Astronomy

duzzey1a

I know this should probably be in the photography section but here goes:

Is there any astro-photography groups in the area? Also, are there any astronomy groups in the area?

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
This would be good to know. I got a half way decent starter telescope for christmas, but unfortunately haven't had time to go out and use it.

linkie for you->whats out tonight

Last edited:

Pushrod

Patriot
I've got two scopes, an 8" dob on a equitorial mount and a 12.5" truss style dob. I take them out ALL the time whenever there is a clear sky and the moon isn't full.

If any of you ever want to get together and do some DSO hunting it is always more fun with more people.

I've just started to get into Astrophotography. I have a nikon coolpix camera that mounts to my lenses that I use, but I haven't quite got to prime focus with it yet, so my pictures are so-so. Still on the bottom end (beginning?) of a steep learning curve there.

PM me if anyone wants to go out viewing, whether you have a scope or not and are just interested in seeing what is out there, I would be happy to give a tour of the night sky.

Oh, there is SMAS, or Southern Maryland Astronomical Society. I am not a member because they are located quite a ways away from me (I'm in southern Calvert and they are west of Waldorf)

ylexot

Super Genius
I thought about getting into astrophotography, but by the time I finished looking at the Orion catalog, the bill was ~$10k :lmao:

duzzey1a

I'm looking at the Orion Catalog right now. I'm looking at the SpaceProbe 130ST or the AstroView 6EQ. They both are going to set me back about $300. Are these scopes good for the not-so-beginner/ Intermediate gazer? Any better recommendations? I would like to get into the photography side of things, but not until I learn how to set the polar alignment. :coffee:

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
duzzey1a said:
linkie no workie! I will try to google it. Thanks!
I fixed the link, you might find it useful, it has a section for telescope advice/ purchases.
Another link:smas

Last edited:

Pushrod

Patriot
duzzey1a said:
I'm looking at the Orion Catalog right now. I'm looking at the SpaceProbe 130ST or the AstroView 6EQ. They both are going to set me back about $300. Are these scopes good for the not-so-beginner/ Intermediate gazer? Any better recommendations? I would like to get into the photography side of things, but not until I learn how to set the polar alignment. :coffee:

I've got a freeware program for polar aligning that makes it a cinch to do. Takes me all of two minutes once I have the scope set up. Now getting the right ascension speed right on the mount is a pain.

For a good place to find answers about different scopes is at cloudy nights.