Disney

MMDad

Lem Putt
I have the best inlaws. They decided that we need to take our kids to Disneyworld. We were looking at the cheap places near Disney. My FIL said no, we must stay on the grounds, and on the monorail. He's forking up for five days in the Contemporary tower, airfare, etc.

I've always been uncomfortable accepting gifts because with my dad the gifts always have a condition. With my FIL, he just enjoys giving. I'm learning to accept because it makes him happy to give.

My questions: (kids are 4 and 6, and they are the focus)

We want to do Sea World for one day. We don't want to do a rental car or city bus. Has anyone done a limo or towncar? How much?

We haven't been there since '98. What are the "don't miss" things now?

Is Animal Kingdom worth our time?

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I took DQ a year and a half ago (she was 6), and we did Seaworld and Magic Kingdom (plus some non-Disney activities/sightseeing), and that was plenty for her. There is just so much to see and do at both places that -- for her -- anything else would have been too much ... overstimulation. You really could spend two days at MK, and one at Seaworld, and still probably not see everything and ride every ride.

We didn't stay on-site though; rather, at a resort about 10 minutes away. And I'm glad because I'd had about enough of Disney and screaming, crying kids by the end of each day that I couldn't wait to hit the heated pool and tiki bar without having Mickey and Donald sauntering about. :lol:

If time permits, consider a trip out to Cape Canaveral for some educational sightseeing, and Daytona to fulfill your redneck racing needs. :yay:

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
MMDad said:

Chicklet (6 y/o) and I went last summer and she LOVED Animal Kingdom! Do not miss the Lion King show, it is great! It was crowded, but not nearly as so as the Magic Kingdom. She was able to have her picture taken with a bunch of the characters and get their autographs, a big highlight for her.

mv_princess

mv = margaritaville
MMDad said:
I have the best inlaws. They decided that we need to take our kids to Disneyworld. We were looking at the cheap places near Disney. My FIL said no, we must stay on the grounds, and on the monorail. He's forking up for five days in the Contemporary tower, airfare, etc.

I've always been uncomfortable accepting gifts because with my dad the gifts always have a condition. With my FIL, he just enjoys giving. I'm learning to accept because it makes him happy to give.

My questions: (kids are 4 and 6, and they are the focus)

We want to do Sea World for one day. We don't want to do a rental car or city bus. Has anyone done a limo or towncar? How much?

We haven't been there since '98. What are the "don't miss" things now?

Yes Animal Kingdom is worth it.....They have a new Rollercoster it is suppose to be GREAT!

I would say because of there ages......Disney would be best, They will be passed out by the time you get back to the hotel room. (*I'm 22 and I do*).

The Contemporary is the BEST hotel on the grounds. You will enjoy your self!!

Tina2001aniT

mv_princess said:
Yes Animal Kingdom is worth it.....They have a new Rollercoster it is suppose to be GREAT!

I would say because of there ages......Disney would be best, They will be passed out by the time you get back to the hotel room. (*I'm 22 and I do*).

The Contemporary is the BEST hotel on the grounds. You will enjoy your self!!
We weren't too impressed with Animal Kingdom, but the Lion king show DEFINATELY made it worth going......

Geek

I have taken the kids to Disney every year for the last 7 years.
http://www.disboards.com/
Have been a wonderful resource. Every question you can imagine has been asked and answered here. The family threads are awesome and really have great packing lists. You will have a great time! P.S. Don't take the kids to the Stitch ride if they do not like scary things in complete darkness.

Hessian

When ya going MM?

I'll be doing Sea World with my daughter/wife in Early April
I know it sounds odd but I avoid Disney--Humanism is a real religion and has been in Disney for decades.
*"12 million years ago, dinosaurs..."
*"Mankind will be able to solve many of the world's problems by moving into space..."
*Absence of any reference to Christianity and God -even in Founder's/President's Hall ...sterilized intentionally. Disney was hostile to Christianity and it still shows today.

Last edited:

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
Hessian said:
I know it sounds odd but I avoid Disney--Humanism is a real religion and has been in Disney for decades.
*"Mankind will be able to solve many of the world's problems by moving into space..."
*Absence of any reference to Christianity and God -even in Founder's/President's Hall ...sterilized intentionally. Disney was hostile to Christianity and it still shows today.
Disney aside, why not present kids (as they grow older) with all the options and let them decide for themselves what they believe? Personally, when someone tells me that I WILL do something, you can bet your sweet ass I'll be doing exactly the opposite (unless I detect they're pulling some reverse psychology crap on me :lol:)

MMDad

Lem Putt
Hessian said:
We'll be going in mid-May. I agree that Disney is one sided, but I also believe in exposing my kids to all views and helping them make informed decisions. Have a great trip!

