Best website for low fare airline tickets and good driving directions back.

OldHillcrestGuy

I will proably be heading out to Salt Lake City very shortly one-way and driving back, was wondering which one of the different low fare websites people have been pleased with. Also has anyone driven back from that area and which is best route Mapquest seems to take me more on a northern route with Interstate 80, what I have seen looking at a atlas is to take 80 to Linclon Neb I think, and then go sort of southeast on Interstate 74 and then pickup Interstate 70 east. Anyone have any suggestions Thanks

SeaRide

The route I-80 to I-74 to I-70 would be the way to go. If someone suggest I-70 east through Colorado, I am suggesting you not to try that route because of the constructions and the weather (i.e. Eisenhower Tunnel, The Divide, Summit-Eagle area) west of Denver.

As for low fare websites, I would be pricing/shopping around Expedia.com, Southwest airline website, travelocity.com and numerous others. I don't know if you would go for those flight such as red-eye or one stop or over-night stay etc.

I caught the morning flight from BWI, arrived at SLC before Noon and be on the Park City mountain resort slopes the same afternoon. Quick Start info

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
OldHillcrestGuy said:
I will proably be heading out to Salt Lake City very shortly one-way and driving back, was wondering which one of the different low fare websites people have been pleased with. Also has anyone driven back from that area and which is best route Mapquest seems to take me more on a northern route with Interstate 80, what I have seen looking at a atlas is to take 80 to Linclon Neb I think, and then go sort of southeast on Interstate 74 and then pickup Interstate 70 east. Anyone have any suggestions Thanks

First, stop in Salt Lake and say HEY to my best friend, then stop onI74 in Peoria and say hey to my sister, then stop in Ohio and spend some time with my ither friend. Oh heck, never mind, Ill just go with you and show you the way home. :howdy:

OldHillcrestGuy

Thanks SeaRide the 80/74/70 route looked like best way. Have looked at Expedia site and have a few flights in mind, and BWI to SLC looks like the way we will go. Has anyone driven back from out there trying to figure how many days on the road. Good old MapQuest saying about 32 hours there way and about 2100 miles. Will have 2 drivers and I figures maybe 12-14 hours a day driving. Sure baileydog be my tour guide can we have overnight lodging with your friends LOL but dont know if you we will have room
for you in car. Going out to fetch the mother-n-law we are going to fly her back and then bring her car back.

MMDad

Lem Putt
OldHillcrestGuy said:
Thanks SeaRide the 80/74/70 route looked like best way. Have looked at Expedia site and have a few flights in mind, and BWI to SLC looks like the way we will go. Has anyone driven back from out there trying to figure how many days on the road. Good old MapQuest saying about 32 hours there way and about 2100 miles. Will have 2 drivers and I figures maybe 12-14 hours a day driving. Sure baileydog be my tour guide can we have overnight lodging with your friends LOL but dont know if you we will have room
for you in car. Going out to fetch the mother-n-law we are going to fly her back and then bring her car back.

I've done this route too many times to count. Make sure you are rested and have a ton of caffeine. There is no better cure for insomnia than driving through Wyoming.

baileydog

I wanna be a SMIB
OldHillcrestGuy said:

4 good driving days, maybe 5 if you take your time.

wmburdette

9/11 - Never Forget!
OldHillcrestGuy said:
It's been about four years since I drove that route but I think it depends on the time of year. If you are past the snow period for the high country, I would recommend the I-80 to I-76, and then I-70 to I-270 to I-495 to MD Rt-5. It always seemed to be the shortest route (I used to drive the San Jose to La Plata route fairly frequently). That's the route recommended by maps.google.com and www.freetrip.com. I have also taken a more southerly route that's not so bad, I-80 to Chyenne, I-25 to Denver, I-70 to St. Louis, then I-64 into Richmond, and I-95, 207, 301 into SoMd.

SeaRide

OldHillcrestGuy said:
Thanks SeaRide the 80/74/70 route looked like best way. Have looked at Expedia site and have a few flights in mind, and BWI to SLC looks like the way we will go. Has anyone driven back from out there trying to figure how many days on the road. Good old MapQuest saying about 32 hours there way and about 2100 miles. Will have 2 drivers and I figures maybe 12-14 hours a day driving. .......

From my experiences, it should be about two days of easy driving from St.Louis to home (one stopover in Tenn).
Approx. 1400 miles from SLC to St.Louis tells me it should take at least two days of driving (from SLC thru WY & NE & IA & ILL & MO )