Suspended High School Basketballer

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
:frown: What is the deal with this kid LaBron James
He is an 18 year old basketball phenom who apparently went into department store in his town, agreed to do a promotional photo shoot wearing sports jerseys and posing with younger kids.

Then, the store manager gave him the 2 jerseys as he was leaving the store - valued at $845.00!
Word of this got back to the athletic department of his high school, and now he's been suspended for the rest of the season.

This is the same kid who recieved a $50,000.00 Hummer SUV from his mother last month as a "gift".
Looks like some boosters paid for it, signed it over to her, and she in turn gave it to her son. Hmmm!
penn

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Penn, I thought it was reported that the mother got a loan for the Hummer. That incident was investigated and just a few days ago, he was cleared of no wrongdoing. Then the shirt thing came up.

It's a shame for the kid, but he has been ill advised and his school has been making a buttload of money off of him...is that fair?

This is just a small part of what's wrong with professional sports these days.

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Originally posted by cattitude
Penn, I thought it was reported that the mother got a loan for the Hummer. That incident was investigated and just a few days ago, he was cleared of no wrongdoing. Then the shirt thing came up.

It's a shame for the kid, but he has been ill advised and his school has been making a buttload of money off of him...is that fair?

This is just a small part of what's wrong with professional sports these days.
:blushing: Then I must have read or heard it wrong Catt, I thought I heard some story she "got help" with securing the loan for the vehicle. It was termed "legal", you are correct, but the controversy was that she turned it right over to him and questions started coming up. It also turned a spotlight squarely on him, even though he stood out already.
True, an 18 yr old needs better advising then he's got or getting to this point. He's a fantastic commodity, and subject to being used as a sports icon. However, it's a two-way street here; he's using the game to further his career, too.
The other thing is: doesn't this 18 yr old have a head on his shoulders as well? Yes, we are older and wiser, but accepting
two shirts for $845.00 for a photo shoot? Did it even trigger any doubts in his mind? I guess not.
Bottom line, I hope is, he learned something about sports and media hoopla, exploitation and being a little more aware of what consequences his actions can have. You can't ride the train for free.

penn

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Oh, I agree with you Penn. I'm sure the help she had was the guarantee of big bucks for his NBA career. Funny, did you hear he's already wrecked the thing? Ran into some woman, sideswiped her, I think.:frown:

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Sideswiped SUV?

Originally posted by cattitude
Oh, I agree with you Penn. I'm sure the help she had was the guarantee of big bucks for his NBA career. Funny, did you hear he's already wrecked the thing? Ran into some woman, sideswiped her, I think.:frown:
:eek: NO!! I did not hear or see that! I just saw a recap yesterday afternoon of the situation with Dick Vitales'(whom I cannot stand) summation on the whole affair.
They - ESPN - put up a picture of the SUV in a parking lot, and it looked ok. Gees, with a vehicle of that size, that could easily qualify for Male Bashing, in reverse!
You know, overall, I think that's just what an 18 yr old basketball star needs: a big 'ol SUV that feeds on ones' ego.
I wonder if there is a moral to this story?
:rolleyes: penn

Otter

Nothing to see here
Would this be in the news as much if it was Sarah Hughes receiving a vette for her 17th b-day?

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Jerseys.....

Originally posted by bluto
I'd like to see what a $425 shirt looks like.
:rolleyes: They put up a picture on ESPN, I think, of the two of them side-by-side on hangers sometime during the discussion. I thought they looked like a couple of ordinary basketball-type jerseys. Danged if I could see why they would be priced at $425.00 apiece.
There was one more note to the story though; apparently James wasn't the only high school kid from the same school involved in the photo-shoot. One or two other "unidentified" male youths took part in the session and might have recieved jerseys as well. The thinking was that if the other kids were on the same team as James, then they might have to be suspended too.
It's under investigation, but it shouldn't be too hard to find out who was with James at that store. Took pictures, didn't they?
penn

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
Newsworthy.....

Originally posted by cariblue
:razz2:
:biggrin: Cattitude might make the front page of St. Marys' Today
or even The Enterprise, if she got her shiny new 'Vette!

:cheers: penn

Penn

Dancing Up A Storm
From Headline News.....

:rolleyes: The plot thickens! Headline News just reported that
LeBron James had RETURNED the basketball jerseys to the department store prior to the notice of suspension that was served on him by the high school athletic department.
Hmmm? Does that make any difference? He'd already accepted them from the store as a, what, gratuity? Maybe somebody smart finally offered him some good advice, albeit kinda late.

penn

Last edited: