Flat paint in the bathroom

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
My kids bathroom was painted already when we bought our house. Luckily for me it was done in blue/green with a fish boarder and just so happened to go really well with the fish shower curtain I already had for them. Unfortunately, it was painted with flat paint. I bought ceramic tiles and was going to tile up the walls to about 3 1/2 feet. A lot of work and I've never done anything like that before. Is there some kind of sealer or protectant that I can "paint" on over top of the existing paint to protect it rather then trying to tile the walls and possibly make a huge mess?

mainman

Set Trippin
pixiegirl said:
My kids bathroom was painted already when we bought our house. Luckily for me it was done in blue/green with a fish boarder and just so happened to go really well with the fish shower curtain I already had for them. Unfortunately, it was painted with flat paint. I bought ceramic tiles and was going to tile up the walls to about 3 1/2 feet. A lot of work and I've never done anything like that before. Is there some kind of sealer or protectant that I can "paint" on over top of the existing paint to protect it rather then trying to tile the walls and possibly make a huge mess?
I don't understand, if you are gonna have to paint a coat of something to protect it, why don't you just pick up a gallon of semigloss the same color and just paint it anyways....:confused:

fddog

Bow wow
pixie you could screw a thin piece of partical board against the wall where you want to put the tile, at the top of the board do a chair rail to seperate the two :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
mainman said:
I don't understand, if you are gonna have to paint a coat of something to protect it, why don't you just pick up a gallon of semigloss the same color and just paint it anyways....:confused:

We have cathedral ceilings. The bathroom is currently royal blue 2/3 of the way up, fish border, then bright green to the ceiling. In order to paint (and do it all right) I'd have to take off the border, paint over the existing paint then reborder. There is nothing wrong with the walls/paint now other then needing a few minor touch-ups from me wiping the walls down while cleaning and wiping off some of the paint. A clear coat of some sort would be much easier and less time consuming then repainting everything. :yay:

pixiegirl

Cleopatra Jones
fddog said:
pixie you could screw a thin piece of partical board against the wall where you want to put the tile, at the top of the board do a chair rail to seperate the two :yay:

I don't want to do the tile if there's a clear coat of sorts that I can put over the existing paint. The purpose of the tile was to protect the drywall but if I can find that protection in the form of a sealant then I'm all for it!

mainman

Set Trippin
pixiegirl said:
I don't want to do the tile if there's a clear coat of sorts that I can put over the existing paint. The purpose of the tile was to protect the drywall but if I can find that protection in the form of a sealant then I'm all for it!
I'm not sure what you can put over it that won't yellow after a bit...

Pete

Repete
fddog said:
Particle board in a bathroom is a :nono:

fddog

Bow wow
Pete said:
Particle board in a bathroom is a :nono:
i couldn't remember the name of the material it is made of, but they have a thin board type of material safe for bathrooms, you can adhere it to the wall and grout and tile on the board. :yay:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
fddog said:
i couldn't remember the name of the material it is made of, but they have a thin board type of material safe for bathrooms, you can adhere it to the wall and grout and tile on the board. :yay:
How hard is it to remove?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
pixiegirl said:
In order to paint (and do it all right) I'd have to take off the border, paint over the existing paint then reborder.
When I repainted our half-bath, I just taped up the border so I didn't get paint on it. Worked out fine. :shrug:

mainman

Set Trippin
vraiblonde said:
When I repainted our half-bath, I just taped up the border so I didn't get paint on it. Worked out fine. :shrug:
Bluetape, you can do this pix, still be careful because paint will get behind that tape....

fddog

Bow wow
Nickel said:
How hard is it to remove?
you have to mark the spots you put screws, on a piece of paper so when you are ready to remove you pop the grout off over the screws and un screw, do it in 4' sections so it isn't heavy as a mo