suggestions for newbie to Maryland

scarecreaux

LaissezLesBonsTempsRouler
I just moved here from New Orleans. Since it is mostly tropical there I am sure I will have to find a whole new list of plants as favorites for my yard. Does anyone have any suggestions or links where I could find a large array of suitable plants for the Maryland region? Anything will be appreciated as I will be planting in containers on the deck as well as beds in the yard.

sushisamba

Purrrrrrrrrrrrrr
scarecreaux said:
I just moved here from New Orleans. Since it is mostly tropical there I am sure I will have to find a whole new list of plants as favorites for my yard. Does anyone have any suggestions or links where I could find a large array of suitable plants for the Maryland region? Anything will be appreciated as I will be planting in containers on the deck as well as beds in the yard.

Welcome! :howdy:

www.homesteadgardens.com

My favorite nursery. It's in Davidsonville, MD

justbeachy

can be a real beach
scarecreaux said:
Blackeyed Susan's are the state flower. They do well and come back every year. Panseys do well too. Welcome :howdy:

Toxick

Splat
scarecreaux said:

Myself, I prefer desert foliage - cactii, palm trees...

But then, I don't know much about plants, or gardening. This this might help:
http://www.gardenguides.com/articles/maryland.htm

MysticalMom

Witchy Woman
Welcome to the county. :howdy: Did you lose your home in Katrina? I lived in New Orleans as a child and the devastation there brings tears to mey eyes.

And any local garden store will be able to help you with your gardens.

scarecreaux

LaissezLesBonsTempsRouler
Thanks for the links, suggestions, and quick responses. Ya'll are much quicker than the last group I was a member of.
I personally didn't loose anything. I lived on the military base south of New Orleans. It sustained no flooding and minimal wind damage. My family was blessed. However my prayers still go out to those in the region who were less fortunate. They still need help and the road to recovery in the Gulf Coast is one which will take years.