Sandals?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I've been to Jamaica, and driven by the Sandal's Resort in Montego Bay. It was being "protected" by armed guards carrying serious looking guns. :lol:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
So other than the beach........is there anything I MUST see??
We went horseback riding through the hills and into the ocean. It was a lot of fun, and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Some others from our cruise rode to Ocho Rios and did the Dunns River Falls tour. Some people say that's cool, others say it's not worth it. I wasn't really a big fan of Jamaica as a whole, and probably won't go back (unless I'm staying in an all inclusive and don't need to go out into real Jamaica). :lmao:

Dougstermd

ORGASM DONOR
mv_princess said:
So other than the beach........is there anything I MUST see??

I have been to couples Ocho Rios twice lots of fun. Sandals will take you to all the tourists spots.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Nickel said:
We went horseback riding through the hills and into the ocean. It was a lot of fun, and I wouldn't mind doing it again. Some others from our cruise rode to Ocho Rios and did the Dunns River Falls tour. Some people say that's cool, others say it's not worth it. I wasn't really a big fan of Jamaica as a whole, and probably won't go back (unless I'm staying in an all inclusive and don't need to go out into real Jamaica). :lmao:

Our trip will be all inclusive.....But I was just checking to make sure there wasn't anything else on the island that was a must see.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
Our trip will be all inclusive.....But I was just checking to make sure there wasn't anything else on the island that was a must see.
As long as you're cool with staying at the resort the whole time, that's what I'd do. Jamaica isn't really safe, and our cruise director recommended that we not "explore" the area on our own. We'd considered a Sandals resort, but wanted to take a cruise instead (more places to see).

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
Nickel said:
As long as you're cool with staying at the resort the whole time, that's what I'd do. Jamaica isn't really safe, and our cruise director recommended that we not "explore" the area on our own. We'd considered a Sandals resort, but wanted to take a cruise instead (more places to see).

Thanks!

I would love to take a cruise..........But we are going for a wedding. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
mv_princess said:
Oh and is the water ok to drink if I stay at the resort only? Or don't risk it?
I think I remember them telling us not to drink the water, but I'm sure they provide bottled water at the resort.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
You'll be too busy drinking fruity coctails w/ little umbrellas to worry about drinking the water. I've been to Beaches at Turks and Caicos and my BIL has been to Beaches and Sandals in Jamaica, he liked Turks better, because he wasn't worried about getting shot like in Jamaica. Just stay in the resort and only do the guided tours and you'll be fine.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Which one? There's 7 of them. They are ALL VERY nice. I have stayed in most. The treatment you get by the staff is 1st class and awesome! You'll be treated like royalty at any sandals you stay in. I suggest you go all inclusive for sure!

I've stayed in:

Sandals Inn is the smallest and in Montego Bay. It's very small and very quaint with VERY peronalized service. Little tiny beach. Within walking distance to everything on the hip strip. Doesn't have as many ammenities as the rest though.

Sandals Montego Bay (The Original Sandals) is right next to the airport. It has the largest private beach in Jamiaca. GREAT snorkling VERY close to shore.

Sandals Royal Carribean ( Montego Bay again) is the newest in Montego Bay. This one is more secluded and a little city in iteself. You never have to leave this one if you don't have to. Very pretty but small beach.

Sandals Negril. Basically just like Sandals Montego Bay. It's on the 7 mile beach.

Sandals Whitehouse is the newest and THE BIGGEST resort on Jamiaca. On the South Coast ( My FAVORITE area) off the beaten path. The people on the South Coast are wonderful. This place is not as touristy as most of Jamiaca. You get more of the feeling of the REAL Jamiaca. I HIGHLY recommend this one. My all time favorite!!

There's 2 in Ochos Rios but I haven't stayed or been in them.

The thing about Sandals is that if you stay in one, you can go to any and use all their facitlites. There's even shuttles between them.

I've been going to Jamaica for many many years. My brother has businesses there ( a recording studio, a gift shop, part of a hotel, a goat farm etc) and we'd travlel back and forth a lot. Let me know where you decide to stay and I can hook you up with some tips, some GREAT people and services in the area..

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
MysticalMom said:
Which one? There's 7 of them. They are ALL VERY nice. I have stayed in most. The treatment you get by the staff is 1st class and awesome! You'll be treated like royalty at any sandals you stay in. I suggest you go all inclusive for sure!

I've stayed in:

Sandals Inn is the smallest and in Montego Bay. It's very small and very quaint with VERY peronalized service. Little tiny beach. Within walking distance to everything on the hip strip. Doesn't have as many ammenities as the rest though.

Sandals Montego Bay (The Original Sandals) is right next to the airport. It has the largest private beach in Jamiaca. GREAT snorkling VERY close to shore.

Sandals Royal Carribean ( Montego Bay again) is the newest in Montego Bay. This one is more secluded and a little city in iteself. You never have to leave this one if you don't have to. Very pretty but small beach.

Sandals Negril. Basically just like Sandals Montego Bay. It's on the 7 mile beach.

Sandals Whitehouse is the newest and THE BIGGEST resort on Jamiaca. On the South Coast ( My FAVORITE area) off the beaten path. The people on the South Coast are wonderful. This place is not as touristy as most of Jamiaca. You get more of the feeling of the REAL Jamiaca. I HIGHLY recommend this one. My all time favorite!!

