Motorcycle Help

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I have never rode a motorcycle before (Helpful Info)
I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Harley Sportster (Hugger) 883 it has 350 miles on it and the person wants $5000.00.

Question: Is this the right bike for me?
Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance

HunterJJD

sure why not, never been on a bike, why not senpd 5K on it to learn to ride then I mean all that matters is that it is a harley, not that you know how to ride it.

On a real note, a 1993 bike with 350 miles on it, seems a little funny to me.

JD

Pete

Repete
sanchezf said:
I have never rode a motorcycle before (Helpful Info)
I am looking at purchasing a 1993 Harley Sportster (Hugger) 883 it has 350 miles on it and the person wants $5000.00.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance

Right bike for you is hard to answer. Are you M/F, hieght/weight, what type of riding are you planning on doing?

Average retail for that bike in accordance with NADA is $3450. $5,000 seems very steep to me.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
Is this a good deal?

Thanks in advance
DON'T wear a self winding watch on this bike. :lol:
That's probably the high side of fair market price for a sportster, but it's very low miles. Not riding a bike brings it's own set of problems. You'll need to change the battery, brake fluid, oil, plugs and tires. The tread is fine, but they're 13 years old.
Last time I was in S&M at San Souci, they had a 1200 sporty for $5800, think it was a 2000.
Ask them to start it. If they can't, expect to do some engine work because the cylinders are rusty.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Thank you HunterJJD as you were so very helpful, the reason people ask for help is because they are not sure of something, not to get a smata** answer.

If I was only buying it because it was a harley, would even bothered coming on here or asking if it was the right bike for me.

BE A JERK SOMEWHERE ELSE

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
I am Female 5'8 about 135 pounds, just looking fr something to cruise around on, not really speed or anything since I have never rode before.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
If I was only buying it because it was a harley, would even bothered coming on here or asking if it was the right bike for me.
BE A JERK SOMEWHERE ELSE
That's probably why it's a 13 year old bike with 350 miles on it.
Quit reacting and answer Pete's questions.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
I am Female 5'8 about 135 pounds, just looking fr something to cruise around on, not really speed or anything since I have never rode before.
Yes, a hugger will have a low seat height and you shouldn't have a problem with local riding. Does the '93 have a chain or belt final drive?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
aps45819 said:
DON'T wear a self winding watch on this bike. :lol:
That's probably the high side of fair market price for a sportster, but it's very low miles. Not riding a bike brings it's own set of problems. You'll need to change the battery, brake fluid, oil, plugs and tires. The tread is fine, but they're 13 years old.
Last time I was in S&M at San Souci, they had a 1200 sporty for $5800, think it was a 2000.
Ask them to start it. If they can't, expect to do some engine work because the cylinders are rusty.

I know the girl who owns it and she has recently rode it around town (in the past 2 weeks) says there are no problems, good bike.
If I bring someone with me that knows about bikes and she starts it up are these things easly detected or am I looking at trouble further down the rode.

Since I have never rode before, I'm not really sure what to look for? I don't want to spend alot for my first bike (just in case). Any suggestions?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Does the '93 have a chain or belt final drive?[/QUOTE]

To be perfectly honest I do not know, haven't gone to see it yet. Is one better than the other?

Pete

Repete
sanchezf said:
I know the girl who owns it and she has recently rode it around town (in the past 2 weeks) says there are no problems, good bike.
If I bring someone with me that knows about bikes and she starts it up are these things easly detected or am I looking at trouble further down the rode.

Since I have never rode before, I'm not really sure what to look for? I don't want to spend alot for my first bike (just in case). Any suggestions?
Personally I would not buy a 13 year old Sportster for $5,000.

Do not fall into the "I have to buy a small bike to learn on". Look around at bikes and pick on you like. A 883 has more than enough power to dump you just like an 1100 or a 1450. Weight wise if you drop a Hugger that weighs 450lbs you are not going to pick it up anyway to don't be shy about heavier bikes say 550 or 600lbs.

If it doesn't matter what make it is there are metric bikes you can buy used that would be cheaper and newer.

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
Does the '93 have a chain or belt final drive?

To be perfectly honest I do not know, haven't gone to see it yet. Is one better than the other?[/QUOTE]
a belt requires less maintenance
A chain should be oiled every couple of hundred miles, needs to be adjusted to maintain the right amount of slack and when it's worn out you need to replace the front and rear sprokets in addition to the chain.

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Pete said:
Personally I would not buy a 13 year old Sportster for $5,000.

Do not fall into the "I have to buy a small bike to learn on". Look around at bikes and pick on you like. A 883 has more than enough power to dump you just like an 1100 or a 1450. Weight wise if you drop a Hugger that weighs 450lbs you are not going to pick it up anyway to don't be shy about heavier bikes say 550 or 600lbs.

If it doesn't matter what make it is there are metric bikes you can buy used that would be cheaper and newer.

So being my size, you think that say I wanted a softtail, I could hold it up and ride it?

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
If it doesn't matter what make it is there are metric bikes you can buy used that would be cheaper and newer.[/QUOTE]

No make doesn't really impress me, I just want something that I am going to enjoy and not want to sell because it's to big.

Metric Bikes?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
So being my size, you think that say I wanted a softtail, I could hold it up and ride it?
It's not holding it up, it's picking it up.
A lot of that is technique, not strength. I've seen a petite woman get a Goldwing upright.

Pete

Repete
aps45819 said:
Yes, a hugger will have a low seat height and you shouldn't have a problem with local riding. Does the '93 have a chain or belt final drive?
Belt

sanchezf

Little ol' Me
Ok since you guys seem to know a little something

Should I go to a course to learn or is having a friend teach me just as well?

aps45819

24/7 Single Dad
sanchezf said:
Metric Bikes?
Reference to the hardware (nuts/bolts) used to hold them together, Harley and Victory use SAE hardware and Japanees and Europen bikes use metric