted by RangerJohn
More choice quotes.....and according to team mate Mo Collins.....

"The Raiders wouldn’t say where Robbins went on Saturday or why, although offensive tackle Mo Collins angrily said, “Too much bad tequila,” according to the San Francisco Chronicle.
Collins didn’t end there.
“Whatever (expletive) rock he came up from, he can stay there as far as I’m concerned,” he said.
On teammate Barett Robbins, who was absent from the game “I probably won’t be back here next year, a lot of us won’t,” Middleton said of a team that is expected to be perhaps $45 million over next year’s salary cap. “But I’ll tell you this — if Barret Robbins comes back, I won’t. You can print that.
“I want to play with people I can rely on. I don’t want to go into next year worrying about some cat making it to the game.”

---------
I don't know if anybody else here has had thoughts about it the way I'm going to, but football is a lot like war. Some will say BS, it's a game!
But if you watch the "game" long enough, you get the sense from the violence out there, the emotions displayed, etc., it's more than that. These guys "go to war" every Sunday, and of course, other days too; the point is they grow to depend on each other, not that their lives depend on it, but something close to it.
When a teammate is a no-show, there's a hell of a letdown from somebody you trusted, fought on the line with, bled with, shared the pain with, and won or lost with. I think that is where these fellow teammates are coming from in their remarks. JMHO
:cool: penn

G

giggles04

Originally posted by ez_one20690
Does anyone know the reason the center for the Raiders got suspended for the game?? One of my co-workers said he heard on the radio why, but I am not sure that would be accurate...

But ya know.. I don't think having him in the game would have made it any better for them!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: Another mental a$$ who stopped taking his medication.

Originally posted by bluto
not the lamer's bus
:rolleyes: That boy seriously needs to be watched. What in hell would make him want to stop taking his anti-depressant medication? Makes no sense. I would hope no team in football would take a chance on him playing for them. Suicidal?!! He needs a lot of help from competent doctors to get him through this.
Man, that is sad.

:frown: penn

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
very sad

You don't necessarily qualify as mental or an unproductive member of society because you are on antidepressants. People that truly have some sort of depression or anxiety disorder feel better when they take their medication and a frequent side effect of that feeling better is to quit taking the medication because you feel you can cope.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Re: very sad

Originally posted by cattitude
You don't necessarily qualify as mental or an unproductive member of society because you are on antidepressants. People that truly have some sort of depression or anxiety disorder feel better when they take their medication and a frequent side effect of that feeling better is to quit taking the medication because you feel you can cope.
:frown: I hear what you're saying, Cattitude. The question is do you think he's learned a lesson how dangerous discontinuing the medication can be? Going suicidal should have been one he!! wake-up call. The report noted he drank several rounds of Tequila
and whatever else; I would think there'd be a lasting impression
not to do that again.
penn

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Unfortunately, he's ill. It can take people a very long time to recover or even seek help. Part of the problem is the stigma that's attached to people with depression, etc.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Originally posted by bluto
Not just depression, bipolar. Maybe if lawyers quit trying to save their clients hide by using bipolar disorder as a defense it wouldn't be stigmatized.:crazy:

I agree totally. Kinda like the ADHD kid excuse...but certainly do NOT want to start a huge debate on that subject.