There's 2 in Ochos Rios but I haven't stayed or been in them.

The thing about Sandals is that if you stay in one, you can go to any and use all their facitlites. There's even shuttles between them.

I've been going to Jamaica for many many years. My brother has businesses there ( a recording studio, a gift shop, part of a hotel, a goat farm etc) and we'd travlel back and forth a lot. Let me know where you decide to stay and I can hook you up with some tips, some GREAT people and services in the area..

Well I do believe we are staying in one the hotels in Ochos Rios. I am not sure which one, only because i didn't know there was more than one. I will find out, and get back to you.

The info I am getting is great! I CAN'T wait to go!!

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
We booked our honeymoon for Sandals Royal Caribbean in Montego Bay, Jamaica.
We're pretty excited. :yay:

It's a little too touristy for us.
But right now, we decided we could deal. It won't be peak season and we really didn't want the stress of trying to plan, so we went with the all-inclusive.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
mv_princess said:
Well I do believe we are staying in one the hotels in Ochos Rios. I am not sure which one, only because i didn't know there was more than one. I will find out, and get back to you.

The info I am getting is great! I CAN'T wait to go!!

Ochos Rios...Lots of cruise ships on Tuesdays and Saturdays. The place is FULL of people. Try not to do your side trips on those 2 days or you'll have to do them packed with crusie ship passengers.

Dunns River Falls. This is beautiful and refreshing after the Jamican heat. Bring your own water shoes or you'll have to buy them there.

Theres this really cool beach on a slow running river there. I can not remember the name of the place for the life of me, but ask about the beautiful little beach on the river and the locals will know.

Fergully! Now this was cool. A ride to the top of a mountain through and over thousands of HUGEferns. At the top is breathtaking views and the best jerk place on the isalnd. I bet there's 100 venders.

Prospect Plantation for Horseback riding...go rafting on the white river...so much to do!

Slueth if ya want I can tell ya LOTS about Montego Bay. I even have some great people there for certain services I can hook you up with.

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
MysticalMom said:
Slueth if ya want I can tell ya LOTS about Montego Bay. I even have some great people there for certain services I can hook you up with.
Anything free?

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
MysticalMom said:

What do ya got? :biggrin:
I honestly know nothing about the place. I'm hoping my travel agent can steer me toward some cool stuff.

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
sleuth said:
What do ya got? :biggrin:
I honestly know nothing about the place. I'm hoping my travel agent can steer me toward some cool stuff.

Slueth…this is a long post…I didn't even realize how long until I read it over.

Sandals is for lovers. And The Royal is the nicest of the sandals properties I've been too.
The beach is tiny, but GORGEOUS! Lot of water sports to enjoy.You will have such a great honeymoon there. The service is so personalized and awesome you will be on a first name basis with all of the staff. It's about 5 miles from the airport. Closer to Rose Hall than Montego Bay ( downtown wise) Near to Blue Diamond shopping center with a grocery store, Half Moon Shopping complex has upscale dining and shopping., There's even a McDonalds, Kentucky Fried Chicken ( with rice and peas on the menu) and a Movie Theatre.

On teh resort: Bring at least one formal dress...The Royal is a little bit more layed back, but they'll have formal night that's fun and not to be missed.. They have a beach bar that serves drinks of any kind, hot dogs and hamburgers etc all day and all night. There's something to eat and drink somewhere all day and all night. Oh important tip: if you want to eat at one of the restaurants instead of the buffets, make reservations early in the day. Make sure to get an aloe massage from the ladies on the beach. And..for a little bit different experience take the shuttle to Sandals Negril. A 1 hour ride that's well worth it!!!! A thrill! Hold on to your hats!

I've seen some here say how dangerous Jamaica is and to stay in your resort. I disagree. I've been all over this island many times over, for a lot of years. I've only had ONE problem and that was in a place we had no business being in the middle of the night in Kingston. All the bad wrap that Jamaica gets is out of the slums of Kingston which will be 350 miles away and noting to worry about. Jamaican people might be a little pushy with their wares, but they're not violent. Even though you're staying all inclusive, get out there! Go on the side trips. Sandals will get your there!! Meet the people and see the culture.See the real Jamaica.

Some suggestions: Go rafting on the Martha Brae., do it late in the afternoon and then go to Luminous Lagoon to Glistening Waters restaurant where after dark and a DELICIOUS meal you can take a boat out and watch the amazing glowing water. It glows, and I mean GLOWS brightly, due to the highest concentration of bioluminescent algae in the world.:)shrug: I listened) It's sooooo beautiful it's hard to describe.. The fish look like little comets shooting through the water.

And not to be missed: Go HAND feed the different kinds of hummingbirds at The Bird Feeding Station in the town of Anchovy. About a half an hour drive, and it's just MAGICAL! Huge hummingbirds like you've never seen , including the doctor bird. All coming right up to eat from the nectar bottle in my hand. Flitting around my face and arms. So unbelievably cool. It took my breath away.

Oh and as for drinking the water. Yes you can. Jamaica has a very pure water system. It taste great and they say it's pure-er even than the U.S.

I know I sound like a big know it all…but I've been going there since I was a kid. I just soaked it up. I like the people and the culture, have many friends there. I can even send you to a good Obeah man if you need those kind of services. :yikes:.

I'm jealous of you all who are going. I didn't go at all last year and I can't go this year either.