Cookware

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
I'm getting a new cookware set. That much I have decided. My set now is still in great shape. But I've had it over 30 years and it doesn't sit level on my glass stovetop. I also don't think it's that 'healthy' to use now a days. (aluminum)

But I can't choose between Calphalon (no teflon) and Stainless steel. I don't need all the extra's, especially frying pans. I have my cast iron fry pans, and several pieces of Le Cruset that I love.

I need help deciding. What do you have that you love? Opinion's pls. TIA.

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
Calphalon. :yay: Nothing else is allowed in our kitchen. Buy one of the big sets when Hecht's has a sale.

T

tikipirate

I have a full set of Calphalon. It is great for heat distribution, but cleaning and caring for it can be a drag. If you sear meat in the sautoir, it takes some real work to clean afterwards. Also, the anodizing has worn off of my big saucepan, leaving bare aluminum.

Have you seen the Wolfgang Puck set at BJs? $99. I'm not a fan of the glass covers, but I was very tempted.

Vince

tikipirate said:
I have a full set of Calphalon. It is great for heat distribution, but cleaning and caring for it can be a drag. If you sear meat in the sautoir, it takes some real work to clean afterwards. Also, the anodizing has worn off of my big saucepan, leaving bare aluminum.

Have you seen the Wolfgang Puck set at BJs? $99. I'm not a fan of the glass covers, but I was very tempted.
:yeahthat: Stainless steel is easy to clean and care for. If pasta or something sticks, just scrape it out with a metal spoon and wash with scotchbrite pad. Easy. Other stuff loses its coating, but I still couldn't do without my teflon coated electric skillet. Use that for everything.

Suz

tikipirate said:

GMTA! That's exactly the set I am condidering! Seems to be a deal from what I have seen on line. I've never had glass covers before, but it might be a real plus. I'm always lifting the lid when I cook to check the 'temp'.

willie

What is a drawback of glass covers? I like to see what is going on a not disturb the boil.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I hope you don't turn into "those" people that will refuse to eat anything not cooked in their cookware. My cousins cousin's refused to eat anything we cooked in "our" pots and pans one year on Thanksgiving. :weirdos:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
tikipirate said:

Suz' said:
GMTA! That's exactly the set I am considering! Seems to be a deal from what I have seen on line. I've never had glass covers before, but it might be a real plus. I'm always lifting the lid when I cook to check the 'temp'.

I bought that set last week and love, love, LOVE it. :yay: I made fried chicken yesterday and, according to my friends, it came out wonderful. I've never had glass lids before, but they are very nice to be able to see what you're cooking without lifting the lid and losing the heat. :clap:

I wrote about the set in another thread. Read about it here.

Suz

jazz lady said:
I bought that set last week and love, love, LOVE it. :yay: I made fried chicken yesterday and, according to my friends, it came out wonderful. I've never had glass lids before, but they are very nice to be able to see what you're cooking without lifting the lid and losing the heat. :clap:

I wrote about the set in another thread. Read about it here.
I bought it yesterday, but haven't used it yet. Hubby had a craving for King ranch chicken yesterday so it wasn't needed.

Jazz- Does the lid to the chicken fryer on yours have a crease in the metal lip on the lid? Mine does, and before I call the company saying it's damaged I want to be sure. I thought it might be to let steam out? It looks like it should be there but Hubby says no. I already need the oval saute' pan replaced. It's got black oxidation or some thing in 2 places. I got one off with a brillo pad but don't like what it did to the finish.......... :ohwell:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Suz' said:
bump for Jazz..........
Sorry - busy morning.

I bought it yesterday, but haven't used it yet. Hubby had a craving for King ranch chicken yesterday so it wasn't needed.

Jazz- Does the lid to the chicken fryer on yours have a crease in the metal lip on the lid? Mine does, and before I call the company saying it's damaged I want to be sure. I thought it might be to let steam out? It looks like it should be there but Hubby says no. I already need the oval saute' pan replaced. It's got black oxidation or some thing in 2 places. I got one off with a brillo pad but don't like what it did to the finish..........
Yes, mine had that same crease but it looked more like a dent rather than it should be there. When I called the company and told them the lid was dented, they didn't mention anything about the crease/dent should be there. They didn't require me to send it back. They are just sending a replacement, which I haven't gotten yet.

I don't have any discoloration on any of my pans other than a bit on the bottom of my fryer from the the gas flames from my cooktop. Not bad, but you can notice the marks.

Suz

jazz lady said:
Sorry - busy morning.

Yes, mine had that same crease but it looked more like a dent rather than it should be there. When I called the company and told them the lid was dented, they didn't mention anything about the crease/dent should be there. They didn't require me to send it back. They are just sending a replacement, which I haven't gotten yet.

I don't have any discoloration on any of my pans other than a bit on the bottom of my fryer from the the gas flames from my cooktop. Not bad, but you can notice the marks.
Been busy here too! And thank you! I'm going to call them when I get home. Also going to have to plan to use them this week, to try them out! I don't cook every night if we have had a big lunch (IE: Pax Landings) or if one of us has a late FRA meeting etc.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
I wanted to ask about cookware.
GF and I were at a home show a couple weeks ago and this guy was showing off his iron waterless cooking cookware. He wanted like $1500-$4000 for his cookware, depending on how many pieces, what size sets you buy.

I was flabbergasted. :yikes:

Is the stuff really that good? Is it worth that kind of money? I can't remember the brand name but it was American-made and had a lifetime guarantee.

I mean it was neat how everything stacked perfectly and cleaned up easily, and he didn't have to use any grease or anything to get some good tasty food. But I just can't seem to justify that much money on cookware.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
mainman said:
I am waiting on my emerilwear.. So I can BAM!!Kick it up another notch....

:yay: That was my other choice. I had looked at it several months ago and really liked the quality, but for the price, the WP cookware won out. You don't have to worry about that, now do you? :lol:

camily

Peace
Suz' said:
GMTA! That's exactly the set I am condidering! Seems to be a deal from what I have seen on line. I've never had glass covers before, but it might be a real plus. I'm always lifting the lid when I cook to check the 'temp'.
:yeahthat: That's what I have and I love it!

Suz

Jazz

jazz lady said:
Sorry - busy morning.

Did you ever get your replacement lid?