I Just don't understand the Seven Deadlies

K

Kain99

The Seven Deadly Sins- Am I just a sinful person or do these just not make sense. :biggrin:

Greed - Does playing Powerball count?

Lust - Does this apply in marriage, movie stars?

Envy - I'm going to He!! No need for further explanation.

Wrath - This one is almost uncontrollable. (Right?)

Sloth - Where's the line? Is sleeping till 11:00 on the list?

Gluttony - Agree

Pride - If they mean being a stuck up snot nosed brat then I get it. Otherwise I don't see what's so wrong with being proud.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
If I could even remember a little bit of the :bs: run-down we got on these over the weekend you'd die. They had real-life examples for each of them in general, and then examples for each in a sexual sense. INSANITY!!

By the way, I'll see you in hell for being envious also, lol!

I don't think envy is always in a bad way, either, but who am I to say, lol?!

J

justhangn

I believe it has more to do with people pining their lives away doing these types of things.

It's impossible to be a productive person if you are constantly trying to achieve things out of reach without working toward them.

jmho

K

Kain99

No but I think it's possible to be lustful and productive. I also think you can be envious and productive. Lastly I think you can be greedy win the Power Ball game and be more productive than you ever dreamed! :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Kain99
No but I think it's possible to be lustful and productive. I also think you can be envious and productive. Lastly I think you can be greedy win the Power Ball game and be more productive than you ever dreamed! :biggrin:

:clap: Good answer!!

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by Kain99
No but I think it's possible to be lustful and productive. :biggrin:
If you're going for the standard church answers, try contrasting these ideas to all of those "deadies":

Humility vs pride
Piety vs disrespect
Righteousness vs immorality

:smile: penn

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Probably because almost anything most of us collectively understand to be wrong - murder, theft, violence, cruelty, cheating, and so on - they all begin their life in the mind of the person who does it. They begin with things like jealousy or envy. People commit murder or do violent things, because at some point in the past, they were greedy, or wrathful, or too proud.

You know, you watch a courtroom drama, and one of the critical elements is motive - someone commits a murder for a reason. They wanted money (greed), or hated someone (wrath), or they wanted to protect something about themselves, like a disturbing secret (pride). People do things for a reason. Those "reasons" are rarely altruistic - they're usually something like the seven deadlies, although those seven don't cover everything.

My gut reaction is that avoiding them is possible, and that myself and most of the human race really don't make much of an effort to be virtuous - we just hope that the behavior we already exhibit is good enough.

Christy

b*tch rocket
Originally posted by Frank
Probably because almost anything most of us collectively understand to be wrong - murder, theft, violence, cruelty, cheating, and so on - they all begin their life in the mind of the person who does it. They begin with things like jealousy or envy. People commit murder or do violent things, because at some point in the past, they were greedy, or wrathful, or too proud.

You know, you watch a courtroom drama, and one of the critical elements is motive - someone commits a murder for a reason. They wanted money (greed), or hated someone (wrath), or they wanted to protect something about themselves, like a disturbing secret (pride). People do things for a reason. Those "reasons" are rarely altruistic - they're usually something like the seven deadlies, although those seven don't cover everything.

My gut reaction is that avoiding them is possible, and that myself and most of the human race really don't make much of an effort to be virtuous - we just hope that the behavior we already exhibit is good enough.

BINGO Frank! :yay: Great post! :thewave: