Slug Barrel Question

I am looking to get a new slug barrel for my 870. I currently have a 26" VR, and am looking to get a 20" slug barrel. I see that there are fixed choke barrels and some that take tubes (both are rifle sighted slug barrels). Beyond the ability of using sabots w/ a rifled choke, is there any advantage/disadvantage to using either barrel (i.e. is the fixed choke barrel more accurate)? All shots will be 50 yards or less, so rifled slugs will most likely be the ammunition of choice.

Wickedwrench

Stubborn and opinionated
Why would someone want to change chokes in a slug barrel?:confused: I was always taught that improved cylinder was best for slugs anyway.:shrug: If you really want accuracy, go for a rifled barrel and find a good jacketed sabot slug to fire through it. Knocks em dead out to 100 yards no problem.:yay:

Softballkid

No Longer the Kid
Wickedwrench said:
Why would someone want to change chokes in a slug barrel?:confused: I was always taught that improved cylinder was best for slugs anyway.:shrug: If you really want accuracy, go for a rifled barrel and find a good jacketed sabot slug to fire through it. Knocks em dead out to 100 yards no problem.:yay:

:yeahthat: or something close to it anyway....

gtmobill

huntr1 said:
All shots will be 50 yards or less, so rifled slugs will most likely be the ammunition of choice.

If all of your shots are going to be 50 yards or less, i would think about sticking with the 26" VR. I have been using a 26" VR on my 1100 for years and have taken deer out to 80 yards. If you do opt for a slug barrel, make sure you get one that is rifled. Not all slug barrels are rifled.

p.s. Did you ever get that old outboard running?