yellow perch

oldman

Lobster Land
river rat said:
Okay fellas, where are the yellow perch running at?

There are few around but the secret word is if the weather stays warm they should be coming upstream with the full moon on Tuesday. I belong to the SOMD CCA chapter and will be going out tomorrow and Tuesday to look for eggs. We collect the eggs, raise and then release them in hopes of repopulating the local waters.

D

dems4me

river rat said:
Okay fellas, where are the yellow perch running at?

R, get your tail over to Slavens, yellow perch were biting like crazy over there, also cats, regular perch, carp and then eeel :barf:

oldman

Lobster Land
oldman said:
There are few around but the secret word is if the weather stays warm they should be coming upstream with the full moon on Tuesday. I belong to the SOMD CCA chapter and will be going out tomorrow and Tuesday to look for eggs. We collect the eggs, raise and then release them in hopes of repopulating the local waters.

Wow was I wrong. Went to the upper Mattawoman this morning and found eggs have already been deposited so they've already been upstream and are now going back out. They can still be found in numbers in holes 10 feet deep though.

Mikeinsmd

oldman said:
Wow was I wrong. Went to the upper Mattawoman this morning and found eggs have already been deposited so they've already been upstream and are now going back out. They can still be found in numbers in holes 10 feet deep though.
I thought they usually run in late Feb. :diva:

D

dems4me

oldman said:

Thats where I was fishing this weekend!! Pulled up 3 decent ones on Sunday :yahoo:

oldman

Lobster Land
Mikeinsmd said:
I thought they usually run in late Feb. :diva:

It depends a whole bunch on water temp, or so they say, but it's usually March.
They were getting ready to come upstream earlier this month and were being caught but it wasn't until the water temp was OK that they came upstream to lay their eggs. The SOMD CCA chapter pretty much keeps good tabs on them and there are some members that really know their stuff. We have many people that monitor many rivers here in MD and keep stats on the findings. I'm new at this and would not have guessed they were perch eggs/strands I was looking at. Sort of like frog eggs/strands but much bigger.