Tourist/Historic areas

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where are some fun city tourist/historic areas across the US? Like, in San Antonio they have the Riverwalk. In Austin it's 6th St. In Baltimore you go to Inner Harbor. Alexandria has Old Town. In Columbus there's the Arena District.

What are some other cool places to visit?

MMDad

Lem Putt
Seattle - Pike street fish market

San Francisco, Fishermans Wharf

Oakland, Jack London Square

San Diego, Gaslamp

Charleston, Downtown

ptbrien

Livin' for the Dream
Home town

I have to go home town on this

Rochester, NY - Summer
East Avenue
George Eastman House (founder of Kodak)
High Falls

or

Charleston, SC
Battery
Ghost tours
Slave Market

morganj614

vraiblonde said:
Where are some fun city tourist/historic areas across the US? Like, in San Antonio they have the Riverwalk. In Austin it's 6th St. In Baltimore you go to Inner Harbor. Alexandria has Old Town. In Columbus there's the Arena District.

What are some other cool places to visit?

I say go off the beaten path of tourist places. Once, in Seattle, we followed this smell of roasted garlic up some very hilly streets and stumbled on this awesome garlic restaurant.... You never know what you might find. :howdy:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
There's probably 50 Civil war battelfield within a 100 mile of D.C., Monticello in Charllotsville, Williamsburg, Yorktown and Jamestown are all close by.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
New Orleans - Bourbon St. (that's obvious)
Chicago - Michigan Ave. & Wrigley Field
Boston - The North End
New York City - Times Square
San Francisco - Golden Gate Bridge Park
California - Route 1 Scenic Highway - stop along the way and walk down to the ocean.
San Antonio - The Marketplace, The Alamo
Fort Worth - Sundance Square, Billy Bob's, The Stockyards
Dallas - JFK Assassination spot
St. Augustine, FL - Fountain of Youth, Downtown Area, Bastile something or other
Jacksonville - The Jacksonville Landing (I think) next to the Adams Mark Hotel
St. Louis - the Arch
Cape Canaveral - Kennedy Space Center
Washington DC - anywhere downtown, but I especially like the Lincoln Memorial

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Good suggestions :yay:

What I'm looking for are areas where you can check into your hotel, have your car parked, then walk to restaurants and shops and not see your vehicle again until you leave to go back home. I should have been clearer.

The Riverwalk in San Antonio and midtown Manhattan are examples because you can spend a whole week just kicking around that area and never really have to leave it for entertainment or food.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
Good suggestions :yay:

What I'm looking for are areas where you can check into your hotel, have your car parked, then walk to restaurants and shops and not see your vehicle again until you leave to go back home. I should have been clearer.

The Riverwalk in San Antonio and midtown Manhattan are examples because you can spend a whole week just kicking around that area and never really have to leave it for entertainment or food.
I dunno... the riverwalk in San Antonio was nice... pretty... but boring.
Aside from restaurants, there really wasn't much around it. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
sleuth said:
I dunno... the riverwalk in San Antonio was nice... pretty... but boring.
Aside from restaurants, there really wasn't much around it. :ohwell:
OMG! We shopped all around the Alamo area and realized the night before we were due to leave that there was a very cool Mexican marketplace with all kinds of shops and cantinas that we missed. If you walk upstairs from the river, there's all kinds of things. :yay:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
By far, my favorite has been the historic district in Savannah, Georgia. There's lots to do and see, plus they have a cool trolley tour to get around the city. Nearby are Tybee Island and Hilton Head - both very fun to visit but HH is $$$.

My second favorite was The French Quarter in New Orleans, but who knows what condition it is now.

morganj614

jazz lady said:
By far, my favorite has been the historic district in Savannah, Georgia. There's lots to do and see, plus they have a cool trolley tour to get around the city. Nearby are Tybee Island and Hilton Head - both very fun to visit but HH is $$$.

My second favorite was The French Quarter in New Orleans, but who knows what condition it is now.

Oh I forgot about Savannah. If you get up off of River Walk there are some neat restaurants around town. We found a fun wing place on one trip. I'd love to go back... :yay:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
vraiblonde said:
OMG! We shopped all around the Alamo area and realized the night before we were due to leave that there was a very cool Mexican marketplace with all kinds of shops and cantinas that we missed. If you walk upstairs from the river, there's all kinds of things. :yay:
I checked out the Marketplace and the Alamo and all around there... Those were great! :yay:

I was referring specifically to the Riverwalk.

I don't remember the Marketplace and Alamo being within walking distance? :confused:

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
morganj614 said:
Oh I forgot about Savannah. If you get up off of River Walk there are some neat restaurants around town. We found a fun wing place on one trip. I'd love to go back... :yay:
I'd love to back, too. Sounds like a road trip coming up. :wink: I loved the River Walk. You're right - there are lots of good restaurants. I had dinner one night at The Chart House. VERY spectacular view and the food was :drool: . There's a lot to do around there - ghost walks, tours of the old homes, riverboat cruises, etc.

My favorite dining experience in the area was on Tybee Island, though. A place called "The Crab Shack" where you could sit outside under huge live oaks dripping with Spanish moss looking at the stars above while eating a low-country boil (shrimp, sausage, corn, potatoes) dumped rather unceremoniously on your brown-paper covered table. But it was awesomely delicious to munch on while listening to great music and enjoying the beautiful scenery. Very kitschy but fun as hell. :yay:

Last edited:

jwwb2000

pretty black roses
There are many places in San Diego to visit and you are able to park your car and either catch a trolley or a bus for pretty cheap. If you stay in Mission Valley, there is plenty of shopping including two malls within 2 miles of each other. There is also tons of places to eat such as Dave and Busters, In and Out, Gordon Biersh (local brewery), Bennyhana's, ect. Another place to visit while there is Old Towne. Very neat place. A couple other areas that might interest you if visiting San Diego, Coronado. This is where the Hotel Del Coronado is located. There are plenty of places to grab a bite to eat on the island and if you want to take a water taxi from downtown to the island, that is one way to enjoy your visit.

morganj614

RoseRed said:
I would like to visit Charleston, SC sometime.

I attended a wedding there but didn't get to do the tourist thing. Another close by historic city is Beaufort, S.C. From what I saw, it was very quaint, with old southern charm.