The mystery crapper malfunction

Pete

Repete
OK, last Sunday Otter informed me that I had a water leak in the downstairs bathroom. The rugs were wet. So I checked it out and with the absence of water leaking from the tank or the inlet hose I concluded Otters expert diagnosis was correct and I needed a new wax seal. I had remodeled that bathroom last summer.

I investigated and did see water mark on the adjacent storage room floor and wet drywall on the wall that separates the two rooms.

So Monday off I go, get a new seal, take the crapper up, remove old seal with was intact and looked good but was a little "bulged" on one side, clean the sewer flange, install new seal, remount crapper, test flush about 10 times, no leakie. :yay:

Since Monday I have periodically checked the floor and no leakie. Test flushes, no leakie. :yay: I did notice the tile grout was not drying out very quickly but attributed it to being downstairs, colder, on slab.

Last night was hot tub night and I checked it again, all is good. Well today I come home and there is a big puddle on the floor. :banghead:

Test flush and no water leak is evident. No one has used that bathroom nor flushed since yesterday evening and it was good then. Checked all around and nothing is wet except the puddle and the grout.

What could this be?

Hypothesis A - The wax seal did not mate correctly and the water is running under the tile in the groves made by the mastic trowel and oozing up through the grout.

Hypothesis B - Aliens are dumping 4 cups of water on my floor, then watching me to study human problem solving skills.

Hypothesis C - I was cleaning the bathroom a few weeks ago and had mineral build up in the bowl around the water line. Like the manly man I am I figured a wire brush would take it off faster than scrubbing so I tried. It worked good, took off the mineral ring AND the finish of the porcelain. So the water is seeping through the porcelain because I ground off the finish, running down the inside of the base and onto the floor.

What say you Bob and Bobette Vila types. :popcorn:

MMDad

Lem Putt
Pete said:
OK, last Sunday Otter informed me that I had a water leak in the downstairs bathroom. The rugs were wet. So I checked it out and with the absence of water leaking from the tank or the inlet hose I concluded Otters expert diagnosis was correct and I needed a new wax seal. I had remodeled that bathroom last summer.

I investigated and did see water mark on the adjacent storage room floor and wet drywall on the wall that separates the two rooms.

So Monday off I go, get a new seal, take the crapper up, remove old seal with was intact and looked good but was a little "bulged" on one side, clean the sewer flange, install new seal, remount crapper, test flush about 10 times, no leakie. :yay:

Since Monday I have periodically checked the floor and no leakie. Test flushes, no leakie. :yay: I did notice the tile grout was not drying out very quickly but attributed it to being downstairs, colder, on slab.

Last night was hot tub night and I checked it again, all is good. Well today I come home and there is a big puddle on the floor. :banghead:

Test flush and no water leak is evident. No one has used that bathroom nor flushed since yesterday evening and it was good then. Checked all around and nothing is wet except the puddle and the grout.

What could this be?

Hypothesis A - The wax seal did not mate correctly and the water is running under the tile in the groves made by the mastic trowel and oozing up through the grout.

Hypothesis B - Aliens are dumping 4 cups of water on my floor, then watching me to study human problem solving skills.

Hypothesis C - I was cleaning the bathroom a few weeks ago and had mineral build up in the bowl around the water line. Like the manly man I am I figured a wire brush would take it off faster than scrubbing so I tried. It worked good, took off the mineral ring AND the finish of the porcelain. So the water is seeping through the porcelain because I ground off the finish, running down the inside of the base and onto the floor.

What say you Bob and Bobette Vila types. :popcorn:

C. Gasket between the tank and bowl.

D. Leaking inlet pipe or connection.

Pete

Repete
MMDad said:
C. Gasket between the tank and bowl.

D. Leaking inlet pipe or connection.
I checked both of them and they are not leaking or even the teeniest bit wet.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Any drain pipes/ water pipes from upstairs running through that wall?

It's in the basement, any possibility a water pipe may have froze last week-end, and you have a small split somewhere?

Pete

Repete
itsbob said:
Any drain pipes/ water pipes from upstairs running through that wall?

It's in the basement, any possibility a water pipe may have froze last week-end, and you have a small split somewhere?
The backside of that wall is open and the pipes are exposed and none are wet or leaking AND they are inside not exposed to cold.

bresamil

wandering aimlessly
After careful consideration, I'm going with B. If I were an alien, I'd definitely want to mess with Pete's head and see how he reacts.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
Yes...

Pete said:
:smack: And you call yourself a man :rolleyes:

...a man has got to know his limitations.

I don't cut grass and I don't do plumbing. I also don't do drywall. I'll hang it but I ain't taping or mudding OR SANDING.

Larry Gude said:

I don't cut grass and I don't do plumbing. I also don't do drywall. I'll hang it but I ain't taping or mudding OR SANDING.
Go grow me a geranium, garden boy...:wench:

Pete

Repete
Larry Gude said:

I am man, I have no limits.