Daughter's Boyfriend

demsformd

Ok, I''ve mentioned this a couple of times but I really need some help here. My youngest daughter (child for that matter) is currently dating a young man that is 2 years older than her (read: college guy taking advantage of an inexperienced high school girl). He and I have had several run-ins about the way that he acts and the type of person that he is. He is the type of person that subscribes to Mariyln Manson (sp?) music and the whole dark chlothes and other unfashionable clothes genre. This lil sh*t has alreay told me to f myself as well as other terrible things. I have allowed this relationship to last a little while now because I remembered how I was with my wife when I was a kid and how much her dad hated me (after all, I told him to f himself). But his behavior is rubbing off on my little girl who is moving more and more into seculsion and her grades are dropping. When I talk to her about it, she goes into a tirade about how she is being an "individual." I need to end this terrible relationship but my daughter will hate me for it. How can I deal with this?

K

Kain99

Dems... Let her hate you now. She will Love you later. Daddy always know best! Us girls just take a little longer to realize it. Your in a position to understand this jerks motives much better than your little girl is. Take the chance, lay down the law and let her grow. One day in a few years when she is giving birth to her first baby with a wonderful husband she will look up at you and say Thanks... I owe all of this to you! Trust me. :smile:

K

Kain99

Originally posted by SmallTown
But the more you force, the more they rebel.

T Total B.S. You just don't know how to force! Back in the day I thought just like you do..... Now I watch the kids under Biscuits rule and all is well with the world! When you throw down, you have to be prepared to back it up with some major Arse!

JabbaJawz

Be about it
That's a tough one, and I'm not exactly sure how I'd deal with this one. To me, the facts are clear - her attitude, grades, etc... are suffering due to her boyfriend, and that has to stop (whether he stays in the picture long-term or not). Personally, his appearance wouldn't matter to me nearly as much as the type of person he is. He obviously doesn't have respect for his elders, which is a big :nono: from the start. I don't care if Mackenzie gets older, wears funky clothing, and dyes her hair blue, etc... as long as she's a good kid. Things like individual appearance are the least of my worries with all of the issues kids have to deal with these days. Anyway, this dude sounds like a butthead, and it's taking an obvious toll on your daughter.

Have you tried telling her to shape up in the problem areas or she is going to be restricted from seeing him?

Oh, and by the way, I fully realize that I'm just rambling and have no good answer to your question, lol! I'm actually anxious to hear what others say on how to deal with this issue.

K

Kain99

Cari I am so with you onthe musical taste issue but the age concerns me... What does a college boy want from a high school girl? Yep, you guessed it, The goods! Obviously no one his age is interested. Kinda scary.

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by Kain99
T Total B.S. You just don't know how to force! Back in the day I thought just like you do..... Now I watch the kids under Biscuits rule and all is well with the world! When you throw down, you have to be prepared to back it up with some major Arse!

I see it all the time Kain. Growing up, the ones who forced their opinions on their kids ended up with kids that rebel. Now, I'm not saying let them do whatever they want. But show them why you feel a certain way and also listen to what the kid is saying. Parenting is not just about telling, it is about listening as well. Especially when they reach the teenage years.

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by Kain99
T Total B.S. You just don't know how to force!

How do you force so that they actually listen, yet still respect the parent. I've seen some parents do this and be successful, and others do it and end up with even more of a rebel. I guess it all depends on the child, parent, and situation in general. I'm curious, and still trying to figure out how in the heckle I'm going to beginnnn to deal with the teenage years!!

SmallTown

Football season!
Originally posted by cariblue
Now, if you were a guy, would you want to try and build a relationship with a woman whose main objective and college major is getting laid and drunk?

Ahh, I miss the college days :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by cariblue
Now, if you were a guy, would you want to try and build a relationship with a woman whose main objective and college major is getting laid and drunk?

I would...if I were a guy who's major objective was also to get laid and drunk, :cool: :cheers: !

Seriously, though, I do see what you're trying to say.

K

Kain99

Originally posted by laureng
How do you force so that they actually listen, yet still respect the parent. I've seen some parents do this and be successful, and others do it and end up with even more of a rebel. I guess it all depends on the child, parent, and situation in general. I'm curious, and still trying to figure out how in the heckle I'm going to beginnnn to deal with the teenage years!!

Crap if I know... Biscuit says jump and they scream how high? I think it's a tone of voice issue..... Maybe it's size... Doubt it, Biscuits Mom has the same effect! :smile:

K

Kain99

I met my wife in college at a party... Over a keg of killians red beer. :biggrin:

And.... she looked really, reallly good that night, right? :biggrin:

SeaRide

What does the law say about an adult messing around with an underage girl? what's her age? 17 or under?
Talk firmly to this lil snot to either help your daughter improve grades in high school and her attitudes OR else ... (my mind went blank .. dang) Why don't you talk to the counselor at the school and get some guidance on this issue immediately.

yakky doodle

I met my wife in college at a party... Over a keg of killians red beer. :biggrin:

ST -- when will you learn that there are just some personal things you don't want to make public knowledge on this forum :nono: :biggrin:

JabbaJawz

Be about it
Originally posted by yakky doodle
ST -- when will you learn that there are just some personal things you don't want to make public knowledge on this forum :nono: :biggrin:

Poop!!! I'm too late on learning this fact. Just like I was too late to realize we weren't supposed to use our 'real' names on here!! :eek: :confused:

:biggrin: :lol: :biggrin: