Omaha Steaks

MMDad

Lem Putt
We got an offer in the mail yesterday from Omaha Steaks. It's what they call $200 worth of meat for $60. I added up the prices I would pay at a decent store, and it looks like about $60 worth, so we're going to order it.

I've always felt that even if this meat is good, you still have a frozen steak. I know people at work who buy this stuff at full price. I can't imagine paying $20 for a 5 oz. filet with no sides, cook it myself, then clean it up myself. If you are going to pay that much, why not let someone wait on you?

I'm happy with the quality of meat I get at woodburns. Does anybody have an opinion about Omaha Steaks?

T

tikipirate

Very good quality meat. In$anely pricey, though. And you still have to know how to cook it correctly.

With any beef I have found that leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a few hours is a good way of removing excess moisture. Otherwise you can end up steaming the meat, rather than searing it.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
tikipirate said:
With any beef I have found that leaving it uncovered in the fridge for a few hours is a good way of removing excess moisture. Otherwise you can end up steaming the meat, rather than searing it.
It's called aging.. and what I saw concerning it was leave it for a day or two. I've never real aged any beef I've cooked and the way it was explained on the food channel I wasn't too sure of.

"Don't worry about the discoloration, or the slight odor, that's OK, and what you want"

bcp

In My Opinion
tikipirate said:
try a marinade for a few hours with whatever it is that you are going to season the steak with that night.
then get a good pan and put just a film of olive oil in the bottom of it.
heat the pan to high,
right before you put the steak on the grill or in the broiler, drop it into the olive oil and let it set for about 15~20 seconds each side.

then broil or grill it.

the quick searing like that will close the pores on the meat and burn the seasons into it.
then when you cook it, it will be very very tender and full of flavor.

my way keeps the juices in the meat.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
bcp said:
try a marinade for a few hours with whatever it is that you are going to season the steak with that night.
then get a good pan and put just a film of olive oil in the bottom of it.
heat the pan to high,
right before you put the steak on the grill or in the broiler, drop it into the olive oil and let it set for about 15~20 seconds each side.

then broil or grill it.

the quick searing like that will close the pores on the meat and burn the seasons into it.
then when you cook it, it will be very very tender and full of flavor.

my way keeps the juices in the meat.
Dems could have told you that! :lmao:

forever jewel

Green Eyed Lady
MMDad said:
We got an offer in the mail yesterday from Omaha Steaks. It's what they call $200 worth of meat for $60. I added up the prices I would pay at a decent store, and it looks like about $60 worth, so we're going to order it.

I've always felt that even if this meat is good, you still have a frozen steak. I know people at work who buy this stuff at full price. I can't imagine paying $20 for a 5 oz. filet with no sides, cook it myself, then clean it up myself. If you are going to pay that much, why not let someone wait on you?

I'm happy with the quality of meat I get at woodburns. Does anybody have an opinion about Omaha Steaks?

I don't know about Omaha steaks, but for a few years, my sisters and I raised and sold beef steers in the SMC 4H auction. My parents would usually buy my sister's steer back and we would have home grown beef for about a year or so. It was always delicious, but I guess it all depends on how you prepare it too :razz:

BS Gal

Voted Nicest in 08
MMDad said:

We got the same offer, but have quit eating red meat. It was tempting, but we're off red meat now for good.