JollyRoger

MMDad said:
We'll be going in mid-May. I agree that Disney is one sided, but I also believe in exposing my kids to all views and helping them make informed decisions. Have a great trip!

I hope your not going on gay day!

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Hessian said:

:rolleyes:

marianne

MMDad said:

If you'll be at a Disney resort for 5 days, spending 1 day at SeaWorld, I would suggest 3 days at Magic Kingdom and 1 day at Animal Kingdom rather than 4 days at Magic Kingdom.

Hessian

$$$

I saw that even with the AAA discounts ...one adult ticket to any of the three parks is over 56.00.
Holy Cow!
Throw in overpriced meals and some trinkets and for our family of three: we are well over 200.00 for the day.
My heart just isn't in this-it really is a waste of $$ for me because I find so little "amusing" at these parks. I spend most of my time sitting on a bench somewhere reading a brochure...waiting for my daughter to finisher her 6th trip through some ride witha 15 minute line.
Ugh,...stupid idea.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
We've been to Disney three times in the last few years, just Magic Kingdom and Animal Kingdom. We might take the kids to Epcot next year. Our kids are preschoolers, so we haven't yet tried Universal Studios. But the kids love Sea World as well.

Animal Kingdom is fun, but it isn't an all-day thing like the Magic Kingdom. The African Safari had some dumb episode at the end about a rickety bridge and poachers. I would much rather see the animals. The walking tours of African and Asian animals are the best part, and our kids loved the Lion King show.

We've always stayed outside the park, but we might consider staying at the Grand Floridian or the Polynesian for the food.

Hessian said:
Absence of any reference to Christianity and God
I think by keeeping everything secular, Disney is simply catering to customers of all religions, not just the Christian ones. Maybe the dinosaurs might be considered hostile to Biblical literalism, but Biblical literalism not the same as Christianity. The parks don't have explicit references to other religions. For example, Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride includes nothing about Koranic doctrine.

If you want explicit Christianity in a theme park, there's the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.

marianne

Hessian said:
I saw that even with the AAA discounts ...one adult ticket to any of the three parks is over 56.00.
Holy Cow!

Yeah, when I began planning our trip, I quickly realized the hotel/airfare was not the expensive part. The >$200 for a family of four to go to Disney for a day was the expensive part. What's killing me is how they game the ticket prices so that you feel compelled to stay for 5 or even 10 days because the cost per day is so much cheaper that way - argh! And I don't believe it's much cheaper getting tickets through military MWR - I think all you save is the tax.

Tonio said:
I think by keeeping everything secular, Disney is simply catering to customers of all religions, not just the Christian ones. Maybe the dinosaurs might be considered hostile to Biblical literalism, but Biblical literalism not the same as Christianity. The parks don't have explicit references to other religions. For example, Aladdin's Magic Carpet Ride includes nothing about Koranic doctrine.

If you want explicit Christianity in a theme park, there's the Holy Land Experience in Orlando.
Well said, Tonio! :clap:

MMDad

Lem Putt
kwillia said:
Well said, Tonio! :clap:
:yeahthat: The last thing I want is giant entertainment company trying to teach dogma and doctrine. They can stick to entertainment, and I can take care of my kids spiritual education as I see fit.

Thanks for the info, Tonio. We have an afternoon flight home, so we're thinking of spending that morning in Animal Kingdom. I'm also thinking Seaworld is a half day.

Since we're staying on the Monorail, we'll be able to hit Magic Kingdom and Epcot same day easily, and that's what we plan on doing.

Hessian

Earliest Disney memory...

I think I was there in the early 70's...they were just beginning the Epcot globe....Some of Tomorrow land was packed because of our recent Moon landings...simulations of the launch sequences etc.-yes...I still remember with a smile.

Later when I chaperoned some HS seniors I found myself listening to the "fragile earth" narrations...followed by Walter Cronkrite's detached voice telling us that all our hopes rest in exploring space.
Soon after was constant references to the millions of extinct species & dinosaurs..over millions of years.
Then add the painful "Small world after all"..with all the cultures joining hands in mythical glee. (I felt like Shrek!)

The reason why I mention this is that I DON'T want to go to some Fundamental camp/park ...but I do want to go to some place that isn't saturated in Political Correctness and Humanism. I'd like to go someplace that says..USA-#1...not on par with Nepal and Ghana.
What is science exploring?, discovering? & having breakthroughs? without lessons in evolution or condemning our consuming lifestyle.
Does this make sense?