Tires!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Just ordered a front tire from SWMOTO cost of $78, SMCITY Motorcycle will mount and balance it or $35, I just saved HUGE money.. my back tire at the dealership was $260, 92 through SWMOTO

and I run Metzler Sportech M-1

itsbob

I bowl overhand
I just got an e-mail from American Harley (the new dealership)..

IF I bring them a tire, and the wheel Off of the bike, they will mount and balance my tire for, are ya ready?? Wait for it...

FIFTY dollars!!! (48.50 plus tax to be exct)... Friggin highway robbery.. I wasn't happy with the $35 cost from SMCITY.. but fifty friggin dollars??

Think I'll write them back and see how much they want for a tire, removing the wheel from the bike etc....

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
I just got an e-mail from American Harley (the new dealership)..

IF I bring them a tire, and the wheel Off of the bike, they will mount and balance my tire for, are ya ready?? Wait for it...

FIFTY dollars!!! (48.50 plus tax to be exct)... Friggin highway robbery.. I wasn't happy with the $35 cost from SMCITY.. but fifty friggin dollars??

Think I'll write them back and see how much they want for a tire, removing the wheel from the bike etc....

OMG!!!!

WOW! I called Bob's BMW at 301-497-8949 and they charge $42.50. I am ABSOLUTELY stunned that All American Harley wanted to charge you SIX FRIGGIN DOLLARS more than the BMW dealership! They should be FLOGGED!

:sarcasm:

Your contempt for Harley Davidson is almost amusing, if not annoying. :rolleyes:

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
OMG!!!!

WOW! I called Bob's BMW at 301-497-8949 and they charge $42.50. I am ABSOLUTELY stunned that All American Harley wanted to charge you SIX FRIGGIN DOLLARS more than the BMW dealership! They should be FLOGGED!

:sarcasm:

Your contempt for Harley Davidson is almost amusing, if not annoying. :rolleyes:
Have to admit, I didn't check Bob's, because I wasn't going to travel that far.. BUT the price of tires at Bob's led me to find them somewhere else. SMCITY's price of $35 I didn't think was that great, but apparently it's the best going. There is a place in Gaithersburg that charges $11 per tire, 35 if they have to take it off the bike, but not travelling that far either.

I'm soon going to be a new owner of a Harbor Frieght tire changer, and will be doing this myself from now on.. I think anything over 15 a tire is ludicrous..

I should check Mortons just for the heck of it see what they charge.

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Have to admit, I didn't check Bob's, because I wasn't going to travel that far.. BUT the price of tires at Bob's led me to find them somewhere else. SMCITY's price of $35 I didn't think was that great, but apparently it's the best going. There is a place in Gaithersburg that charges $11 per tire, 35 if they have to take it off the bike, but not travelling that far either.

I'm soon going to be a new owner of a Harbor Frieght tire changer, and will be doing this myself from now on.. I think anything over 15 a tire is ludicrous..

I should check Mortons just for the heck of it see what they charge.
You just wanted to bash Harley's, your favorite pastime. :rolleyes: You know what, next time I see you I will give you the $6 since it is so important and totally unfair of AA H-D. :yay:

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
BUY them from Motovation and I think they'll mount them free.
(SCRC members get a 10% discount)

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Pete said:
You just wanted to bash Harley's, your favorite pastime. :rolleyes: You know what, next time I see you I will give you the $6 since it is so important and totally unfair of AA H-D. :yay:
Naaah, if I had called Bob's and they had given me that price i would have said the same thing.. I'm not paying 42.50 for it either.

Bob's is the reason I'm looking in the first place. $260 for a rear tire that I can get online for $98...which means I paid $162 for wheel removal, tire mount and balance.. Robbery no matter who is doing it. I'll get the tire for $98, and do the rest myself, it's not Rocket Science, it's a friggin tire.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
aps45819 said:
BUY them from Motovation and I think they'll mount them free.
(SCRC members get a 10% discount)
NOT bad.. Motovation didn't have the tire brand I was looking for, but their price is only $15 more then SWMOTO, plus 25 for mount and balance.. so still, $106 + 25(motovation) compared to $260(Bob's).. SMCITY wanted $170 for the same tire, and 30 to mount..

Motovation is looking better and better.

35 if I bring in my tire.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
And for you non-bikers.. unlike cars, bike tires only last about 6000 - 8000 miles.. so saving $100 - $150 a tire is substantial... I needed new tires after only three months.

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
NOT bad.. Motovation didn't have the tire brand I was looking for, but their price is only $15 more then SWMOTO, plus 25 for mount and balance.. so still, $106 + 25(motovation) compared to $260(Bob's).. SMCITY wanted $170 for the same tire, and 30 to mount..

Motovation is looking better and better.

35 if I bring in my tire.
Try JAAGS in Hollywood.

jbooty

Try Great Escape in Leonardtown.. Scott and Rus charge $25 an hour and do a great job and are quick! PM me for the number if you're interested.

Ponytail

One thing that you need to consider when pricing mounting and balancing of motorcycle tires is whether or not a NEW tube is used. It is HIGHLY recommended to replace the tube when you replace the tire. this adds $6-10 per tire to the mounting price.

MOST places do NOT do this, unless you specifically ask for it, that is, if you go to a lesser known/quality shop.

THE HD dealer does, as does Jaags. Those are the only two places that I have experience with here.

I also have tire changing spoons, rim savers, and two kinds of wheel weights of all different sizes for motorcycles, none of which has been used. Make an offer if anyone is interested.