Orange catfish??

D

dems4me

This weekend, I kept pulling up redish/orange bellied catfish up at Slavens pier (Mattawoman River, down 210). What is that? I thought at first it was a few sick fish or something but I saw about 50 of these in the past two days between what I was catching and others were catching... they were rather small for a cat and seemed a little green ontop, and then orangish red bellies... WTH are these???? Is this a new breed or just how they look in March???:confused:

D

dems4me

itsbob said:
Snakehead...

:lol: This was a catfish and had two long black whiskers. :lol: Although it didn't sound like a catfish... it wasn't making the "waagaaawaagaaawaaagaaa" noise the normal channel or blues do, it still was unmistakenly a catfish. :lol:

Suz

33 yrs & we r still n luv
dems4me said:
:lol: This was a catfish and had two long black whiskers. :lol: Although it didn't sound like a catfish... it wasn't making the "waagaaawaagaaawaaagaaa" noise the normal channel or blues do, it still was unmistakenly a catfish. :lol:
I don't have a clue, but how did they taste? :whistle:

D

dems4me

Suz' said:
I don't have a clue, but how did they taste? :whistle:

I didn't eat any :barf:, I thought may it was mercury poisoning or pcb problem or something... it was just kind of weird..

W

Wenchy

dems4me said:
I didn't eat any :barf:, I thought may it was mercury poisoning or pcb problem or something... it was just kind of weird..

I can't give you a link at this point, but it appears that rockfish could possibly give you a severe skin reaction.

They are poisoned, and millions of tax dollars can't tell us why.

I figure the same thing has happened to your catfish, and turned them orange.

D

dems4me

Wenchy said:
I can't give you a link at this point, but it appears that rockfish could possibly give you a severe skin reaction.

They are poisoned, and millions of tax dollars can't tell us why.

I figure the same thing has happened to your catfish, and turned them orange.

My Dad was telling me about that too, he said it was on the news a few days ago. He said that folks that are eating these particular RockFish are getting a skin rash. I'll check DNRs webcite tomorrow. Thanks

W

Wenchy

dems4me said:
My Dad was telling me about that too, he said it was on the news a few days ago. He said that folks that are eating these particular RockFish are getting a skin rash. I'll check DNRs webcite tomorrow. Thanks

You're welcome.

I cried when I read about it.

Rock is my favorite fish, and I won't ever eat another one.

We have polluted the Bay to the extent that there is no going back.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Wenchy said:
You're welcome.

I cried when I read about it.

Rock is my favorite fish, and I won't ever eat another one.

We have polluted the Bay to the extent that there is no going back.
The people getting the rash aren't eating the fish, they are HANDLING the diseased fish.. the pictures online show it VERY obvious to know if the fish you caught is diseased.. and I think they said less then 10% have this bacteria... If you catch a healthy looking fish, it probably is healthy, and safe to eat.. I'm going to be eating some here PRETTY soon.. 15 April baby!!

Mikeinsmd

dems4me said:
This weekend, I kept pulling up redish/orange bellied catfish up at Slavens pier (Mattawoman River, down 210). What is that? I thought at first it was a few sick fish or something but I saw about 50 of these in the past two days between what I was catching and others were catching... they were rather small for a cat and seemed a little green ontop, and then orangish red bellies... WTH are these???? Is this a new breed or just how they look in March???:confused:
:worthless

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
:worthless

Crap, I had camera with me so I could post a pic but was too lazy to go out to truck to get it... plus they were biting so good, didn't want to miss "the big one" :lol:. Definately will do it next time. :lol:

Mikeinsmd

dems4me said:
Crap, I had camera with me so I could post a pic but was too lazy to go out to truck to get it... plus they were biting so good, didn't want to miss "the big one" :lol:. Definately will do it next time. :lol:
Is this them? Yellow Bullhead.

Attachments

• 57YellowBullhead24cmTopBottom.jpg
    57YellowBullhead24cmTopBottom.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 105
D

dems4me

I havn't seen anything on it at DNR's webcite. I'll send them an email asking about it... Daymn I REALLY wish I'd taken pictures now :banghead: :banghead:

D

dems4me

Mikeinsmd said:
Is this them? Yellow Bullhead.

Yes, that looks a big like them :clap:, they were a little more orange and redish on the belly (maybe it has to do with spawning or something) but that is them!!! Its a PITA trying to get the hooks out of those! Most cats, you can tug a bit and get it out, these you need to wrestle with. :lol:

Ponytail

dems4me said:

I grew up catching those in local ponds in the PA mountains. Caught a few in the river too. We always called them "Bullheads". They are a greenish grey on top and a pale orange on the bottom, and they will talk to ya when they are out of the water. And they are SOOOoooooo tasty. :yum:

D

dems4me

Ponytail said:
I grew up catching those in local ponds in the PA mountains. Caught a few in the river too. We always called them "Bullheads". They are a greenish grey on top and a pale orange on the bottom, and they will talk to ya when they are out of the water. And they are SOOOoooooo tasty. :yum:

You should shoot up to Slavens, its crawling with those right now. The guy down from me insisted the entire bottom of the River must have been covered with these.

Ponytail

dems4me said:
You should shoot up to Slavens, its crawling with those right now. The guy down from me insisted the entire bottom of the River must have been covered with these.

I haven't fished in years, and don't forese an opportunity to go for quite some time. But, if YOU catch these things again, give them a try.

The easiest way to cook/eat them, is basically to leave them whole minus the head, fins and tail. It's SUPER easy to de-skin/fin them. Hit them with a pipe or something to kill or knock them out. Hit them HARD the first time, otherwise, they start talking, which, if you're not prepared, can be somewhat disturbing. :lol: Slice around them just cutting through the skin behind the head, nail them to a board thru the head, grab the edge of the skin with a pair of plyers and peel it like your taking off a sock at the end of a long hard day. Cut out the top fin, lop off the head and throw them in the pan with some light breading, butter and lemon, and MMMMMmmmmmmmMMMMMMMMMM! Damn I'm hungry, and I JUST got back from Bear Creek too.

Last edited: