BYO Helmet?

marianne

We'll be renting a Road King for a day. The Harley place said they provide helmets. Friends of ours are bringing their own helmets. I'd rather not have to pack/bring my helmet on a plane if they provide decent helmets there. Can anyone recommend whether it's worth the hassle to bring your own helmet when renting?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
I'd call and ask what brand/type of helmets they provide. Look that brand up on the web and figure out what size you'll need and make sure they have your size in stock. Otherwise I'd get a helmet bag and take my own as carry on.
Nothing can ruin a nice ride more than a ill fitting helmet.

Lugnut

I'm Rick James #####!
aps45819 said:
I'd call and ask what brand/type of helmets they provide. Look that brand up on the web and figure out what size you'll need and make sure they have your size in stock. Otherwise I'd get a helmet bag and take my own as carry on.
Nothing can ruin a nice ride more than a ill fitting helmet.

Cept maybe a loaner helmet that smells like uh... Well I'm sure you get the idea. :)

I would recommend bringing your own helmet. :lmao:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
Lugnut said:
Cept maybe a loaner helmet that smells like uh... Well I'm sure you get the idea. :)
They probably spray them with that stuff they use on bowling alley shoes.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
marianne said:
We'll be renting a Road King for a day. The Harley place said they provide helmets. Friends of ours are bringing their own helmets. I'd rather not have to pack/bring my helmet on a plane if they provide decent helmets there. Can anyone recommend whether it's worth the hassle to bring your own helmet when renting?
How many riders do you know with nappy heads?? Greasy infested rat's nest for hair?? You want to put your head in there after theirs? Bowling shoes gross meo ut enough.. sharing a helmet?? YECH!!

Oz

You're all F'in Mad...
aps45819 said:
They probably spray them with that stuff they use on bowling alley shoes.

You'd take a bike ride with your helmet smelling like bowling alley shoes? :confused:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
marianne said:
We'll be renting a Road King for a day.
OOOOH. almost missed this..

GREAT choice.. understand this a perfect bike for a woman to ride.

Sorry Pete, couldn't resist!!

dustin

UAIOE
marianne said:
If you have a large enough baggage you may be able to put your helmets in it and stuff clothes around it like padding, then check it, if you don't want to carry it on.

But I would recommend carry on.

slotted

itsbob said:
How many riders do you know with nappy heads?? Greasy infested rat's nest for hair?? You want to put your head in there after theirs? Bowling shoes gross meo ut enough.. sharing a helmet?? YECH!!
:howdy:

marianne

itsbob said:
OOOOH. almost missed this..

GREAT choice.. understand this a perfect bike for a woman to ride.

Sorry Pete, couldn't resist!!

I wish. I'm still the backwarmer until I get into a BRC. Yesterday I tried registering for the spring BRC at College Southern Maryland and was told they won't start accepting registration for those courses until Feb 1. :tap:

Ponytail

marianne said:

The dealership will provide a brand new helmet, simple black. If you scratch it, drop it, damage it in anyway...stone chip while riding... you bought it.

I know this from recent experience. However, each dealership is probably different. Call them and ask them the specifics for their rental helmets.

Enjoy the ride. Don't let the damage of the helmet thing scare you, just be extra careful with it, and you'll be fine. When we rent bikes we always use the stealerships helmets. In two years of doing this, we've only had to purchase two helmets. One was dropped, the other was drop kicked. :lol: