Cat behavior question

Geek

Well, while we are trying to find our lost cat I adopted another. Best case is I get to have two cats. New cat is a male, neutered and declawed. We adopted him from ARF. He is amazing and we are thrilled. We got him on Sat. and this morning he sprayed on the couch and left little pee droplets around the house. He has used his litterbox up until this point. I cleaned it and put his feet back in his litter box. Do you guys think this is a medical problem?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Geek said:
Well, while we are trying to find our lost cat I adopted another. Best case is I get to have two cats. New cat is a male, neutered and declawed. We adopted him from ARF. He is amazing and we are thrilled. We got him on Sat. and this morning he sprayed on the couch and left little pee droplets around the house. He has used his litterbox up until this point. I cleaned it and put his feet back in his litter box. Do you guys think this is a medical problem?
Sounds like he is marking his territory.

Geek

He made sure he got my son's backpack from school. DS is the kitty's favorite so far. I am just hoping he doesn't need to mark every day. He has peed in his litter box a lot.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Geek said:
If he's neutered, he shouldn't be "spraying" on anything. :confused: If he's pizzing in the house, he's probably marking his territory, as RR mentioned. There's nothing medically wrong with him, you just have to give him time. This is an adjustment for you and him both.

cattitude

My Sweetest Boy
Chasey_Lane said:
If he's neutered, he shouldn't be "spraying" on anything. :confused:

Any cat will spray..male or female...whether neutered or spayed. Most often it is a psychological problem. He is unhappy or upset most likely. How old is he? Could be why he was at the rescue in the first place.

Geek

He is an amazing animal, he looks so much like the cat I had for 19 years it makes my heart all warm to look at him. He is friendly and sweet, follows us around and meows. Still getting adjusted to the dogs. I want to go real slow because he has no claws, I want him to feel safe and the dogs not to make him feel scared.

Geek

cattitude said:
Any cat will spray..male or female...whether neutered or spayed. Most often it is a psychological problem. He is unhappy or upset most likely. How old is he? Could be why he was at the rescue in the first place.

He is three years old. He has had the run of the house a bunch of times with no problem. This morning was the first time. He made sure he dripped in every room. I hope he is just scenting because he wants to make himself be at home.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Geek said:
He is three years old. He has had the run of the house a bunch of times with no problem. This morning was the first time. He made sure he dripped in every room. I hope he is just scenting because he wants to make himself be at home.

That chit stinks too.

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
Geek said:
I hope he does not have a problem with it.
Chances are he's insecure about his surroundings. Give him lots of attention and praise. Maybe try regulating his meals and don't leave food out all day for him. Also, make sure he has a clean litter box. Just don't use an ammonia/bleach mix to cleanse it.

Club'nBabySeals

Where are my pants?
Oftentimes cats that have been declawed as adults can have issues with "spraying" or urinating in the house.

When was the little guy declawed?

Geek

Club'nBabySeals said:
Oftentimes cats that have been declawed as adults can have issues with "spraying" or urinating in the house.

When was the little guy declawed?

I do not know. His foster parents only had him for a week. I am going to take him to the vet for a microchip, maybe I can ask them if they can tell if it is recent declawing. I have never owned a declawed cat before (I don't think people should do that to cats) but he won me over with his personality. He just totally rocks. He is so sure of himself. He sleeps on my boy's head and kneads his hair. DS just wakes up laughing and petting the cat. I am in love. He has not sprayed again..yet.